Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is Val'anyr still any good?

I picked up my priest alt and started farming again, will probably be doing some pugs/guild alt runs but nothing top end since it's not my main raider, and I wondered how Val'anyr stacks up against other healing maces currently available in the "BiS casual" bracket. I love the weapon and I want it anyway, was just wondering if it was worth using.

Opinions?
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

Re: Is Val'anyr still any good?

Yes very much so. Nothing out atm beats it besides the whispers of *possibly* Heroic Trauma. Even then the numbers valy puts up make me believe I will be holding onto it until Cata.

-Edit: Basically any other mace out is a stat stick compared to it.

15+ Year Old Account

it accounts for ~30% of the healing done by our druid with it
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Val'anyr is best in slot for all healers. At least until we see what Arthas has under his cloak.

of course its still good, ITS ORANGE

10+ Year Old Account

Thanks for the replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

I believe it is still BiS for healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Orgasmilk
    of course its still good, ITS ORANGE
    OT:
    So are you an Anarchist or do you just like the symbol?

Quote Originally Posted by Protspecd
    I believe it is still BiS for healers.

OT:
    So are you an Anarchist or do you just like the symbol?
    OT:
    So you're planning on killing us all or do you just like to make fun of death?

sigh...

Yes and No.

When assigned to tank healing: still Val'anyr
    when assigned to raid healing: Frozen Bonespike which I grabbed from Lord Marrogar.

Quote Originally Posted by malkolm
    when assigned to raid healing: Frozen Bonespike which I grabbed from Lord Marrogar.
    Because spamming shields on an entire raid whilst healing them is bad. Amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpton
    OT:

sigh...
    can't possibly be a reference to a funny scene out of a comedy... just can't :

on topic. /thread
    Signature not acceptable (e.g. too large), read http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/important-signatures/ - Regards, Olison

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpton
    OT:

sigh...
    Actually, it is just a .gif of a scene from Indiana Jones. His facial expression after his says 'We are going to die' perfectly matches the smiley '' which makes me laugh. Ahh I love the Indiana Jones trilogy.

It will remain the best healer weapon for PvE at the very least until Cataclysm is released. Period.

Arthas may drop a spectacular healer mace, but it won't have a proc as good as Val'anyr's, otherwise it would be legendary weapon in disguise and it is not Blizzards style to be that accommodating to healers

I imagine that at some point during Cataclysm, as more content patches are released and SP on maces continues to increase, we'll reach a point where the damage reduction from the proc will be outpaced by the high SP numbers on the new weapons, but my guess is as good as yours when that will happen. Blizzard may even decide to change the proc mechanics at level 85, although I hope that won't be the case. Legendary weapon procs shouldn't change over time.

I think that it depends a lot on class/specc/role/encounter/healing style and you can not really say it is best in general or [some other mainhand XY] is better in general.

People that have valanyr should definately also aim for an alternative with much more throughput or maybe also with another procc in order to be able to perfectly adapt to every situation and maximize their healing capabilities.
    Maybe some other healers from their guild are jealous and dont want them to get a new mace until late clysm but the people that got valanyr deserve it in most cases (due to very good raid activity and healing).
    Quote Originally Posted by Upptagen
    In TBC Casual's had their raids, and Hardcores had thiers.
    Casuals could progress in Kara, Mag, Gruul and some might have gotten to SCC and TK.
    The hardcores had BT and Sunwell. But don't forget! Alot of hardcores claims Kara to be the best raid instance in the game ever made, so why you wanna go BT?
    "Casuals had their raids, Hardcores had thiers, just because they are harder, it must not mean they are more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jst1998
    It will remain the best healer weapon for PvE at the very least until Cataclysm is released. Period.

Arthas may drop a spectacular healer mace, but it won't have a proc as good as Val'anyr's, otherwise it would be legendary weapon in disguise and it is not Blizzards style to be that accommodating to healers

I imagine that at some point during Cataclysm, as more content patches are released and SP on maces continues to increase, we'll reach a point where the damage reduction from the proc will be outpaced by the high SP numbers on the new weapons, but my guess is as good as yours when that will happen. Blizzard may even decide to change the proc mechanics at level 85, although I hope that won't be the case. Legendary weapon procs shouldn't change over time.
    Thunderfury.
    Because some players aren't looking for anything logical, like loot. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some players just want to watch the group fail.

its all about the proc ;D

Quote Originally Posted by mixed
    its all about the proc ;D
    You mean like minor beastslayer, where its only about the weapon glowing? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Upptagen
    In TBC Casual's had their raids, and Hardcores had thiers.
    Casuals could progress in Kara, Mag, Gruul and some might have gotten to SCC and TK.
    The hardcores had BT and Sunwell. But don't forget! Alot of hardcores claims Kara to be the best raid instance in the game ever made, so why you wanna go BT?
    "Casuals had their raids, Hardcores had thiers, just because they are harder, it must not mean they are more fun.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by malkolm
    Yes and No.

When assigned to tank healing: still Val'anyr
    /facepalm

that's the lovely thing about legendarys, they'll always be good for something:P I'm certain that the absorb effect will find it's use even in cataclysm
    I just got what Falric is talking about in HoR.
    Men, women and children... None were spared the master's wrath.
    Despair... so delicious...
    Fear... so exhilarating...
    Clearly, he was referring to the cataclysm class previews.

Val'anyr is still great. Even though it provides poor stats (mostly spellpower) effect is still great.
    As a healer, you don't need spellpower upgrades as much as casters.
    I'd choose occasional shield proc that prevents some damage rather than more spellpower to outheal it.
    "There's a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it."
    - William Wallace