View Poll Results: Do you think that a priest should have a DPS spec that isn't Shadow?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    42 32.81%
  • No

    86 67.19%
Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Non-shadow Priest DPS

    I just posted the suggestion on the offical forums, but I thought I would make a poll on here to get other user's input.

    I'm currently a shadow priest, but I would prefer to be a holy dps caster instead of an unholy one :P

    Priest's currently have several non-shadow dps talents, but you can't access them all in one spec, and you can't access them without taking purely healing talents.

    What are your thoughts?

  2. #2
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Tilburg,, The Netherlands
    Posts
    626

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    <3 smitespam

  3. #3
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    532

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    If ressurection would instant kill any undead, I approve.
    Dreanor EU Horde
    90 Priest, Nadiya, 574
    90 Rogue, Cayumi, 554
    90 Paladin, Rallyho, 553
    90 Druid, Månflinga, 549

  4. #4

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    ONE of the downfalls to smite dps is the aggravating hit rating problem that we do not encounter with (talented)shadow. We are the only class with two healing specs and part of the "trinity" so I doubt blizzard really wants to change that. If, dare I say it, a 4th spec were ever added to the game maybe we could acquire a "Golden Form"...Ignore the cheese, it's the only thing I could think of atm. Anyways, it would be something relative to shadow form and have an adjustment to hit rating and other necessary changes(mana efficiency for ex.) to make Holy dps viable.

    But other than getting opinions, Suggestion forums are where you should be heard and SOMETIMES responsive.

  5. #5

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    no, just no...

    Holy is healing, being the guide, the saint, the one standing in the back, paying and keep people at health.

    shadow is the evil part of a priest (as how I see it) it's the shadow inside us, we can pull out and use for the sake of evil.

    Conclussion, DPS = shadow, the evil inside
    Healing = holy and disc, those two specs should only have spells to defend them self, not to downright dps and kill someone
    It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.

  6. #6

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    I think that come cataclysm there should be a viable disc/holy dps spec that utilises some of the extra talents that doesn't go for healing. not a pvp spec though, I'd rather have a 43/33/0 or something like that. the disc healing tree and the holy healing tree should ofcourse still remain and the pvp vriants too (although, I'd rather have pvp suddenly vanish from the game entirely, but that's just me.)

  7. #7
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    260

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    It'd be kinda nifty if Holy was like Feral, with the whole one spec for two different purposes. I've always been a fan of offensive light based spells.

  8. #8

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    Oh another original idea. I'm just surprised there was no Holyform suggestions yet. Or, how about this - I don't like Shadow or Holy spells, I like Penance so much that I want Discipline form but I'd like for them to be Frost so I don't get my holy school locked out so I can be imba and special and that I can get my own inspect fanclub and brag at forums with OVER NINE THOUSAND DPZ WIF PENAFE:!

    In short - your idea is bad, not original and if you don't like "unholy" dps then just don't play it, go roll a mage and spam arcane blasts.

  9. #9

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    I rocked a Holy Nuker build in TBC with Sanct aura from a ret pally TBC. I did 1700+ dps was quite respectable in those days.
    "Those who dance appear insane to those who can't hear the music." ~~ George Carlin


  10. #10

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    Oh another original idea. I'm just surprised there was no Holyform suggestions yet. Or, how about this - I don't like Shadow or Holy spells, I like Penance so much that I want Discipline form but I'd like for them to be Frost so I don't get my holy school locked out so I can be imba and special and that I can get my own inspect fanclub and brag at forums with OVER NINE THOUSAND DPZ WIF PENAFE:!

    In short - your idea is bad, not original and if you don't like "unholy" dps then just don't play it, go roll a mage and spam arcane blasts.
    This:

    n. pl. fo·rums

    A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.


  11. #11

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    Quote Originally Posted by HavokHeart
    I rocked a Holy Nuker build in TBC with Sanct aura from a ret pally TBC. I did 1700+ dps was quite respectable in those days.
    Maybe for 30 secs, but as i remember it from TBC the mana would get drained way too fast for it to be viable in raids.

    The burst was pretty impressive tho, especially in pvp... SoL <3

  12. #12

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    I really would like to see a Holy/Disc DPS spec.

    I mean, you have everything else, so why not? There's evil shadow caster DPS in Shadowpriests and Warlocks. Elemental DPS in shamans and mages(they utilize fire, ice, and even arcane). You even have paladins, who utilize holy spells combined with melee attacks.

    But no PURE holy caster class in the game? Really?

    I enjoy the mechanics of Smite and Holy Fire. I also enjoy Discipline's DPS qualities of power word: Shield, and am just ashamed that it has been nerfed in recent times.

