Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Tanking Issue with Deathbringer Saurfang

I've recently been tanking ICC 10 for my guild. We attempted Deathbinger Saurfang tonight with myself and a Paladin tank. I would initially start aggro and have the Pally taunt off me when I got Rune of Blood debuff. My issue is that sometimes when it's my turn to taunt Saurfang will not turn to me and stay on the Pally. I'd say this happens 1/5 tries. Omen shows me on top threat when I taunt yet it still doesn't matter. Any suggestions?

Elitist Group addon. Tells you what GS won't!

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Tanking Issue with Deathbringer Saurfang

Quote Originally Posted by Savarea
    I've recently been tanking ICC 10 for my guild. We attempted Deathbinger Saurfang tonight with myself and a Paladin tank. I would initially start aggro and have the Pally taunt off me when I got Rune of Blood debuff. My issue is that sometimes when it's my turn to taunt Saurfang will not turn to me and stay on the Pally. I'd say this happens 1/5 tries. Omen shows me on top threat when I taunt yet it still doesn't matter. Any suggestions?
    Are you hit capped? Perhaps your taunts are just missing.

It's not missing, it registers as a successful taunt. Such a strange occurence it's mind boggling.

try gripping and taunting at once and just incase tell ur pally to stop attacking and you pump out big threat.

Side note: do you have rune strike macroed to every spell?

The pally might be standing there spamming tank moves right after you taunt, stealing the boss back almost immediately. Tanks should auto-attack and nothing more for a few seconds to let the new tank get a solid lead. Otherwise a couple of crits could put the other tank back on top. Talk to the other tanks you raid with. If a tank doesn't notice his debuffs and/or doesn't use any bossmods (e.g. Bigwigs, DBM, etc.) he might not know when to chill with threat. If someone tells you to "tank harder" or says that he needs to keep dpsing, he's just being bad.

Quote Originally Posted by killarth
    try gripping and taunting at once and just incase tell ur pally to stop attacking and you pump out big threat.

Side note: do you have rune strike macroed to every spell?
    Yes RS is macro'd to all abilities it should be.

I'll talk with our Pally tank about some of the other suggestions mentioned here, appreciate the help so far guys hopefully it's just something small that I can fix.

Here's my armory in case: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...olf&cn=Savarea

Edit: Armory showed DPS spec, should be fixed now.

Ok here is what is going on:

All taunts work in two phases

1) Adjusts your threat to be equal to that of the target they are currently on
    2) Focuses the Mob on you for X amount of time.

Either one of these CAN BE RESISTED independently from the other. What it looks like it is doing is the threat adjustment is working but the focus portion is being resisted meaning he never snaps to you causing you you get no RS procs so the pally continues to out threat you, thus the boss stays on the pally.

You are NOT hit capped for specials (8%) thus your taunt isn't capped. So that would be why it isn't working 100% of the time.

If it continues to be a problem, get the Glyph of Dark Command, that should solve the issue. (OR get the sword from Marrowgar 10m, it's hitrating up the wazoo)

This dual nature of the way a taunt works will make logs show that the taunt was "successful" when in reality it was only 50% successful.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Keile
    Ok here is what is going on:

All taunts work in two phases

1) Adjusts your threat to be equal to that of the target they are currently on
    2) Focuses the Mob on you for X amount of time.

Either one of these CAN BE RESISTED independently from the other. What it looks like it is doing is the threat adjustment is working but the focus portion is being resisted meaning he never snaps to you causing you you get no RS procs so the pally continues to out threat you, thus the boss stays on the pally.

You are NOT hit capped for specials (8%) thus your taunt isn't capped. So that would be why it isn't working 100% of the time.

If it continues to be a problem, get the Glyph of Dark Command, that should solve the issue. (OR get the sword from Marrowgar 10m, it's hitrating up the wazoo)

This dual nature of the way a taunt works will make logs show that the taunt was "successful" when in reality it was only 50% successful.
    One of the more informative posts i've read on mmochampion. Thanks for knowing your stuff!

I like the clarification on the taunt mechanic. That would explain the times in the past I'd observed this behavior. One bit of clarification though: Isn't taunt on the spell hit table, requiring 17% spell hit to cap?

Quote Originally Posted by Bael
    I like the clarification on the taunt mechanic. That would explain the times in the past I'd observed this behavior. One bit of clarification though: Isn't taunt on the spell hit table, requiring 17% spell hit to cap?
    TBH I'm not 100% certain on that; however since for classes with a taunt glyph (which adds 8% chance to hit for it) using it causes it to never miss, so I'd assume it is on the regular special hit table and only requires 8%.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

taunt is, for every class on a 17% spell hit table
    Quote Originally Posted by MildCorma
    I found myself in a magical setup the other week and my damage dropped through the floor like a 90 year olds tits

Quote Originally Posted by Keile
    TBH I'm not 100% certain on that; however since for classes with a taunt glyph (which adds 8% chance to hit for it) using it causes it to never miss, so I'd assume it is on the regular special hit table and only requires 8%.
    The taunt glyphs allow taunt to never miss if you are special hit capped. Otherwise you would need 17% spell hit (I think its about 10-11% melee hit)
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry
    The taunt glyphs allow taunt to never miss if you are special hit capped. Otherwise you would need 17% spell hit (I think its about 10-11% melee hit)
    Well that solves that conundrum :P

So yeah, OP, its a hit issue. You only have about 5% hit chance. So a new weapon with hit like the one i mentioned, or the glyph should solve your troubles.

Appreciate all the feedback guys, was very informative, thank you all much.

u cud switch out sum of the 30 stam gems for sum hit/stam in the sockets with the good bonuses (looking at helm). also the conquest shoulders hav sum hit and they r only a minor difference from teh 245 shoulders u hav atm.

are you using dnd? because dnd can work as a considerable tps boost right after a taunt(usefull if the other tank is still bashing heavy tank abilities out)

Quote Originally Posted by malletin
    are you using dnd? because dnd can work as a considerable tps boost right after a taunt(usefull if the other tank is still bashing heavy tank abilities out)
    BAD idea. DND can get the adds, boosting his blood power and causing a wipe. Not to mention the ROI on DND for single target is fairly low.

Not sure about the issue but I'm sure the OP helped you out.

My DK went into a Saurfang only fight(Meaning the person just wanted to finish him and it was 7hours before reset) at 4875-4953GS sitting at 44kbuffed. Tanking seemed pretty easy for the fight as when the Rune of Blood? got on the first tank, he stopped dps/taunts and let me grab it. Pretty easy to hold it.

Only error I made was hitting Heart Strike when Beasts popped. Lol I'll know better for next week. =) Did win Saurfangs 2H Axe, first time tanking it..

Quote Originally Posted by Savarea
    Glyph your taunt and it wont happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by jai151
    BAD idea. DND can get the adds, boosting his blood power and causing a wipe. Not to mention the ROI on DND for single target is fairly low.
    This is exactly right. The only thing I would add is that "fairly low" is a gross understatement. Download a threat parcing mod and you'll see that the full 10 seconds of DND does about as much threat as an AVERAGE deathstrike, assuming 100% of the associated heal was overheal. You're giving up a full rune worth of threat... more if you're anywhere below 100% health when it goes off.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkduck
    Oh god, i sure hope I don't reincarnate into a bad DPS because of my bad karma. It would suck to have to cry every patch because I'm afraid to lose my raid spot.