Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Orc vs Troll, what to roll?

Just a simple question. I know it has been answered many times, and I apologize for beeing lazy but I just want a quick answer.
    I'm currently playing a night elf hunter and i'm probably going to reroll to horde anytime soon. Which race should I pick? Both Trolls & Orcs got their bonuses, but which race would be the best choice?

I am currently specced as marksman, but I don't want to pick a race just cause of the specc, I want the best choice for pve in the long run. Maybe I won't be MM in Cataclysm..

Re: Orc vs Troll, what to roll?

Why troll? haste shit is shit for hunters. 1 % crit? or whaT?
    i rolled orc cause i wanted to go bm (5% damage for pets) plus racial ap every 2 mins is better than haste i believe. Anyway i made mm in tbc so bm was far behind. And if think 5 % damage for pets as he s super happy :P
    But it s all nearly same)

Troll has the best racial by far
    20% increased attack speed is ZOMGWTF better than 300something ap..
    unless ur BM now, the 5% pet dmg is not very much.

15+ Year Old Account

Trolls win when the best weapon is a bow.
    Orcs win when the best weapon is not a bow.

There are some tiny detalis that could make the orc better than a troll.

The most obvious one is the AP Racial, which could influence your Serpent Sting dmg, if you refresh your sting right when you have Blood Fury on, and as MMs if you refresh it then and keep it up with Chimera, it will keep your extra dmg that it got from that little extra AP

Then the 5% pet damage increase, which added to the 15% from the t10 2pc set bonus and then you also have 3/3 in Culling the Herd, considering that you are and should be using a wolf pet, is a pretty constant dmg increase to you and your pet.

The arguement can go on like this for ages, the ideea is that both orcs and trolls have something that the other race doesn't have, and depending on the point of view they can be better or not.

"How many gnomes does it take to paint a wall?" -"Depends on how hard you throw them"

Quote Originally Posted by Arrhead
    There are some tiny detalis that could make the orc better than a troll.

The most obvious one is the AP Racial, which could influence your Serpent Sting dmg, if you refresh your sting right when you have Blood Fury on, and as MMs if you refresh it then and keep it up with Chimera, it will keep your extra dmg that it got from that little extra AP
    I believe this is not the way Chim/SS works. To my knowledge, haste rating (so not rapid fire, bloodlust etc) is calculated when you cast SS, and is maintained when you refresh, same with damage modifier %s (iron council etc) , and AP is recalculated when you refresh it, i'm not sure about crit.

edit: ugh, blurring the boundaries between priests and hunters, haste doesnt affect SS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerlu
    www.femaledwarf.com

Learn it, love it.

15+ Year Old Account

AP is recalculated, crit is not.

This is not the way ss/chimera works... % based increases will continue to roll with your serpent sting if you refresh it with chimera; but not a flat ap bonus

300 ap < 20% haste

you say haste is crap for hunters; but thats because the only class mechanics you know are what you read on this forum..

haste is a crap stat when chosen over arp, crit, hit(when under cap of course); but 20% haste will increase your overall damage a lot more than 300 ap; since your auto shot is the largest portion of your damage as marksman; assuming that we are really only talking about marksman since its the top dps spec

Also 1% crit from bows is very nice; but I believe trolls still beat orcs even when this bonus cannot be applied

Quote Originally Posted by zaronn
    This is not the way ss/chimera works... % based increases will continue to roll with your serpent sting if you refresh it with chimera; but not a flat ap bonus

300 ap < 20% haste

you say haste is crap for hunters; but thats because the only class mechanics you know are what you read on this forum..

haste is a crap stat when chosen over arp, crit, hit(when under cap of course); but 20% haste will increase your overall damage a lot more than 300 ap; since your auto shot is the largest portion of your damage as marksman; assuming that we are really only talking about marksman since its the top dps spec

Also 1% crit from bows is very nice; but I believe trolls still beat orcs even when this bonus cannot be applied

For my gear on femaledwarf, troll + berserking + bow > orc + BF + bow by 25 dps.
    If i use a different weapon, orc/bf > troll/berserk by 63 dps.
    www.femaledwarf.com

Learn it, love it.

