Poll: Do you think that a priest should have a DPS spec that isn't Shadow?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Non-shadow Priest DPS

Quote Originally Posted by Myzrael
    No. I find it unique and fun to have 2 healing speccs.
    why could there not be a viable dps spec in one of those trees then?
    the way I read the question it had no intention of getting rid of the two healing styles, just add a way to dps without many shadowspells.

hell yes smite dps should be a viable raiding spec.

As Myzrael stated, it's unique for a class to have two fairly different healing specs. If I wanted to dps, I'd choose other class, it's that simple. Why put an excellent healing tree into a moderate dps spec at all?

Spell Hit Rating is no longer a problem at this point in the game. Get Maghia's Misguided Quill and you can easily switch between 289 Shadow Cap to 446 Holy DPS Cap. That is to assume you don't have moonkin/misery buff.

Mana is not a problem in 5 man heroics. However, for raids, it still comes in a bit short without the use of potions. However, I find gemming SP/Spirit and SP/Int very helpful, far more than gemming for crit, which you should only do if you are farming (so don't gem crit)

Holy DPS 41/27/3 is an extremely powerful spec for farming. Damage done by reflective shield proc Surge of Light. And at level 80, you can simply put PW:Shield on yourself, and stand there waiting for insane SoL proc from shield damage, killing the mob without using any mana but the shield. (Try this if you are bored).

Spirit Tap increases your Spellpower temporarily. Glyph of Holy Nova/Power Infusion makes your Nova aoe spell deadly. Coupled with any minor spellpower/haste procing trinket like the sundial, your screen will be filled with huge yellow numbers. My main only have 2000sp, granted I don't play much. But when farming, I can two shot anything. It is just that fast. As for oOm, forget it, you never need to drink (for farming of course).

Examine the 41/27/3 spec closely, and you will find very few talents wasted on fillers. 1/3 in Rapture cuts down the cost of your PW: Shield by half, Soul Warding will further reduce its mana cost. Improved PW:Shield increases damage mitigation etc.

Holy Specialization and Focus Will increases your holy crit by 8%. Focus Will works very nicely with Holy Nova aoe grinding, reducing damage taken from multiple mobs and increases healing done by Holy Nova by up to 15%.

My only complain is that Smite crit damage is too low, it caps our dps at a very low level. 6k crit is the maximum we can do at this point, it's almost trivial compare with anything moonkin or mages can cast. Of course, I'm not asking for that kind of viability, but Smite has a pretty reasonable cast time, so it's crit should be a little higher.

Smite doesn't have any utility in raids. The half healer utility we had in TBC is replaced with dual-spec, so at this point, it's merely a fun spec. Great for farming/leveling, and interesting to play around in raids for over geared priests. I don't expect much change favouring the spec in Cata, but I do fear they might butcher the spec further by removing essential talents that supports smite dps like they did for Wotlk.

GM/Raid Leader of <Air>, Sargeras-US, Alliance
    13/13M Mythic Morning/Day-Time Raiding Guild

Now recruiting for Legion! Apply at air-guild.com

10+ Year Old Account

IIRC back in day, and I mean WAY WAY BACK, like Vanilla WoW Alpha days, Disc was going to be a Holy Melee Dps spec, sorta caster/dps hybrid using 1h maces an offhands items to Dps, and then lots of spells. if you look back there was even a few peices of Cloth gear still with Melee stats on (I can't remember many but there was a cloth helm from a quest in Tanaris which I'm 100% sure had Agi on it till remarkably late.)

but the Melee disc never made it live as they found it to hard to get right, so instead they made it a healer spec, and made priest the 'main' healer class.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Indeed, they fancied it as the "Monk" Spec.

GM/Raid Leader of <Air>, Sargeras-US, Alliance
    13/13M Mythic Morning/Day-Time Raiding Guild

Now recruiting for Legion! Apply at air-guild.com

10+ Year Old Account

i would enjoy a more diverse class/race pool in wow its kinda limited, a holy dps priest sounds awsome
    world of warcraft forum

8. Re: Extended Maintenance 4.0.1 Release - 10/1 10/11/2010 02:27:55 PM PDT
    Pfft. I'll believe it when MMO-C says it's true.

No.

Imagine blizzard trying to balance - disc pve, disc pvp, holy pve healing, holy pve dps, shadow pve and shadow pvp...

It would be a bit like trying to balance Unholy Tanking, Unholy DPS, Unholy PVP, Blood Tanking, Blood DPS, Blood PVP, Frost DPS, Frost Tanking and Frost PVP.

And they are not trying that on any class, right?
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

.... This is madness!

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Pheromone
    ONE of the downfalls to smite dps is the aggravating hit rating problem that we do not encounter with (talented)shadow. We are the only class with two healing specs and part of the "trinity" so I doubt blizzard really wants to change that. If, dare I say it, a 4th spec were ever added to the game
    Just to stop you there.

Mages:

Arcane, Fire, Frostfire, Frost. All viable DPS specs which are considered in the DPS charts. Any comments about the DPS output will lead my to pointing at 3.2 Shadow Priests :P

10+ Year Old Account

actually "monk" disc tree is awfull idea..just care more about magical defences rather than ret pally (closest ex.) on their armor and etc.
    also disc could be tanking spec but this is hardly imaginable

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Wogga
    actually "monk" disc tree is awfull idea..just care more about magical defences rather than ret pally (closest ex.) on their armor and etc.
    also disc could be tanking spec but this is hardly imaginable
    Well that's why inner fire gave armor + attackpower all the way through vanilla wow.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima
    Just to stop you there.

Mages:

Arcane, Fire, Frostfire, Frost. All viable DPS specs which are considered in the DPS charts. Any comments about the DPS output will lead my to pointing at 3.2 Shadow Priests :P
    I don't understand what this has to do with mages? I simply said we were the only class with TWO healing specs.

Holy Fire, Smite, Smite, Smite, Holy Fire.

Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by Creid
    Holy Fire, Smite, Smite, Smite, Holy Fire.

Yes please.
    Arcane Blast, Arcane Blast, Arcane Blast, Arcane Blist, Arcane Missile Barrage.
    Why's it suddenly so much cooler if it's purple?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Arcane Blast, Arcane Blast, Arcane Blast, Arcane Blist, Arcane Missile Barrage.
    Why's it suddenly so much cooler if it's purple?
    Because epics are purple and we reeeeaaaaally love purplez.