Tanking HOR guide works for me but let the flames roll

1 No need to LOS hurts you in most cases

2 Do not tank the priest but dps has to focus fire on it should be down in under 10 secs if mobs 4/5 or 9/10 use all your CDs if you need to in case heals need to heal dps

3 Healer and dps has to give you a few secs to gather them up if you cant stay alive for a few secs in the begining than you dont need to be there grab melee and head to the mage(hunter if no mage)

4 Taunt second ranged if you lose it 6/8 sec taunts should be enough to keep it off the healer

5 Pull melee mobs to secon ranged (make sure your backing up)

6 burn down second ranged EZ mode from here

7 if this doesnt work its probably not your fault i repeat its not your fault

I have a macro with this to spam and i havnt wiped in HOR last 10 or more runs
    This assumes you no how to all the other basic tanking abilities

****EDIT*****
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...thul&n=roshney

my armory so you know i have a smal ammount of skill
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Drak%27thul&n=Roshney
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Drak%27thul&n=Velynara
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Drak%27thul&n=Shalischa

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Tanking HOR guide works for me but let the flames roll

Personally, I'm a big fan of LoSing around the alcove. I guess before I realized the alcove was there, we just kind of ran around the room... but it won't group up the mobs nicely for aoe, and it delays your dps start time (since you have to run to multiple mobs to take a swing at them).

I was discussing this with some pally friends of mine -- they prefer tanking in the entrance where you first walk in. They were surprised that I like the alcove, having had little success with it themselves. After talking with them for a while, we decided it was their ranged interrupt (Avenger's Shield) and other ranged threat abilities that allowed them a better time with ranged tanking in general.

So, take it or leave it, but I think I'm pretty happy with how LoSing works out. It takes some getting used to -- you'll still occasionally have a mob that refuses to move and so on -- but in general, I think it helps.

Im a Pally and the issue I have with not losing is if you have a Heal Dot on you or a big heal was cast at about the time a group of "ghosts" activate they make a b line to the healer.

I always use the LOS/left Alcove. It is just easier and in order to get to your healer they have to go through you. My Conc and undead star stun spell usually gathers them up quite nicely. Also it gives a focused area for AOE and traps to protect said healer.

Im assuming you Bear tanks have a similar attack to grab multiple mobs?

It just makes sense.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

I have always found that LoSing works the best for me when im tanking HoR on my DK.

not getting double merc spawns any more pretty much de clawed HoR imo haven't had any real issues since the nerf doing it any fashion. fan of the entrance myself. keeps people out of the ae which is a large source of damage and im either a war or dk and both those can either move or silence ranged enemies.

I personally hate when people are trying to tell me how to play my class..but if whoever you group with needs it, i suppose it could be alright.

Except that tanks that need help on figuring out in which order to taunt mobs probably is better off LOSing :>

Stand in the corner until they get to the stairs, then walk out and swipe spam. taunt + FFF the ranged and use your cooldowns accordingly. easy peasey japanesey.

If you've ever healed this fight you'll realise that alcove is super retarded.

Use the brasier in the middle for LoS, kill mercs before they stun, dont intentionally tank everything(ranged) till after it dies. Have merc near dead by the time ranged ones run across room around brasier into swipe.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by getefix
    Stand in the corner until they get to the stairs, then walk out and swipe spam. taunt + FFF the ranged and use your cooldowns accordingly. easy peasey japanesey.
    This. Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by axxey
    If you've ever healed this fight you'll realise that alcove is super retarded.

Use the brasier in the middle for LoS, kill mercs before they stun, dont intentionally tank everything(ranged) till after it dies. Have merc near dead by the time ranged ones run across room around brasier into swipe.
    My alt is a healer (resto shaman); I've completed the instance both ways (alcove and not) on her. The only time I've had trouble healing either way is when a tank isn't capable of picking up aggro on all the mobs -- if they're running around dpsing lots of different people, of course it's going to be difficult to heal. Even with chain heal, there's no saving a group where everybody's tanking something different, at least at her gear level.

