Internet Speed Issues

Hey guys...

Been having problems with my internet speed ever since I installed Windows 7 x64. Here's the specs for my computer:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 5.53GHz
    RAM: 2.00 GB
    Wireless Card: D Link WDA-2320 Desktop Adapter with latest drivers.

Here is a speed and pingtest that I've done to show my issues:

I use Cox Communications Preferred High Speed Internet which promotes:
    Download: 13MBps
    Upload: 2MBps

Obviously the numbers are less than ideal and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light.

Other information:
    I have two roommates none of which are reporting any problems with their internet speeds. One uses Windows 7 Ultimate, the other Mac OS Snow Leopard with Windows 7 partitions. Our router was a very recently purchased (like yesterday) Netgear to replace a broken Apple router.

I'll be happy to provide any additional information someone needs to diagnose this issue.
    I'm used to enjoying ~80ms - 120ms ping so please help!

EDIT:

Here are the speeds I get from connecting to the router via Ethernet cable:

Better download speeds and less packet loss but no change to upload speed or ping. These tests were done early in the morning without anyone else doing anything in our network. I also made sure to use the same servers to perform the tests.

Re: Internet Speed Issues

Potential sources of bad line quality:
    1. Computer
    2. Cable/wireless
    3. Router
    4. Modem (if not combined with router)
    5. ISP line
    6. ISP themselves

1. Although I can't stand windows (Snow leopard ftw), this is unlikely to be your problem. Unless both your housemates use the same line as you, and get better results. if that's the case, it's probably your computer/software/firewalls
    2. You instantly saw the difference using a cable, but it didn't fix the problem
    3. unlikely to be the problem, as it's new. however just make sure it's got the latest firmware updates and the settings aren't all screwed up. maybe enabling QOS (quality of service) for WoW and opening various ports WoW uses will help. This won't change the speedtest results though. Try plugging your modem directly into your computer to bypass this. If this fixes it, it's your router.
    4. If you can't get it working, ask the ISP to check/change the modem. Try resetting it a load of times etc. Check it's not overheating (this really makes cable modems suck)
    5. Is the ISP line broken? being repaired? etc
    6. Could be the ISP - a lot of "high speed" lines actually suck donkey balls and should be avoided for gaming (like Virgin Media's 50mb line). Check their service status updates, maybe there's a problem in your area/national problem with their network.

All in all though, those results suck, that ping is enormous. The actual speeds won't make a difference to wow (I used to play on a 1mb line with about 50ms ping and was perfect for WoW), but the ping will ruin your game.

Just check against housemates using same connection/router etc. if they get better (normal) results, its your computer or something on it. Try safe mode /w networking, remove firewalls, antivirus software etc. (just to test).

edit: not that it will help a lot, but here are the results from a test I just did - it's a UK line, not a US one like yours.

http://files.me.com/sureshk/j0r7w6

Bump

Anyone else have any other suggestions to fix this? I just got confirmation from my roommate also with Windows 7:

Download: 31.93MB/s
    Upload: 2.31MB/s
    Ping: 29ms
    Jitter: 6ms

It doesn't look like it is the router or modem.

then its your computer hardware or software. or the wire from your router to your comp, but that's unlikely as you get the problem with wireless too.

try updating all drivers, particularly networking ones. test by turning off all firewalls, anti-virus software, etc. (just don't test by going to a keylogger website.

Failing all that, format your comp and reinstall windows. Also check you don't have active downloads/bit torrent software running in the background, and check windows isn't updating (dunno if windows 7 does this, but XP was a bitch for background downloading).

Problem is on your computer somewhere, so you pretty much narrowed it down now.

edit: you say you have windows 7 x64, but your roommate has a different windows 7? definitely could be software/driver related then. I don't know enough about windows 7 to help further on that end, sorry.

You likely have a problem with your line. Post at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/coxhsi and see if you can get some help, if not, call your ISP.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud
    You likely have a problem with your line. Post at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/coxhsi and see if you can get some help, if not, call your ISP.
    his roomie's speedtests are fine, and he suggests, although doesn't state, he is using the same connection/network.==> it's his computer that's the problem. :P

ur connection is alot better then mine

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    his roomie's speedtests are fine, and he suggests, although doesn't state, he is using the same connection/network.==> it's his computer that's the problem. :P
    I have two roommates none of which are reporting any problems with their internet speeds

It could also be interference.

Household plants (yes, plants), Large appliances, and cordless phones that share the same frequency could be creating interference between your PC and your wireless access point. This could explain why your roommates have no issues and your connection is slow.

If that isn't the case, try boosting the range of your wireless router.

This is a fantastic script. Everyone I've spoken to has noticed lower ping times after using it:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atencyFix.html

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by getefix
    This is a fantastic script. Everyone I've spoken to has noticed lower ping times after using it:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atencyFix.html
    I use it myself and it lowered my ping by about 50%. I'm not sure it would help with his upstream output or raw internet ping though.

OP: Have you checked for updated NIC drivers? Have you applied all current Windows Updates?