Thread: Elemental Deeps

Elemental Deeps

I having been playing an elemental shaman for about 3 months now and I know a good grasp on the characters mechanics and rotation. But I still feel as if I am missing the boat because my dps seems to be very low on the meters. Right now my rotation is FS,LvB,LB,LB,LB,LB,LB,LB,LvB....etc. I know my rotation is pretty tight, but I feel maybe I should be doing something else that could give me that extra DPS I need.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...s&cn=Woodshock
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/t150e74gw2wlecbe/

I have also posted my guilds WWS from a couple of our kills in ICC.

Any help would be greatly apperciated!

Re: Elemental Deeps

When I play im just thinking like this:

Tier 9
    FS>LvB>CL>LB

But I don't know how it is with the new set because they are changing it?

Your not using cl???? Theres your problem

The only thing I can really find is that your "active time" is lower than other casters in your raid. From looking over my own parses this means you either are not doing a good enough job at moving and getting back to casting, or you are not chaining your casts as close as you possibly you can. What is your latency like? Do you use Quartz?

I am usually sitting at a 268 latency, and no atm I am not using quartz. I am usually good at getting back to position to DPS and ! do not believe CL is the problem though this is what I am going off of for single target DPS

http://wowhats.wordpress.com/2009/10...ain-lightning/

I think the set bonus on the tier10 sucks... and that's why your dps are so low.
    if you check my gear I aint got that much better then yours but I am pulling like 6k< dps on bosses.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...denar&cn=Avono

Quote Originally Posted by Woodshock
    I am usually sitting at a 268 latency, and no atm I am not using quartz.
    This may sound daft, but try mashing your keys.

No, seriously.

You see, the WoW server allows you to "queue" your next spell about 0.3 seconds or so before whatever you're casting finishes. This helps limit the otherwise extremely negative effect of latency on caster DPS.

The trouble is that we humans also take some time to "react" to stimulae such as a spell cast finishing. Average reaction time to a visual stimulus is in the region of 200 ms (0.2 seconds).

So if you start casting only when your spell bar finishes - let's assume 300ms latency for simplicity's sake:
    Code:
    Time / Action
    0ms: your spell finishes casting
    <--- reaction time --->
    +200ms: you react by pushing a button
    <--- latency --->
    +500ms: the server gets your instruction
    So in this scenario every spell is effectively taking 0.5 seconds longer to cast.

Now, if you get Quartz and time your next cast by its latency bar, that changes to:
    Code:
    Time / Action
    -300ms: Quartz cast bar enters red latency area
    <--- reaction time --->
    -100ms: you react by pushing a button
    <--- latency ---> (during which 0ms: your spell finishes casting)
    +200ms: the server gets your instruction
    So in this scenario you're only getting 0.2 seconds extra per cast.

Now what if, immediately after your spell starts casting, you start mashing the button for the next spell?*
    Code:
    Time / Action
    -300ms: you are already repeatedly pressing the button
    <--- latency --->
    0ms: your spell finishes casting
    0ms: the server gets your instruction and starts casting the next spell
    So at this point you've almost eliminated the effect of latency on your DPS. (Obviously there'd be a short delay between button presses but that's harder to model.) (Also note that the client doesn't let you queue spells during the first second of a cast, so you can't accidentally queue the next-but-one spell!)

The upshot is: try to eliminate reaction time and latency by knowing which spell you're going to cast next and repeatedly pressing the button when your cast is in its last 0.5 seconds or so. It sounds stupid but it may well help your situation.

*Edit: I should probably add that constant button mashing is not actually a good idea in most situations because the actual queue mechanics are a bit more complicated than what I've suggested - it's just the easiest way to test if latency is having an effect. Incorrect use of button-mashing can actually add latency to your casts.
    Zamir's Blog // Elemental Beginner's Guide // Elemental ZAP! Spreadsheet // TotemSpot Community

Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you will not find another.
    -- Carl Sagan

there is a demo lock in your raid, drop fire elemental and searing...
    Time waits for no one.
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Thanks for the info guys.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Grunthunter
    Your not using cl???? Theres your problem
    Armory is being a pos today so I can't see his haste, but why would he be using CL on single target fights assuming he is at the proper haste levels?

There is an elemental shaman guide at the top of this forum, I would advise looking at it.

Also if you want someone to compare your dps to then take a look at mine from this week http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/8cote48tavjt50yh/

Now, this will be somewhat squed since our kills are far faster than yours but if it can help at least a little then yay.

Also since most fights requirement lots of movement, I tend to reapply flameshock if I am going to be moving for a global therefore I will not have to cast it if I am standing still.