10+ Year Old Account

orcs are muscley trolls are skinnier , seriously you people take stats and abilites when choosing a class? i just chose the race that looked the most appealing at the time 0o

Orcs have a better dance, true story.

The racials arent THAT much of a difference, to be honest. Also, take into account that troll haste lasts 10 seconds, while orc ap lasts 15. On a side note, best hunter in my guild was an orc. He had a pretty equal troll classmate but he usually did slightly more dps on various fights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat
    A warrior is kinda like a blender. You can shatter it from a long way off with a gun, or you could even pull the plug so it can't move, but if you stick your face into it when it's moving you're going to lose.

roll orc

i hate trolls

and yes this is an constructive argument

topic that rhymes
    Quote Originally Posted by MildCorma
    I found myself in a magical setup the other week and my damage dropped through the floor like a 90 year olds tits

Orc all the way and make him look like thrall for extra win

Racials are being reset in Cataclysm, don't judge the races based on their current abilities, they're all being changed. Pick whichever race you like the most for now. If you're going horde, nothing beats a cow with a wolf.

I think... It all comes down to what kind of raiding you're going to be doing.

Little to none - Whatever you like best

PvP strictly - Orc (stun racial) or Tauren for extra health and War Stomp

Casual - Orc if you just want to pull good numbers

Super Cereal Bissnezz raiding - I would say if you really want to be competative, Troll. While Orc is good when you're starting to gear up (most of the easier pieces to pick up have a lot of haste), the higher you get in teirs, the lower your haste is going to get with upgrades. Making Berserking more valuable over Blood Fury. And as it was said earlier the BiS weapon is a bow, and Trolls gain 1% crit.

If you're not going for looks and your going for beneficial racial abilities (smart thing to do)
    then this is my oppinion

Orc for hunter. the attack power buff is more beneficial than that of a 20% haste for 10 seconds. Through talents and rapid fire, this would prove to only chip off an additional 0.2 seconds on your bow/gun attacks.

You mentioned Beast Mastery. Orc would be beneficial again due to the 5% damage increase your pet recieves.

Hope this helped.

2P T10=Zerking and Eng gloves ftw
    BO0ooOOooOOo0oooOO0OOooOO0ooo0OOOo0oOO0NEST0RM!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...uttnikk/simple
    ^Deepz served here^

Quote Originally Posted by Zyggie
    If you're not going for looks and your going for beneficial racial abilities (smart thing to do)
    then this is my oppinion

Orc for hunter. the attack power buff is more beneficial than that of a 20% haste for 10 seconds. Through talents and rapid fire, this would prove to only chip off an additional 0.2 seconds on your bow/gun attacks.

You mentioned Beast Mastery. Orc would be beneficial again due to the 5% damage increase your pet recieves.

Hope this helped.
    20% haste is 20% haste though, they stack multiplicatively. If you were getting off 10 shots during rapid fire, it'll be 12 with 20% more haste. The "only" .2 doesn't mean much unless you're under the speed cap that I hear may or may not still exist.

Quote Originally Posted by thisloser
    I think... It all comes down to what kind of raiding you're going to be doing.

Little to none - Whatever you like best

PvP strictly - Orc (stun racial) or Tauren for extra health and War Stomp

Casual - Orc if you just want to pull good numbers

Super Cereal Bissnezz raiding - I would say if you really want to be competative, Troll. While Orc is good when you're starting to gear up (most of the easier pieces to pick up have a lot of haste), the higher you get in teirs, the lower your haste is going to get with upgrades. Making Berserking more valuable over Blood Fury. And as it was said earlier the BiS weapon is a bow, and Trolls gain 1% crit.
    I don't follow. How is haste more valuable when you have less of it?
    www.femaledwarf.com

Learn it, love it.