Page 1 of 3
LastLast

World of Warcraft for the 360 or PS3

I have had this thought for a while and I want to no fro other people do u think it would be a cool idea that blizz would expand it's horizon and
    then put a world of Warcraft ( even a slow one considering most xbox's or ps3's are the same processor , but do u think it could work or the interface and all the gameplay and such just wouldn't work the same even if it was pretty well formated just thought maybe and I expect alot of people to comment in a rude manor but still comment in any way u want thanks in advance

Re: World of Warcraft for the 360 or PS3

Blizz already stated that they WILL NOT make a console version of WoW.

However, I think they should make a single/multi player dungeon crawler (much like Diablo) for the consoles that's in the WC universe.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

They should put it on there, and then let me use my keyboard and mouse to play it! Both consoles have more than enough power to run it. I prefer the PC just because of the keyboard and mouse, but in the age of USB I think it should be easy even if they hard-coded drivers into the game itself. It would eliminate the need for things like antivirus and would pry help eliminate some hackers. Plus who wouldn't want to play on your TV with good quality.

It will NEVER happen but I like the idea.

no.

just no.

The better question is: "Why?"

No.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Phaild0rf
    no.

just no.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

IG: We've yet to see a blockbuster MMO take off in the console space. Sony Online Entertainment is going to be bringing its MMOs to the PS3. What about Blizzard? You said you talked with Microsoft?

RP: Microsoft has shown us some stuff they have in development and they asked us our opinion about it – that's all that was. But as far as MMOs on consoles, there's a lot of challenges. I'd say challenge #1 is the input device. So if you're going to port a game like WoW how does that work? Do you ship a keyboard and a mouse? Do you try to make a game that [adapts] to all the different controls and buttons? That's a porting issue. The bigger issue would be things like hard drives. I think WoW now is about 10 gigs and we're always pushing out more content. That's something cloud computing could eventually solve, but in the current generation of consoles that's a lot to deal with. You'd have to eat almost the entire hard drive, and there are Xbox consoles [sold to consumers] that don't have hard drives. So that's a big issue.

Another big issue is how to actually do patches because the certification process is pretty arduous to do that. I know that's something Microsoft is trying to work out so you can do more updates and the certification process is faster, but it's not going to be nearly as fast as we can do it. We just put it through our QA department and upload to our servers. ... Then, the other big issue is the business model. Right now, Microsoft and Sony charge platform fees for retail, but if you do an MMO there and it's subscription-based, they're going to want a cut of the subscription revenue too, and so that becomes a hurdle. So there's definitely a lot of hurdles right now for doing MMOs on a console, but it all can be overcome and I think in the next generation of consoles it'll be much easier.
    Source

TLR Don't count on it 8)

I've actually allready done this, wanting to play wow on my tv, and not having an HDMI compatable one yet, i decided to install wow on my ps3.

The PS3 has the ability to partition its memory and then install linux so the ps3 basically becomes a nice little 300 dollar computer. jsut plug in a usb mouse and keyboard, install wow and your good to go, playing on a nice tv screen. dont have experience with the 360 but im sure you can do this in some way or another...

Quote Originally Posted by scytis
    I've actually allready done this, wanting to play wow on my tv, and not having an HDMI compatable one yet, i decided to install wow on my ps3.

The PS3 has the ability to partition its memory and then install linux so the ps3 basically becomes a nice little 300 dollar computer. jsut plug in a usb mouse and keyboard, install wow and your good to go, playing on a nice tv screen. dont have experience with the 360 but im sure you can do this in some way or another...
    Sounds like too much work for a crap version of WoW, PC's nowadays handle so much more then consoles.

Elitist Group addon. Tells you what GS won't!

My PC just crapped out... So if anyone knows of a way to make it possible on the 360, I'd like to know exactly

how you done it and what I would need to buy/do etc.... Thanks..

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Savarea
    Sounds like too much work for a crap version of WoW, PC's nowadays handle so much more then consoles.
    Not to mention that WoW runs like garbage in WINE under linux. At least that was my experience. WoW in WINE can't use DirectX, so you end up with WoW using the OpenGL engine, which eliminates half of your graphic effects off the top. Also, no matter how much config.wtf tweaking I did, I couldn't get better than about 65% of the framerate I get while running in Windows.

As far as the PS3/Xbox360 version idea goes, I only know of one MMO that even attempted it (though there may be some I don't know of)... Final Fantasy XI. So far as I know, it wasn't a "failure" so to speak, but most people played with a USB mouse and keyboard. At that point, why not play on a PC?

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    At that point, why not play on a PC?
    Because a games have system requirements not every PC can achieve.
    Every game for console is made for that console, so a 100% guarantee it will work.
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Quote Originally Posted by scytis

I dunno how much things have moved on since I tried this, but installing Linux on the PS3 gives you access to about 220MB RAM and no access to the 3D acceleration IIRC. How on earth did you get WoW running on Linux with those specs?

You barely had enough RAM to run the off-the-cd installer for ubuntu without it bombing out, let alone a full WINE install running WOW.

X360

DISC 1 Classic
    DING 58...Running to outland
    Entering Portal
    WARNING- CHANGE TO DISC 2
    DING 68...Running to Northrend
    WARNING- ChANGE TO DISC 3

PS3
    Enjoy!
    | Lenovo Legion5 17ACH6H | i7 8700K @ 4.7 GhZ| ASUS Rog Strix Z370-F GAMING | 32 GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3600MHz | 2 x Acer 27" Predator XB271HU | Fractal Design Meshify C | Master MasterLiquid ML360R WaterCooling | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | Samsung 980 PRO M.2 1Tb | Asus RTX 2070 | EVGA 650W GQ | Steelseries Rival | Logitech G815 | Playstation 5 | Xbox Series X | Nintendo Switch

No WoW on Xbox:
    http://www.wow.com/2006/03/03/confir...t-for-the-360/

However it is possible to use ur xbox controller to play warcraft:
    http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/14820/...360-Controller

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Keile

However, I think they should make a single/multi player dungeon crawler (much like Diablo) for the consoles that's in the WC universe.
    Maybe like DAO. My friend managed (with a shit load of tech, not sure how he did it) to get WoW to run on his PS3 with the linux, but it didnt run well at all.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhdCslFcKFU

Quote Originally Posted by Keile
    Thank God.
    Screw consoles they RUINED everything that meant good games for PC.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Huntaer
    Because a games have system requirements not every PC can achieve.
    Every game for console is made for that console, so a 100% guarantee it will work.
    Final Fantasy XI was a cross-platform MMO. It was released on PS2, then PC, then Xbox 360. Many players who played on the PS2 (much weaker than an average PC) used a USB keyboard and mouse. It just defeats the purpose to me. My brain can't wrap around playing a game on a console with a USB keyboard and mouse when it's available on PC.

For games only released on console, I can 100% understand potentially using the USB keyboard and mouse setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkeltoe
    Source

TLR Don't count on it 8)
    Bullshit.

Final Fantasy XI: Online was/is a huge success for the PS2 and XBOX 360.

WoW would utterly fail on the consoles, why? because there is no reason to put it on the consoles. WoW would not play well with the console controller, which can be seen by the attempt at playing it with a 360 controller mentioned earlier in this thread.

At the same time, you all DO know alot of video cards can hook up to a Television hi def, right?