Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Reinvention: North Lordaeron

To show your " skills " to blizzard themselves if that is a goal you wish to persue you are deffinately on the right track.
    Alot of lore based areas are made by blizzard as concept and discarded as there is no time to put the polish on the area now that the patch and expansion cycles are shorter which is technically what you have done here,and done it very well indeed.

I hope your posts ignite more people to create concept art or art for the NPC's and mobs in your area as well and even going more into depth for quest chains or quest ideas for those hubs.

remember to not forget to add some ideas for abusing blizzards awsome phasing technology it can add a whole new dimension.

This is truly impressive work, and as someone who did hypothetical zone designs for WoW a few years back, I am very glad to see that there are still people who carry a flame to make this game world as rich and interesting as possible. I myself quit WoW nearly a year ago now, though I intend to come back for Cataclysm, at least for a time: if the zone designs end up being like this, I would definitely enjoy my experience.

I have to say that I love the nods you've given here to the established world. I particularly enjoyed the incorporation of Banewood into this, especially since I just played a skirmish in WC3 on that map not two days ago. I was also quite impressed with the amount of effort you have put in to articulate your idea as clearly as possible so that we readers have a feel for your concept.

I'm going to give your Stratholme concept a once-over now, and look forward to seeing some of your other designs.

The thing is, Blizzard has shitloads of ideas. However, you're coming up with good and well planned ideas.

Cheers for your work and i wish you all the best in applying to the game-business
    Never look into the eyes of a horse.
    Your soul will forever be lost in the void of a horse.

This is very well put together and has a lot of interesting ideas. Considering how big the population on each server grows, it would only make sense to add more zones for the impending leveling up race.

By the way, anyone have a link to the Stratholme expansion ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodi
    To show your " skills " to blizzard themselves if that is a goal you wish to persue you are deffinately on the right track.
    I wouldn't say that I'm doing it intentionally to get attention (though it's always nice to feel appreciated), it's more like having a new place to direct creative energy. Doing little projects like this gives me an outlet, and unlike the other things I tend to work on, these are very easy to do... so they're the creativity version of Chicken Nuggets. Small, cheap, easy and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodi
    remember to not forget to add some ideas for abusing blizzards awsome phasing technology it can add a whole new dimension.
    Yep, there's some phasing involved in North Lordaeron, specifically at Dawnstrider Harbor (you drive the Apothecaries out), Hearthglen Dock (you burn their ship and set up a flight deck), and Cadem Cove (You disable the lighthouse, causing an enemy ship to run aground there).

Quote Originally Posted by Wragnorok
    This is truly impressive work, and as someone who did hypothetical zone designs for WoW a few years back, I am very glad to see that there are still people who carry a flame to make this game world as rich and interesting as possible.
    Thanks, I'd be interested to see what kind of designs you did, if you still have them available. I'm always curious to see what other people have created within the same medium / environment.

I have to say that I love the nods you've given here to the established world. I particularly enjoyed the incorporation of Banewood into this, especially since I just played a skirmish in WC3 on that map not two days ago.
    Holy crap, somebody finally got the reference!

I originally started with the Highlands and Pinewood Canyon (both are locations that reflect or are built upon places I've been to), but wasn't sure what would fit that eastern half. I knew I had to account for the Thondroril River's source and the proximity of Ghostlands, and the idea of a Ghostlands-style marshland steadily emerged (though the river's source is up in the mountains, it still flows into Banewood).

On top of that, I've always had an appreciation for swamp boardwalks (like the one seen here) and aqueducts, so both of those features made it into Banewood as well.

Once I had the marsh set up, I was working on naming it when I remembered the Warcraft III Map, and I knew it just FIT. I was a little worried someone would say (in a high-pitched nerdy voice) "Hey, Banewood uses the Felwood texture set, why is it in the Plaguelands, nyerp?!" though :.

As it turns out, by adding Stratholme into the same space, the nasty plague-ridden sewage (to say nothing of the regular sewage from when it was still a city) flowing into the swamps also makes Banewood especially nasty to travel in. That's just a happy coincidence though.

I'm going to give your Stratholme concept a once-over now, and look forward to seeing some of your other designs.
    Thanks, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Siton
    The thing is, Blizzard has shitloads of ideas. However, you're coming up with good and well planned ideas.
    Everyone has ideas. Anyone can sit and come up with something cool. The difference between that and actually designing something worthwhile is knowing how to make the idea work in a way that suits the game's established pace, lore, world, and player habits. Actual implementation, from basic concept to advanced implementation... that's what I'd like to get at. Photo-shopping maps is a far cry from actually building the terrain it's intended to represent. Still, it gives me something fun to do, and it occasionally teaches me something I didn't know.

