15+ Year Old Account

New Bear Druid - Aggro Problems

Armory in sig

So, my Druid hit 80 a few days ago. I crafted her some bracers, bought t9 with the badges she got from leveling, and joined a heroic.
    Well, as you can guess, a freshly dinged bear doesn't do much threat - but it was fine most of the time (got an icc25 equipped fury warrior once, and he basicaly tank'd every second mob, just impossible to hold aggro no matter what i do, but thats to be expected and it went fine.)
    It goes on like this, and besides standard advice [How to Bear] i wondered about one thing.

H UP, first pull. I lose aggro from one mob, try to taunt it - nothing happens. mob rapes clothie and comes back to me. after the pull i check recount and was surprised to see that my taunt didnt miss as i first thought, but he was immune to it. that rather surprised me... anyways, going on, while picking up a quest item (i know lol) a pack of wolves and such came down the stairs. Instantly i charge in and hit my Challenging Shout. one wolf was again immun and killed the healer.

Now, i just wonder - what happened?

Re: New Bear Druid - Aggro Problems

If multi Mob more then 2 try charge, maul/swipe, then maul/mangle. If two or less charge, maul/mangle with the gliph. Swipe is a great starter for more then two target. then you can maul/mangle, lacerate- swtich maul lacerate-and so on till you have a stack or two on each and work swipe into your rotation as much as you can. And if the dps is targeting and single attacking other then your target..... I say let them die. but that starting swipe should be enough to hold healing agro.

Also never taunt pull. If you dont charge then FF pull. that way you have your Oh *^%^ button (taunt, ready to be used) just in case your first hit misses.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...aAoumi2,,10571
    First of all, spec into it. You can't tank anything with your spec properly
    No idea about the taunt thingy, but your spec was freaking me out.
    And your dps-spec too.

Quote Originally Posted by Deralte
    Armory in sig
    H UP, first pull. I lose aggro from one mob, try to taunt it - nothing happens. mob rapes clothie and comes back to me. after the pull i check recount and was surprised to see that my taunt didnt miss as i first thought, but he was immune to it. that rather surprised me... anyways, going on, while picking up a quest item (i know lol) a pack of wolves and such came down the stairs. Instantly i charge in and hit my Challenging Shout. one wolf was again immun and killed the healer.

Now, i just wonder - what happened?
    Those wolves in UP can be commanded by their Vykrul master to attack a specific target. When that happens, there's nothing you can do as a tank. They'll stop after a while, but the healer will need to heal whoever they target meanwhile.

As for the first pull though, I'm not sure. 3 Vykrul and potentially an Abom, I don't think any of them has a special "must kill X" ability. Perhaps a DPS (Warr, Pally) spammed their Taunt until DR made the mob immune? Sounds a bit far-fetched but I have no idea.

15+ Year Old Account

Seconded on the spec change, although I use Imp Mangle + 2 extra points rather than MSS (both are totally viable). Without Rend & Tear / primal gore, it doesn't surprise me that you lost aggro. You might as well get the minor glyph for Challenging Roar as well.

On the taunt immune, it must have been on DR, or I can't think of anything else that might have happened.

Get Glyph of Maul. It helps. A lot.

Make sure to maul all the time. By far the most common mistakes bear tanks make is not mauling enough. Make macros of each of your attacks, and have them:

/cast mangle
    /cast maul

/cast swipe
    /cast maul

/cast lacerate
    /cast maul

Check out your damage and ensure that less than 5% of your DPS is from melee damage. You should be mauling that much.

Berserk. All the time. Every time its up and you have 3 mobs in front of you.

Don't stack stamina on your gear. I know there is a lot of pressure to keep a lot of health, but you are a lot better off going 28K health and decent damage than 35K health and no way to hold aggro.

For a spec:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...LYJFho,w,10571

(use the extra points anywhere you like)

15+ Year Old Account

Okay, thanks for the replies so far.

Will spec accordingly in a while..
    Quote Originally Posted by Selverein
    Those wolves in UP can be commanded by their Vykrul master to attack a specific target. When that happens, there's nothing you can do as a tank. They'll stop after a while, but the healer will need to heal whoever they target meanwhile.
    That could be the case...
    Quote Originally Posted by Selverein
    As for the first pull though, I'm not sure. 3 Vykrul and potentially an Abom, I don't think any of them has a special "must kill X" ability. Perhaps a DPS (Warr, Pally) spammed their Taunt until DR made the mob immune? Sounds a bit far-fetched but I have no idea.
    I was also really surprised. But i had a mage, rogue, shamanhealer and a warlock in the group, so noone who could taunt.

