Elemental Festergut 25man DPS

So i was doing festergut today, on the outer-ring getting constant Vile gas and running around to get spores to others and to get the debuff for myself, after the fight i check my DPS around 5.5k i see how badly the movement on that fight has impacted my DPS and was wondering how well any of the other Ele shamans are handling this fight.
    Don't be such a a vagine man

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: Elemental Festergut 25man DPS

Sorry for double post don't want to seem like a troll, i meant 6k.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashcast
    So i was doing festergut today, on the outer-ring getting constant Vile gas and running around to get spores to others and to get the debuff for myself, after the fight i check my DPS around 5.5k i see how badly the movement on that fight has impacted my DPS and was wondering how well any of the other Ele shamans are handling this fight.
    Did ~8.4k DPS(e) (going by WoL) last week, and ~8.6k DPS(e) the week before. There really isn't much movement on the fight, 5-15 yards every now and then at the least, or 30 if you're unlucky.
    Mmm ele:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dark+Iron&cn=Omgimapencil

An apple a day will keep anyone away as long as you throw it hard enough.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah our ele sham is usually around 6-7k when hes on the outside, but we are by no means a top end guild. Heres a link to WMO for my guilds festergut downing lastweek. http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/11542944#damageout

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/8...?s=2628&e=2911
    10.2k on festergut last week, ill probably improve this week. It's all about learning totem placement, what to do while moving etc..

Takes a while to learn, but once your LvB/CL is gcd capped you can safely fit some in while moving to the spore location, there's more than enough time :P (Think of Heigan the unclean, stopping between slime walls) etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Solecoor
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/8...?s=2628&e=2911
    10.2k on festergut last week, ill probably improve this week. It's all about learning totem placement, what to do while moving etc..

Takes a while to learn, but once your LvB/CL is gcd capped you can safely fit some in while moving to the spore location, there's more than enough time :P (Think of Heigan the unclean, stopping between slime walls) etc..
    Try to keep in mind not all guilds use an ele shaman and have the disc priests give PI to elemental shamans...

Quote Originally Posted by DMSnowié
    Try to keep in mind not all guilds use an ele shaman and have the disc priests give PI to elemental shamans...
    Lol power infusion doesnt make much difference to my dps anyway, and not like I asked for it :P

guy prolly stood in melee and is just epeening, that can get you banned you know.

Stand in melee, drop magma totem if there's another ele or a demo lock. Both of these will garner a significant DPS boost.

...pi doesnt do much to your dps eh ? not to mention the extreme rng that gave you 60+ % lightning bolt crit, aswell as a 70+% crit chance with chain. come back next week when you said you'd improve. id love to see you follow through on that

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by thehoodie
    Stand in melee, drop magma totem if there's another ele or a demo lock. Both of these will garner a significant DPS boost.
    Don't think so.
    Compare Magma and Searing.
    With enough haste, your CL should be very close to GCD.
    So let's say your CL is at 1sec (needs a LOT of haste, but meh) so it'll take the same time as putting down 1 totem.
    Now Searing is up for 1min, while magma is up for 20sec.
    This means that you'll have to cast 3 magmas for 1 Searing, meaning that you'll need 2 more Totem-GCDs (always 1sec) every minute.
    Now if we say those 2 Totem-GCDs would nearly equal 2 CLs, which (on a good geared Shaman), do about 8k damage each. (average, including LO)
    So let me ask you: Do 3 Magmas do 16k more damage than a Searing?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-shaman/(ele)-festergut-dps/ this thread already exists
    Time waits for no one.
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

You are supposed to be in melee for Festergut, dropping Fire Elemental and then Magma Totem.

And no, Searing Totem never does better DPS than Magma.

Oh sorry for making a second post was rather tired when i made this, thanks for feedback but to my dissapointment im not allowed in the melee =[ i know you dont run much but in recent trys ive gotten vile gas most of the time which really gets on my nerves as afew of the ranged just dont get touched and there dps is fine but moving alot even if its a few yards can lower my dps just from flame shock ticking without me casting. Guess i will try and stand in the melee depending on the raid setup but doubt ill be allowed, oh well.
    My standstill dps is fine but its just this boss, maybe rotface but i dont see such impact of dps loss on that fight.
    Don't be such a a vagine man

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Bergg
    And no, Searing Totem never does better DPS than Magma.
    Why do you just say something WRONG without providing maths or anything, when I've already explained how it works?

SEARING > MAGMA for Elementals.
    Searing does NOT do better DPS then Magma, but it grants you 2 free GCDs every Minute, compared to Magma.

That's not new, I wrote that before. So to give you some numbers:
    First off: 3388 SP, so no DP or ToW.
    No Ebon Plaguebringer/whatever either. Just damage on a target dummy, level 80, in OG.
    So if you're in a raid, the results will be slightly different, with an advantage for Searing. (Searing has a higher coefficient, meaning that it'll get more from those ~400 SP of a demolock)

Average Searing-tick: 750-780
    Magma-tick: 816
    Seeing as there'll be 30 hits of each within one minute, we're getting to:
    24480 damage for Magma and 22500 to 23400 for Searing.
    Factor in a rather high crit-rate of... let's say 50% and 206% critical damage and we're at:
    37454.4 damage for Magma and 34425 to 35802 damage for Searing.

