Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Stick with Skinning ?

I have Skinning at lvl 270,and my question is:

Should i stick with it till lvl 450,is it possible to make good gold with it,you know how much per hour or so ?

Thanks !

Re: Stick with Skinning ?

Skinning will always be the worst gathering profession, as long it is only needed for one profession.
    so you won't be making a lot of money with it.

But it's easy to level and it's 40 crit for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

True, its the worst profession and gives you 40 crit at 450 skill level.

Yes you can make gold, but not a lot. It's bonus isn't great either. There are much better proffesion choices.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Skinning is fine while you're doing heroics; it's sort of ok in ToC but you should get rid of it before you step into raiding.

Like all professions skinning only really generates gold when you're out using it to farm; it's about the same per hour as mining or herbing really, unless you're brain dead and can't figure out which mobs you're supposed to kill. Skinning is a little bit better in heroics than herbing and a ton better than mining in terms of resources available to be skinned in zones.

10+ Year Old Account

I farm the hell out of regular borean leather. Get that made into heavy leather, trade ten to merchant in front of leather shop in Dalaran for an Arctic fur.

Its worthwhile for a few reasons, most of them mentiomed above. Its best to have an alt skinning/lw toon. Unless your not into major HM raiding(I'm not) then your proffs really don't matter as much. When min/maxing they do. Alt proffs are nice tho in the long run

My toons:
    Mage - tailoring/engin
    Paladin - BS/mining
    DK - herb/alchy
    Shaman - skinning/lw

At lvl 80, I can get a stack of heavy borean leather about every 20 minutes.
    Sells for ~100g a stack on my server. Plus, you get the arctic furs, and all the greens that drop.

all gathering skills can give you decent amount of gold.. just wait until you max it approx 1K+ gold per day. Just find a good spot and have quality time AH. I'm sharing info what i get from a guide, its true i almost hit the gold cap.
    Make your gaming experience a lot better!
    wow strategy guide

I would never have skinning on a character I would play properly on. I recently leveled a priest with no professions untill 80, and I'm now leveling Herbalism/Skinning because I'm not playing the character seriously. I plan on leveling a Human Hunter as an "serious alt" in Clysm, and I'll be picking Inscription and Leatherworking on it. Mats provided from this "not-so-serious alt" priest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raunoman
    Only idiots quote themselves

10+ Year Old Account

I had skinning before they made it possible to buy Arctic fur for 10 Heavy Borean Leather, and back then it was a pain to farm, sometimes you were extremely lucky and got 8-10 of them after 1 hour, but sometimes you only had 1-2, and then you chould only sell it for 100-120 gold pr. Fur. So it was hardly worth it.

Nowadays, you can buy them for 10 Heavy Borean Leather, and the average price for them on the AH is 50-60 gold, they sell for half the price, but they are 5 times easier to farm.

But i would never drop Tailoring to level it up again
    Then he fapped to his own pseudo-intellectualism and no one ever loved him. Ever.

The End

15+ Year Old Account

assuming 40 crit rating is the same item budged then eg. 40 strength or 40 agility or 60 stamina etc pp... it's the same as any other profession - even close to the same as JC... only thing is ... well ... how useful is critrating for any class? most classes are better with direct stats like int, agi, str, stam or maybe arp. so that's the real deal with skinning being worse than other professions.

But there's a choice when cataclysm comes out, that it MAY shine again, because that very small amount of people with skinning and that big amount of people with leatherworking ... leather will be short on the market. And due to that, expensive. It'll become an extremely good gold making profession at the very first few weeks/month of cataclysm. It will become bad over time again, but if you do it right and don't care about leveling at first but skinning the shit out of cataclysm, chances to get rich will be good.

I'm not a min/max person. My rogue has eng and skinning and I like having a little extra crit as combat.

Oversized Avatar removed - Cilraaz

Skinning is mainly worthless, the crit is nice, but not great, and skins have low value on the AH.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

in 45 minutes I got 18 stacks of Borean Leather and 4 Arctic Fur.

3 stacks of Borean Leather =10 Heavy Borean Leather = 1 Arctic Fur.

Arctic Fur on my server was selling for 60g at the times so 10 arctic fur = 600g.

Not bad for about 50 minutes work.
    Insert Signiture here.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanoble
    in 45 minutes I got 18 stacks of Borean Leather and 4 Arctic Fur.

3 stacks of Borean Leather =10 Heavy Borean Leather = 1 Arctic Fur.

Arctic Fur on my server was selling for 60g at the times so 10 arctic fur = 600g.

Not bad for about 50 minutes work.
    Wanna share that spot ? :>
    Quote for reply

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    skins have low value on the AH.
    what server are you? coz in mine nope.. Alleria US.

if the price still low try to horde it first, just post it when do you think its worth the price and you have not enough spaces on bank and guild bank.
    Make your gaming experience a lot better!
    wow strategy guide

Quote Originally Posted by lordlight
    I'm not a min/max person. My rogue has eng and skinning and I like having a little extra crit as combat.
    you say that now. get a little better gear and you''ll be crit capping.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Skinning isn't entirely useless. ICC LW patterns are calling a demand for those arctic furs to make. You better start get up there.
    Depending on server, arctic furs range from 30 - 85 g from what I heard? Each! Heavy Borean also makes a hefty amount especially a stack which sells 200 - 325 g. Crit chance is nice. Advice from my brother says that you should keep some leather aside because once Cataclysm comes with new LW stuff. We both expect a huge demand for mats to level up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis
    I was drunk off my head once, and decided, (as you do), to challenge God to a fight.
    At that moment, it started raining heavily.

I learnt my lesson.
    What is a monster? Someone frightening the mob? Someone playing god? Or someone too scared to understand?

Its good money if you have some luck. Places like Azjol'Nerub, Violet Hold, etc can be skinning heaven .