LF Suggestions / Ideas

...as a new GM for a guild, I'd like some suggestions from you guys about good things you've seen from guilds and the bad things. What works, what doesn't, what is fun, and what wasn't. I'd like to learn from all your experiences so that it will improve those of the people in my guild. Thanks in advance!

Re: LF Suggestions / Ideas

Clearing content is fun.
    Waiting for Raiders to log on is not fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Being strict on time and attendance, gotcha.

And favorites people! Give them cookies, /cheer emotes during raids. That may make people work harder to also get cookies and /cheers emotes. Also... remember to keep fresh cookies. If they go bad, well... then your guild also might go bad :/

Patience! Being strict on policy is one thing, and I agree should be enforced. Being patient in raids is a must. Nothing worse than someone yelling over vent. Moral goes to the toilet and raises everyones nerves.
    [CENTER][URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp]

"ok one down...get that druid....wait...the druid is dead??"

Deleted

Issues and rule infractions are not resolved by warm fuzzy feelings, hot cocoa and marshmallows.

"They're only 5 minutes late" when invites begin 15mins prior to Raid time leads to slacking and responses of "well they can do it......"

-just be fair, nothing worse that clear favorites.
    -be constructive
    -lead by example, idk how many guilds ive been in with A++ raiders that have a gm that should be sitting on the bench.

Thanks guys, these are all good things to keep in mind. I know I have lead raids before in the past and I find myself having to calm myself before talking on vent, haha.

Whatever loot rules/mods you plan on using get it set straight before you start handing out the purps. Makes people foam at the mouth when there is a loot discrepancy.

15+ Year Old Account

Be fair with loot and bench;
    Strictly rules on keeping Vent clear, at least during progress raids;
    Strictly rules on show up time (you'll hate 10/15 mins late);
    You'll also want ppl to always check forum for last minute news from ppl that can't log in;
    Ppl that know tactics, you might meet alot of ppl that start with questions 30 secs before pull;
    Try to not yell too much on Vent, I think that sometimes you can do it, it won't hurt;

That's what came up in my mind now.
    roguein' since '05

To over recruit to get the raw talent, hurt feelings of those who can't perform by sitting them or demoting then and taking in fast progression.....or keeping a small tight roster and hanging on to the less skilled raiders.

15+ Year Old Account

I used an about 35 players roster during whole TBC.
    roguein' since '05

Quote Originally Posted by Pheromone
    Whatever loot rules/mods you plan on using get it set straight before you start handing out the purps. Makes people foam at the mouth when there is a loot discrepancy.

^^^^ This has lead to more /gquit than any other issue. Decide up front if you want to be strict like DKP and you reward/punish behavoir. The other spectrem is the pure /roll which leads to people getting lucky/unlucky and can cause issues. Then there is KSK in the middle. Research understand the +/- decide and explain the the guild why you picked what you picked.
    "Peace is a lie"

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Thevil
    I used an about 35 players roster during whole TBC.
    We had about 60 toons in guild. About 30-35 people and their alts.

Quote Originally Posted by seam
    We had about 60 toons in guild. About 30-35 people and their alts.
    Only 25-30 alts? I have 6 80s alone, lol. One raid main and one 10 man alt

2 Pallys
    1 Boom/Bear
    1 Mage
    1 Hunter
    1 DK

As well as a 74 Lok, 72 Shaman and a 30 warrior.
    "Peace is a lie"

10+ Year Old Account

If people bitch about getting not in a run for like 2 times, test them out by not bringing them along ONCE more!
    Quote Originally Posted by comasutra View Post
    yes, Blizzard hates Jesus Christ
    Quote Originally Posted by suspendedstasis View Post
    You need to leave the house to actually meet people, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer

^^^^ This has lead to more /gquit than any other issue. Decide up front if you want to be strict like DKP and you reward/punish behavoir. The other spectrem is the pure /roll which leads to people getting lucky/unlucky and can cause issues. Then there is KSK in the middle. Research understand the +/- decide and explain the the guild why you picked what you picked.
    Haven't really looked into KSK. Reading up on it now. We have considered moving from our current loot system for Cata. Are you a fan of it?

We're gonna go with a 5 man loot council with no GM veto power. A truly non-biased loot council, I believe, is the best.

Also, one of the big things I was hoping to get suggestions on is how to keep the guild bank filled up with money, besides the obvious selling mounts, achievements, and gear.... what are some other good ways to do? I'd like to hear especially from people in higher end raiding guilds.