Downranking spells by not learning higher level

If I didn't learn rank 2 of Arcane Explosion, would it end up being cheaper to cast arcane explosion rank 1 @ lvl80 than if I was casting the max level? I don't quite get how spells work nowadays since all my chars are melee based
    Stormscale Horde EU | http://lastrogue.com

Re: Downranking spells by not learning higher level

it should still cost as much mana @ 80 even though you havent learned it methinks

All spells work off of Base Mana now, so whether it be Rank 1 or the highest rank for it, it will still cost the same mana making the highest rank the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelbot
    CLEARLY this is blizzard ONCE AGAIN catering to casuals. Us hardcore have no problem with taking an extra 8 seconds to cast a basic camp fire. That's how it's been for years. This game just gets easier and easier, Blizzard may as well just hand out free camp fires all over the major cities at this point!

10+ Year Old Account

i don't know how not learning the higher level spell would affect it's mana cost, the cost is based on base mana pool

Quote Originally Posted by Pally_Power
    All spells work off of Base Mana now, so whether it be Rank 1 or the highest rank for it, it will still cost the same mana making the highest rank the best.

No, it would cost the same AND do less damage than a higher rank of that spell.

This was addressed in patch 3.0 I'f I'm not entirely mistaken, I remember atleast in Sunwell on my shaman I used downranked CH and could cast for ages without even being close to oom as my mp5 was higher than my manaoutput.

Aside from the fact they cost the same mana, just do less damage, you wouldn't need to do something nearly this retarded. Just open your spell book and tick the box that's "Show all spells" and it'll show you even the old ranks.

I stress to you again, like others, the highest rank is always the best. Same mana, higher throughput.

Thanks Wasn't sure if I'd be able to get away with having a cheap aoe for getting rogues out of stealth at 80 or not
    Stormscale Horde EU | http://lastrogue.com

10+ Year Old Account

worked well in vanilla and tbc though

Downranked spells cost more mana, i clearly remember it from checking my spellbook. I think it's post 3.0.
    "Seeping crest of turbidity, arrogant vessel of lunacy.
    Boil forth and deny, grow numb and flicker, disrupting sleep.
    Crawling queen of iron, eternally self-destructing doll of mud.
    Unite, repulse. Fill with soil and know your own powerlessness."

Primera - Elemental Shaman - <Vedo La Gente Morta> - Pozzo dell'Eternità IT

Quote Originally Posted by Dcruize
    If I didn't learn rank 2 of Arcane Explosion, would it end up being cheaper to cast arcane explosion rank 1 @ lvl80 than if I was casting the max level? I don't quite get how spells work nowadays since all my chars are melee based
    Spell cost is a %, doesn't matter the rank. Rank 1 explosion is x%, rank 10,000 explosion is x%.

10+ Year Old Account

Some spells can still be down ranked like Life Tap because it gives X Man for X Health.

My rank 1 shadowbolt costs more mana than my max rank.
    Hide behind a little Bloodelf Paladin?!? Ridiculous! Make way for the Beef of Light! I will shield you, little ones, and should I fall, remember that I taste amazing with Mustard.

It is viable for some spells that have a lower cast time or if you want to eat a spell reflect or r1 lifetap to stack trinkets pre pull.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjenk
    It is viable for some spells that have a lower cast time or if you want to eat a spell reflect or r1 lifetap to stack trinkets pre pull.
    This is really the only reason to downrank now, for getting rid of Spell Reflect.

Rank One Frostbolt is also very useful to use for applying the slow effect on the target as it has a quicker cast time.
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelbot
    CLEARLY this is blizzard ONCE AGAIN catering to casuals. Us hardcore have no problem with taking an extra 8 seconds to cast a basic camp fire. That's how it's been for years. This game just gets easier and easier, Blizzard may as well just hand out free camp fires all over the major cities at this point!