Druid Tankink & Chellenging Roar

Hello all,

My main as druid is healing ... but last few weeks I try to tanking. Just found one spell working a bit wierd or maybe I am doing something wrong.

Challenging Roar
    for example when I was tanking Halls of Reflection - Escape the Lich King - And I lost few add and I used it ... looked like it didnt work properly and i didnt get mobs attacking me for 6sec! Had similar experience few times.
    Does that skill should work like normal Taunt just AOE ? Or is this skill just for initial AOE aggro ?

Ty for any help

Re: Druid Tankink & Chellenging Roar

It's just like normal Taunt, but AOE.
    It could have missed or the mobs were simply out of range, nothing else is possible actually.

Not exactly like a normal taunt (Growl).

Growl puts you at the top of the threat list and forces the target to attack you for a bit. Challenging Roar only does the latter, so you still have to work your way to the top yourself.

What you're describing however sounds like the spell missed some of the targets in the pack, or perhaps they were further than 10 yards?

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=6795
    Effect #1 Attack Me
    Effect #2 Apply Aura: Taunt
    http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=5209
    Effect Apply Aura: Taunt
    Radius: 10 yards
    And i'm pretty sure, that the "Attack me" effect is not the thing that
    Quote Originally Posted by Selverein
    puts you at the top of the threat list
    :P

a tip for HoR unrelated to your taunt issue that might prevent you from even needing to use ae taunt:

tell your dps to kill mage/priest or priest/mage (order depending if they can kill the mage before the priest heals it) first even if you aren't targeting them, then go pick everything else up first.

Well, I can't say I have an explanation on how Wowhead datamines abilities in the game.

But I'm 100% positive on the ability's mechanic and if proven wrong on this one I'll be damned surpised.

I can't say I'm 100% sure, but I've used challenging roar as a backup when growl misses on tank switch fights. It does put you at the top of threat as far as I remember. Could be wrong, I rarely use it.

Hello, feral druid is my main. I can tell you with certainty how challenging roar works.
    Challenging Roar forces all mobs around you to attack you, however after the duration of the roar, if you aren't on top of threat the mob(s) will attack whoever is highest in threat. The problem with challenging roar is, it doesn't put you on top of threat. Threat remains unchanged after using this ability. Period.

I would gladly bet my account on it.

Quoting the high rated samarium's comment on http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=6795#comments :
    Quote Originally Posted by Samarium
    Sets your current threat equal to the highest player on the mob's threat list.
    that's Apply Aura: Taunt

Quote Originally Posted by Samarium
    forces it to attack you.
    and that's Attack Me

Or vice versa, according to Selverein's and Chooki's experience, in which I have no doubt.

I wasn't absolutely certain so I went out to Icecrown to test it myself before responding.

Scenario:
    Frost dk aggros lvl 80 elite mob in Icecrown
    I faerie fire it to put myself on its aggro table
    Frost dk builds threat until the mob is at half health then lets diseases all wear off and stops attacking
    I come in, challenging roar and hit the mob a couple times but my aggro does NOT go to 100% on Blizzard's threat tooltip
    Mob goes back to DK after the six second duration

Tested on multiple 80 elite mobs, results were the same every time. Challenging roar is only a fixate effect (forces the mob to attack you), but does not in any way increase or set your threat to the highest aggro target.

Drelimar, could you please check the growl's effect than?

For as long as I can remember Growl's effect forces the target to attack you for its 3 second duration and also sets your threat equal to that of the highest person on the target's threat table.

Challenging Roar forces all mobs around you to attack you, however after the duration of the roar, if you aren't on top of threat the mob(s) will attack whoever is highest in threat. The problem with challenging roar is, it doesn't put you on top of threat. Threat remains unchanged after using this ability. Period.
    Other players have to be 130% of your aggro to pull it off you.

While this doesn't change your threat, it does effectively add 30% aggro because the current target is now you.

You don't need to be the highest in aggro to hold it... as long as no one is more than 30% higher than you, you will keep it.

lol Growl is just a taunt it doesnt need testing, it makes the targeted mob attack you and put you at 100% of its threat and it will stay on you as long as someone doesn't surpase you by the amount needed... (10% for melee, 30% for ranged) Challenging Roar is not the same as Growl at all other than the targets around you will target you for the duration of the debuff, the key is when using it that you no have time to build you threat passed the amount needed more easily because your not chaseing everything all over the place, but if theres still people over your threat ( you havn't built enough threat to pull it back ) that mob(s) will run right back to the target.
    Its really simple to test if people dont beleive the ones that are trying to explain it, go out in the wilderness with a friend, find a mob that wont die in one hit and have your friend hit it once or twice, than without you hitting it or anything just use your challenging roar, boom you have agro, But Wait...... after the debuff wears off it goes right back to your friend WTF.... thats how it works, if you try the same thing with Growl the target will stay on you because you should be moved to top threat.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Cortano
    Other players have to be 130% of your aggro to pull it off you.
    Right, or 110% at melee range.

One other thing -- with taunt/CR and spellcasting mobs, they'll finish whatever spell they're casting before turning to attack you. So don't be surprised if the mobs are still targeting someone else for a few seconds while they finish their casts.

Correct it's a fixate; and in situations like a boss fight where you have to tank switch and growl misses, its benficial to use to keep him on you until your taunt comes off cd, before the fixate ends.