Thanks for the compliment (omitted to save space).

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoeBob
    By the way, anyone have a link to the Stratholme expansion ideas?
    If you're referring to my thread, you can find it here.

Thanks again to everyone reading!
    - Renowned expert in the field of Paladinery -
    - & Author of -
    The Highly Acclaimed "Reinvention" Threads
    North Lordaeron - Stratholme
    - Angor Coast-

Now, that is an outstanding post, OP, but one thing is just really really bugging me.

Why in the world would the remaining alchemists loyal to Varimathras and Putress ally themselves with Arthas worshipers, essentially the scourge? They hate the scourge. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the undead Forsaken hate the Scourge even more than they hate the living.

But beyond that, still extremely cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Now, that is an outstanding post, OP, but one thing is just really really bugging me.

Why in the world would the remaining alchemists loyal to Varimathras and Putress ally themselves with Arthas worshipers, essentially the scourge? They hate the scourge. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the undead Forsaken hate the Scourge even more than they hate the living.
    Hey Herecius, thanks for reading. We've actually been discussing the exact point you mentioned earlier today. You can find my response here, and I've quoted the abridged version of the major points below,

Quote Originally Posted by Retrogames
    It's an alliance made out of pure desperation. . . Both factions are on the losing side of events in Northrend. . . Even though their leadership (Arthas for the Cultists, Varimathias for the Apothecaries) is directly opposed, the fact that both leaders have fallen from power means everyone is willing to do what they can to survive...

"Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows."
    - Shakespeare's The Tempest
    - & Author of -
    - Angor Coast-

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Hey Retrogrades , by the way been part of the Scourge dont mean you are obligated to be a undead minion...evenf if someday you will propably become one :P

The majority of the cult of the damned are living been..and look the Vrykul, most of them are still alive and they ((served)) the LK.

Just my 2 cents about your answer about my post. (o;

Other things...its me or the scarlet Crusader had become the Scarlet Onslaugth ?

http://www.wowwiki.com/Scarlet_Onslaught

if yes, you need to do a little correction in your lore!

...or maybe they are the last members of the true Scarlet crusader who dIdmt leave the plaguelands and wont have trust the new leaders of the new Scarlet organisation.

If you fishing for hours at the same place and you become confident that everything is fine and safe, its will mean one thing; You are wrong. Because i was actually sitting near of you for hours, cloaked in the shadow with a smile on my face and my daggers ready to strike. I did it many time before. I will do it again.....and again......

10+ Year Old Account

seriously why havent they hired you yet /petition

but anyways your concepts make me wish someone like you were at blizzard becuase god knows what there planning for that zone right now im sick and tired of there being so many mountains where there shouldnt be its such an over used concept in mmos.

You have my support on this 100%

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

Quote Originally Posted by Zanardam
    by the way been part of the Scourge dont mean you are obligated to be a undead minion...evenf if someday you will propably become one :P

The majority of the cult of the damned are living been..and look the Vrykul, most of them are still alive and they ((served)) the LK.

Just my 2 cents about your answer about my post. (o;
    I've always considered the undead part to be the "Scourge", but I suppose it's the standing name for the entirity of the Lich King's army, and that includes plenty of living beings too. So that's a good point. The next revision, I'll tinker with the wording so we're in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanardam
    Other things...its me or the scarlet Crusader had become the Scarlet Onslaugth ?

...or maybe they are the last members of the true Scarlet crusader who dIdmt leave the plaguelands and wont have trust the new leaders of the new Scarlet organisation.
    It's not entirely clear who is called what according to that article, nor can I find any lore that says one way or the other. My personal interpretation; the Onslaught are the most fanatical of the fanatics who sailed into Northrend, put their values aside, and allied with shadow priests and death knights. The Scarlets that remain entrenched in places like Scarlet Monastery and Hearthglen are still part of the Scarlet Crusade.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfang
    but anyways your concepts make me wish someone like you were at blizzard becuase god knows what there planning for that zone right now im sick and tired of there being so many mountains where there shouldnt be its such an over used concept in mmos.
    To be fair, 5 years is a long time in the future to plan for something that may not even last that long in the first place. Who could have said 5 years ago "There will be flying mounts and people will be able to see everything". I know I wouldn't have predicted it, but at least Blizzard is taking the time to look at the old world, rather than continuing to push new content while ignoring the old. That's something.
    - & Author of -
    - Angor Coast-

If you could add the survival horrorish feeling that Fallout 3's Point Lookout gave, combined with the awesomeness of your brain and creativity, you could make the first mmo horror/thriller experience in an mmo D: .