Ok to be sure, those wolves DO get immune to taunt sometimes, so that was not your fault

When i started tanking i had problems too, i had pretty decent gear but one problem, my weapon, if you got a bad weapon ur threat drops, when i had Staff of Trickery ( VH hc epic drop) i did 6k tps on a boss, when i upgraded to hc Archon glaive, i can do as much as 8-9k tps. Well i also refined my build. So try to upgrade your weapon if possible.

Then when i was tanking more and more, youll notice that u will get used to it, to do what is best at packs. Also, look for some macros like Swipe and maul.

But just get used to it and become better then.

Cheers
    Originally Posted by spicie View Post
    Real Life is just an illusion caused by lack of WoW

Just to add to what has been said about macroing in Maul with your other attacks: it might not always be the smartest thing to do in Heroics. I did it back when I started and I ended up massively rage-starved on pulls with only one/two mobs. Being the thick-headed idiot that I am, I didn't think to skip the macros in Heroics until I was just about ready giving up tanking because aggro was such an annoying mechanism :

But a little beginner-tip: use Berserk. Not necessarily all the time, but it can be a big help on problematic pulls (allows you to knock a few Mangles into a caster mob before just leaving it without losing aggro) or on pulls where the mobs fear (last section of Utgarde Pinnacle comes to mind). This is the sort of thing you'll get used to, though. I tend to almost always use Berserk at the same points in any dungeon once I've been there a few times.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Deralte
    That could be the case...
    That's what happens with the wolves. When they have Fixate on a random player, they are immune to Taunt and all forms of CC (sheep, stun, fear, anything). You basically have to live through it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arel
    That's what happens with the wolves. When they have Fixate on a random player, they are immune to Taunt and all forms of CC (sheep, stun, fear, anything). You basically have to live through it.
    Indeed, best to mark the wolves up for early death on those pulls. Ofc the dps will ignore the marks, but then it's their fault when the healer dies.

Use FF every CD. It's the best threat generation ability you have and hardly any bear's realise it...

Quote Originally Posted by paul2k9
    Use FF every CD. It's the best threat generation ability you have and hardly any bear's realise it...
    No maul is, and I'm not sure if mangle is better than FF or not. It does about 2.5x more dmg but I'm not sure on the threat multiplier.

If you're taking heavy dmg and not worried about your threat (one of the blood princes when he's not infused perhaps) then you should avoid FFF. It doesn't proc SD. When you're trying to push your TPS then include it.

15+ Year Old Account

Hmm okay, will look into it today, currently farming badges as cat.

Bought shoulders first (to replace the BoA ones) and thought about getting the t9 chest next.

Sometimes I wonder about posters on this site and the advice that is given.....bear agro is easy swip tab swipe tab swipe taunt maul if you lose a target than swipe tab swipe period

Single target FFF/maul/mangle/maul/lac to 5 stacks/mangle on evey CD
    Granted inm in all totc or better gear but im class druid class lead in my guild and heal for lots of new druid and they never have a prob after this

Now all the idiots please respond but try it itll work
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Drak%27thul&n=Roshney
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Drak%27thul&n=Velynara
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Drak%27thul&n=Shalischa

@ the OP. I would suggest taking a look at the bear tanking thread stickied at the top. You've probably already heard a lot of what is discussed but it's a good read if you're wanting to tank more.

Second, if you make the maul macros make sure the first line is #showtooltip and the second is whatever ability you want to use with the third being maul. Yes, they're not always a good idea in heroics because or rage gen issues, but in raid's they're amazing.

15+ Year Old Account

Currently i'm only tanking heroics, so i'll avoid maul macros for now.
    Respecc'd to the build Unba (and cortano) posted, and threat seems to work now (maybe cause i'm using all cat gems n enchants? )
    Now, before i start gemming and enchanting for bear, can someone give a me an idea what badgegear i should buy first?
    And, should i buy the 245 head or rather go 4pc? (i'm not really barkskin all that much, not used to such a short cd)