The one problem that can occur in the alcove is various ground aoe (flamestrike and whatnot) -- but in that case, as long as your group isn't full of idiots, it's easy enough to move over to the other side of the alcove or step outside of the corner for a bit. The only time you really need to be in the corner is between pulls; after that, once the tank gets aggro, everyone can (and probably should) spread out onto the stairs until the mobs are dead.

I'm going to say beating heroic HoR depends a lot more on the healer/DPSers than the tank.

Example of a recent one I just did: Had a resto druid healing, left the DPS and tanks at a deficit before the next wave pulled quite often, rolled the HoTs once the next wave was aggroable, kept running in front or to the opposite side of the tank when the waves started running towards the alcove... that's a recipe for disaster, since eventually the tank will get CC'd from not being top threat on the ranged adds (such as the fear, iceblock) or even having threat on a melee add (kidney shot). Eventually tank got Kidney Shot, melee adds raped the healer, wipe.

My experience healing this is that moving so the adds run over the tank is the most proactive thing you can do as a healer when you have aggro, or (god forbid) LoS that ranged add so it gets into tank range, or even LoS at all using the alcove strat. As a druid tank, you don't really have many ranged tools that'll get that mage or hunter to come to you, and success really depends on your healer and DPSers helping get everything under control. Most of my successful runs are on my ret pally, since I can AoE stun and Repentance that random add hitting the healer at ranged (despite tank complaints sometimes, lol), and my druid tank severely outgears my ret pally.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft
    I'm going to say beating heroic HoR depends a lot more on the healer/DPSers than the tank.
    this. I'd even say, only the dps. focustarget is much more working that the common "cmon we just aoe everything" mentality nowadays.

The problem was at the end of last year they decided to do some mods to this instance.
    Well they did, and F up big time on some things. They fixed some and left the rest.
    Every wave was instant agro to a hunter/pet and healers had max agro at the start of each wave.
    WTF I bitched and moaned...of course the WOW plants and fan boys defended bliz to no end.
    So I gave up.

They have since fixed some of this but not all, including dot agro.
    If he is druid heal, DON'T DOT at the end of a fight, nourish and swift. Yes I know its a bitch
    but those dots will get you some serious agro.

IF you are the tank, can't you remove dot on yourself?

I tell you one thing when I am healing I want to fight in the hallway. When I tank I want to fight in the hallway.
    Some people just go DUH and run for the alcove.

Aknot we have 1. and 1 interrupt that can't be counted on because of a long cooldown.

everyone not on same mob...BAD
    a dk or pally fighting an add I didn't see is life saver. Hell I wish arthas would pay the electric bill and get more light in there.

I have tanked HoR on my druid and my friends pally.

on my druid i find it much easier to stand by the door and just pick them up, running and swiping works for me, especially if you have a decant hunter to CC the other hunter and maybe a DK to death grip in an add from a distance for you. this works best for me on my druid and i dont like the LoS thing at all on him

on my friends pally the LoS tactic reigns supreme as all it takes is to run out and drop a consecration and mash the other buttons (whatever there called).

So it might depend on the class or your play style or maybe even a bit of both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stieger23
    By this logic the moon is more important than the sun. The sun gives us light in the day when we don't need it, but the moon gives us light at night when we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann
    "Warcraft isn't going to end as long as there still are Orcs."

Instance designed to help people in 213-219 gear quickly gear up isn't complicated in 232+ gear, news at 11.

As someone else said, HoR isn't that dependent on the tank. You should LoS to one side of the room, with the tank not out of LoS, just tagging mobs so that the DPS/healer group doesn't get things on them. Then the tank steps back into the room and the ranged and healer go to the opposite side of the room. That brings everyone to the tank, or into the room while also being out of range of the knockback. From there it's just you holding aggro and the DPS nuking things down. Not at all complicated if you outgear the instance. The real problem is when you do not have gear and having all those mobs on you requires a ton of healing and things can go wrong very quickly. Not much this strategy would do to change that, while it does over-complicate the pull.