Now... how the hell should those 3k damage of Magma be worth 2 GCDs?
    And don't forget: You'll have to refresh Magma EXACTLY when the old one wears out, if you do that even 1sec too late, than you'll lose ~1250 damage in this whole minute.

Proven incorrect; see the next few posts.

Oh boy.

Magma ticks more often and deals more damage. At about 4000 spellpower, because Searing Totem gains more damage from your spellpower than Magma does, Searing Totem will theoretically produce more damage--but it doesn't, because it ticks slower. It's not supposed to tick slower, but it does. Its cast time can be affected by your latency, the latency of the instance, the current positioning of the boss, and the future positioning of the boss. Magma, however, always pulses right on time.

This is one of our totem bugs that Blizzard has yet to address.

The global cooldown usage doesn't matter. There is no better damage per second ability that you can use, except an out-of-mana Fire Elemental.

Now, sure, you can claim all you want that Magma is difficult to use on bosses that move, or is difficult to refresh. But that isn't going to change the fact that it produces more damage than Searing. I theorize that Searing will become better than Magma at a currently unobtainable level of spellpower, unless it is fixed. --And Blizzard hasn't even admitted that there is a problem, so it won't be.

And another comment: I know that Searing Totem looks like it's supposed to be our single target DPS totem, and that Magma looks like it's supposed to be our AOE totem, and that Chain Lightning looks like it's supposed to be our cleave, but.. none of the above is true.

Ghostcrawler defended the fact that Chain Lightning, until certain levels of haste, will grant more DPS than Lightning Bolt.

They don't know what they're doing; you can't really trust their "design". (If you call throwing bacon at a wall and seeing what sticks design.) What works is what works. Use Searing Totem only on bosses that will move, using Magma Totem for single target and AOE, use Chain Lightning for single target until 1000/1200 haste and AOE, and use Fire Elemental on any single target boss fight--never on AOE.

By the way, if you're dropping fire damage totems on Festergut and you aren't standing in melee (unless you've reached the melee cap), you are sabotaging your own DPS on a DPS race.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergg
    Oh boy.

Magma ticks more often and deals more damage. At about 4000 spellpower, because Searing Totem gains more damage from your spellpower than Magma does, Searing Totem will theoretically produce more damage--but it doesn't, because it ticks slower. It's not supposed to tick slower, but it does. Its cast time can be affected by your latency, the latency of the instance, the current positioning of the boss, and the future positioning of the boss. Magma, however, always pulses right on time.

This is one of our totem bugs that Blizzard has yet to address.

The global cooldown usage doesn't matter. There is no better damage per second ability that you can use, except an out-of-mana Fire Elemental.

Now, sure, you can claim all you want that Magma is difficult to use on bosses that move, or is difficult to refresh. But that isn't going to change the fact that it produces more damage than Searing. I theorize that Searing will become better than Magma at a currently unobtainable level of spellpower, unless it is fixed. --And Blizzard hasn't even admitted that there is a problem, so it won't be.
    You're not reading what DaDimi is saying.
    Magma is better DPS but the opportunity cost for 3 Magma is 2 CL. So you have to compare 3x Magma to 1x Searing + 2x CL.

I'm just pulling these numbers from a target dummy but raid buffs just scales it up:

Magma ticks for 832 every 2 seconds.
    Searing ticks for 800 every 3 seconds.
    CL initial hit averages 6k.

So 3x Magma = 24960
    Searing + 2 CL = 28000

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Turalyon&n=Neokarasu

Okay, guys, this is totally my bad; just an example of not keeping up with the times. When I did the math for this forever and a year ago, my global cooldown wasn't virtually haste capped. Therefore, my totems' global cooldowns were way faster than, for example, the global cooldown initiated by Chain Lightning. This caused Magma to yield more overall DPS in a raid situation.

But all of our global cooldowns are virtually haste capped now. That's a pretty massive oversight. Therefore, yes; Searing Totem is better for single target DPS than Magma in almost every imaginable scenario if your global cooldown is virtually haste capped (and almost everyone is these days). The only exception I can fathom is using Magma Totem for burst DPS, which is just silly; we have way better burst DPS abilities in our arsenal.

And sorry, DaDimi, for not reading your post more carefully.

If anyone is wondering--and this is a messy estimate--using Searing Totem over Magma Totem versus a single target will yield about 65 more DPS than Magma Totem over Searing Totem [in late T9, early T10 gear]. (But, like the above posters have stated, this DPS increase/loss is not inherent; the intelligent usage of your global cooldown is what will affect the DPS.) I'm not sure what the exact amount of haste is that will make Searing better than Magma, but I'm sure that anyone in T9 will be reaching that threshold. Maybe one of you math-heads can figure it out?