    Obviously, what would the difference between Holy DPS and every other kind of DPS? Shadow-type DPS specialize in DoTs. Elementals focus heavily on big crits and proccing.

    So Holy should focus on something entirely different. When I come up with what, I'll come back to this post and share my ideas

  13. #13

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrus
    no, just no...

    Holy is healing, being the guide, the saint, the one standing in the back, paying and keep people at health.

    shadow is the evil part of a priest (as how I see it) it's the shadow inside us, we can pull out and use for the sake of evil.

    Conclussion, DPS = shadow, the evil inside
    Healing = holy and disc, those two specs should only have spells to defend them self, not to downright dps and kill someone
    This post made me facepalm - holy has spells smite/holy fire that damage, how is that a defensive spell? Furthermore paladins dps using the light, why can't priests? I hate closeminded RPERS.

  14. #14

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    Quote Originally Posted by Thesphinx
    I really would like to see a Holy/Disc DPS spec.

    I mean, you have everything else, so why not? There's evil shadow caster DPS in Shadowpriests and Warlocks. Elemental DPS in shamans and mages(they utilize fire, ice, and even arcane). You even have paladins, who utilize holy spells combined with melee attacks.

    But no PURE holy caster class in the game? Really?

    I enjoy the mechanics of Smite and Holy Fire. I also enjoy Discipline's DPS qualities of power word: Shield, and am just ashamed that it has been nerfed in recent times.

    Obviously, what would the difference between Holy DPS and every other kind of DPS? Shadow-type DPS specialize in DoTs. Elementals focus heavily on big crits and proccing.

    So Holy should focus on something entirely different. When I come up with what, I'll come back to this post and share my ideas
    How about holy/disc DPS works like a ret paladin, and allows you to heal people with a very limited mana pool?

    I like the idea of a holyform, but it might not be required. It would go something like this:

    Holyform: Reduces the mana cost of Smite, Holy Fire, and Penance by 45%, the cooldown of Fade by 50%, and increases the mana cost of your healing spells by 175%. Every tick of damage inflicted by your smite, holy fire, or penance has a 30% chance to restore 2.5% of your base mana.

    Ehh? Ehh?

  15. #15

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    Quote Originally Posted by Ake
    This post made me facepalm - holy has spells smite/holy fire that damage, how is that a defensive spell? Furthermore paladins dps using the light, why can't priests? I hate closeminded RPERS.
    lol.... and you made facepalm?

    l'm in my opinion about it, if you disagree, well say it normal, why do I have to be called closeminded, for being a fan of RP, I am playing a RP game as I remember it.

    also, you can't compare a paladin and a priest, it's not the same.
    and ye we have damaging spells, and I see those as defensive, holy and disc is healers, while being only healer would never get you anywhere, they have learned a few spells for damage, and defending, hence those.
    It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.

  16. #16
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    260

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    I don't like the idea of a "Holy Form". It begins to feel like a ripoff of Shadow and would make priests too druidy (forms ahoy!).

  17. #17

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    Quote Originally Posted by Thesphinx
    Holyform: Reduces the mana cost of Smite, Holy Fire, and Penance by 45%, the cooldown of Fade by 50%, and increases the mana cost of your healing spells by 175%. Every tick of damage inflicted by your smite, holy fire, or penance has a 30% chance to restore 2.5% of your base mana.
    Apart from the not-so-new idea of holy form, 2.5% base mana is like 30 mana.

    There is a couple of problems with holy dps:
    - very few spells. With rotation of Holy Fire > Smite >Smite > Smite > Smite > it would be boring.
    - current hit/mana issues
    - talent trees. Remember that with cataclysm talent trees will have passive bonuses for each point spent. And most likely it will be +Healing. If they make it +healing/damage it will be either weaker then more focused +healing OR +damage or it will be overpowered.

    As a side note I really like the time when Surge of Light was bugged and you can chain casted instant smites :P It was tank nightmare when you get lucky string :P

  18. #18

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    No. I find it unique and fun to have 2 healing speccs.
    "There's a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it."
    - William Wallace

  19. #19

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    Quote Originally Posted by Thesphinx

    Holyform: Reduces the mana cost of Smite, Holy Fire, and Penance by 45%, the cooldown of Fade by 50%, and increases the mana cost of your healing spells by 175%. Every tick of damage inflicted by your smite, holy fire, or penance has a 30% chance to restore 2.5% of your base mana.
    i didnt like holyform from begin but that 175% mana cost is alot and dont forget that penance is a healing/dps spell

  20. #20

    Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

    It took them an whole expansion to balance the dps of a specc (shadow) that was already dpsing since Vanilla and you want to do that with holy? ok cya in WoW: Wrath of Smite Specc VIII (release date 20/12/2035).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •