Are Oldschool Instances Easier Now?

Ever since the new Dungeon Finder went live, I've been leveling a lowbie with 4 of my RL friends from work. We're doing all the oldschool instances as a premade 5-man, and even at the appropriate level for any given instance we seem to be facerolling our way through content that I remember being quite a bit more challenging pre-TBC.

Example.. this wednesday we did Uldaman with a 42 Pally tanking, my 38 Priest healing, and a 33 Mage, 41 Hunter, and 41 'Lock as dps. Maybe slightly over-level, but gear was mostly under-level greens, with a few blues here and there.

We were AoE'ing whole rooms at a time, including bosses, which totally wasn't possible at those levels back in vanilla. Granted Pally tanks were a subject of mockery back then, so that kind of AoE tankage wasn't really possible, but has it really got that much easier?

Or is it just that I was such a complete noob in vanilla that I found stuff hard when it wasn't? :P

Disclaimer: I'm not QQing about WoW being too easy, I just found it surprising how much things have changed.
    ----------------------------------------
    1999 - 2001: Ultima Online
    2001 - 2004: Dark Age of Camelot
    2004 - Today: World of Warcraft
    *** 19 years of MMO gaming ***
    ----------------------------------------

Re: Are Oldschool Instances Easier Now?

When the normalised the levels within each dungeon, I'm sure they editted the skills in some way to conform to that level.

Also makes a huge difference when it's a full group of people knowing what they're doing compared to just only your self. Most cases when I'm solo I'll be doing 60% of the damage.

I never found them hard back in vanilla when I had 2 other friends leveling up with me on a new server. All we did was instance.

Yup, it's a faceroll all the way to 80 (and on 80).

I just beat the personal pug record in Auchanai Crypts: 11 minutes.

The reason is the wotlk talents, nothing else.

WOTLK talents, slightly better gear scaling (in the sense that the gear is still very basic at that level, no ArPen/hit/whatever to worry about) and better AoE capacities for all classes helps a lot when you compare it to Vanilla. It was a bit harder, yes, but it wasn't so much that the mobs were stronger than the fact that we're stronger.

New talents and class mechanics. Thats all there is. Having some vanila experience also helps.

Several things - instances were changed a bit back around 2.2 - 2.4 which made some (including uldaman) a lot easier

you're a whole lot less of a noob now then you were then, as are your levelling mates

and yeah, the BC/WoTLK talent changes mean your..."power level"? not sure of the phrase... is just naturally higher now because of the talent changes.

Sometimes this isnt the case, due to the level ranges for each instance.

For example, the Level requirement for Mara - Orange Crystals is 39 - 47ish. Tanking level 46 elites as a level 40 paladin is not pretty lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraphernalia
    If stupid we're a crime, you'd be put in the chair.

all that content was nerfed by 30% hp and Damage for all mobs and bosses.
    "Those who dance appear insane to those who can't hear the music." ~~ George Carlin

10+ Year Old Account

people still do low level dungeons? i stopped trying to get exp or gear up in dungeons after noticing it was much easier just to power level my way through quests making dungeon gear obselite.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef
    people still do low level dungeons? i stopped trying to get exp or gear up in dungeons after noticing it was much easier just to power level my way through quests making dungeon gear obselite.
    Never leveled a tank in the new LFG im guessing. it is really fast.
    "Those who dance appear insane to those who can't hear the music." ~~ George Carlin