Old Healer, New tank. What do I need to work on and what am I capable of.

Hi, Ive been playing my pally ever since wotlk came out, I played my mage in tbc, and my priest in Vanilla. Recently ive grown an interest in tanking, so ive been trying to gear accordingly. This is my armory.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Frostwolf&cn=Chrris

I am def capped. I have 35k hp self buffed. I was told that I need 8% hit rating, and 26 expertise. I have the 8% hit, and I have the 26 expertise when I put on my seal (using the glyph). My main question is, what items should be the next priority upgrades, and what do you all think I am currently capable of tanking. Any advice would be helpfull.

PS: I allready went to guides and I know the 969 rotation. And I currently heal most raids.
    Hello 15 year old that considers himself a mature, sensible and truthspeaking God of Man.

Re: Old Healer, New tank. What do I need to work on and what am I capable of.

Any heroic, and probably ToC 10 or 25 regular mode. The 8% hit and 26 expertise is nice to shoot for, but I wouldn't go out of my way to pick it up, as much of your threat is going to come from Holy Shield, which requires the mobs to be hitting you rather than the other way around. Survivability > threat for you.

As for upgrades, I'd look at that shield first. ICC10 drops a nice shield from the Gunship battle, and ToC10 drops a good one from Anub'arak. I believe the triumph badge libram is also superior - though it's an avoidance libram rather than a threat/mitigation one. The Fervor is also something of a piece of shit - I believe even Glyph of Indomitability from triumph badges is better. Hell, I'd even use the Brewfest stam trinket if you have it.

I also think you're socketing too much defense. After 540, you can just drop stamina gems in everything, and you'll be better off.

Have fun! I love paladin tanking.

every dodge gem you have....punch yourself in the face.
    every parry gem you have....punch yourself in the face twice.

;D ;D

No you look good for starting out.
    Replace your dodge gem with an agility/stam gem.
    Replace that parry/stam gem in your shoulders with a stam gem.
    Replace that parry/stam gem in your legs with an agility/stam gem.
    Swap def to chest with health to chest.
    Swap def to shield with stam to shield.
    Flip a coin over swapping agil to cloak with armor to cloak.
    Flip a coin over swapping agil to gloves with stam to gloves.

I don't really like BW. Some people claim it has a higher uptime than mongoose. Other claim mongoose does. I think mongoose looks sexier.

And welcome to getting punched in the face while staring a monster's junk.

And mostof your threat does NOT come from holy shield. Most of it comes from seal damage and hammer of the righteous.

Both posts very helpfull. I will imediatly change those dodge/parry gems to stam gems, and change my chest/shield def enchants to health/stam. I will also look into getting the 10 icc or 10 toc tanking shield. With those upgrades I will probably be 37k + hp.

PS: I also realize my dodge trinket isnt the best in the world. Im trying to replace it with the +228 stam trinket from the frost badge vendor as soon as I get enough frosts emblams.
    Hello 15 year old that considers himself a mature, sensible and truthspeaking God of Man.

Use tanking macro, one button is enough for fights like jaraxxus

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaster
    Use tanking macro, one button is enough for fights like jaraxxus
    what is tanking tanking macro? Im assuming its just my rotation in one button that I spam over and over?

Quote Originally Posted by gobgob34
    what is tanking tanking macro? Im assuming its just my rotation in one button that I spam over and over?
    Yes

Only bad tanks would macro their rotation to one button.

Don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedh
    And mostof your threat does NOT come from holy shield. Most of it comes from seal damage and hammer of the righteous.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjanson
    Any heroic, and probably ToC 10 or 25 regular mode. The 8% hit and 26 expertise is nice to shoot for, but I wouldn't go out of my way to pick it up, as much of your threat is going to come from Holy Shield, which requires the mobs to be hitting you rather than the other way around. Survivability > threat for you.
    Note the difference. I'm just saying it's not as big of a deal for us as it is even for other tanking classes, and even they aren't freaking out if they're not hit capped or expertise capped. On fights where threat is a big deal, misdirect and tricks is an autowin anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedh
    Yes

Only bad tanks would macro their rotation to one button.

Don't do it.
    Yeah macro it in 2 buttons. Your 6 sec CDs and the 9 sec CDs. Like the other posted, for fights like Jaraxus you can then GChat while tanking.

;D
    "Peace is a lie"

If I were you I'd take 4 pts out of benediction and put that into Heart of Crusader + Improved blessing of might (if you dont have ret pally) or jus 1 pt into benediction

Also change minor glyph to Sense undead, it helps a bit in ICC if you ever tank =)

Quote Originally Posted by tjanson
    Note the difference. I'm just saying it's not as big of a deal for us as it is even for other tanking classes, and even they aren't freaking out if they're not hit capped or expertise capped. On fights where threat is a big deal, misdirect and tricks is an autowin anyway.

I'm not saying you should stack hit/exp because they will boost your threat. Just saying that leading people to believe that HS is our highest threat generator is wrong. Almost all of our threat moves can miss or be parried/dodged. Which why we use the SoV glyph and SoV on boss fights. It is also why one of our strongest threat enchants on the weapons is accuracy.

But you shouldn't have threat issues. If you do other things might be at work.