Like forcing the player to play in a first person perspective, have them scout using a binoculars from the tip of the lighthouse. Or a quest like the ones where you control ghosts in the Shadow Vault at Icecrown. Was by far one of the most fun quests i've done at the time.
    In the Groves of Death

The more I read this thread the more frustrated I feel, since the place will most likely remain as it is for at least a very long time...

I can see myself adventuring there, but it's like a good dream you wake up from. I dearly hope that if/when Blizz sees what you've come up with they will at the very least realize North Lordaeron is a place that has potential for future content.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

This is really beautiful and magical stuff you have here Retrogames, I applaud you for it and your creativity.

I often think of stuff similar to this, "How it would be if I were in creative control of where WoW goes". Unfortunately most don't get past the written stage, and obviously don't look anywhere near as pretty as you have made yours. :P

Again, I absolutely love it.

Pure win.

Blizzard, give this man the task of updating the zones for Cataclysm!

Would love to see more
    Then Rhonin went down to Blackrock Depths, killed Emperor Dagram Thaurissan, and fathered the heir to the throne of Ironforge with the extremely grateful Moira Bronzebeard. But he wasn't done yet; the Dark Iron Dwarves were doing the bidding of Ragnaros the Firelord, so Rhonin went down to Molten Core and beat the crap out of everybody.

"TOO SOON," bellowed Ragnaros.

But Rhonin was all: "It's never too soon to party, Rhonin-style."

And then he beat Ragnaros to death with his own hammer, because Rhonin is the only Mage who ever had the mad skillz to train two-handed maces.

On the way out of Blackrock Mountain, Rhonin went to the spire and pwned Nefarian. He saved Vaelestrasz the Red, and the two did a celebratory chest bumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a city on the back of a roaming colossus

It's a great idea, but i have a couple of questions.

Thanks to a neat trick, i can explore pretty much anywhere in the game (not hacking or private server), and I just went to this area and discovered it already has a name: Quel'thalas. How does this fit in to your idea, or what is your take on it?

Also, I think it's just stratholme, but The Atmosphere around the area where stratholme should be is amazing, and I was wondering if that would fit in to your plans at all, because i just love how the atmosphere of a place makes it feel. See the pic for what i mean.
    "Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes, because then you're a mile away, and you have his shoes." - Douglas Adams

Could you give a report over scholomance/scholo island?

I was thinking of some ideas for some of the mobs in the "Banewood Marshes" zone.

You mentioned somewhere that theres some sort of sewage that runs from the dead city of Strath (assuming that strath isnt changed like you mentioned in your earlier thread)

Bloated corpse Level 37-38
    One of the poor souls who died during the fall of Stratholme and was risen again by the scourge. A zombie who followed the sewer line out of the city and nito the Banewood Marshes. This corpse has been dead a long time, it has also been in contact with a lot of water, causing it to swell in size to become a grotesque sight. A strong melee fighter that does less damage as its health gets lower and its body begins to fall apart. Upon death it explodes into a disgusting putrid cloud of decay.

Infested Marshwalker Level 39-40
    A marshwalker, cousin of the marshwalkers found in Un'goro, that has been infected as a result of the sewage run-off into the Banewood Marshes. It has a deadly aura of decay and has the ability to infect its victims with a debilitating poisen. It does however posses some Anti-bodies to the plague as it hasnt become a complete subject to the plague. (Just an idea for a quest in which you have to gather their blood, or something)

Gluttinous hound Level 36-38
    One of the many hounds that died in the fall of Strath and was risen again as a servant of the Lich King. This hound has lost its way in the complex sewer system of Stratholme. It has stuffed itself with garbage and other decepide items and now wanders the Marshes looking for more food. It posses a powerful lifesteal ability and an armor crunching bite attack.

Dyeing ancient Level 40
    One of the few remaining acients outside of the Night elven lands. These once proud ancients lived peacfully with the other creatures in the Marshes until the foul pollution of Stratholme swept over the land. Their roots have absorbed the horrid water spotting from the sewer and, as a result, the acients have become rotting abominations of what they once where. These trees posses a rare flower blossom aspiring druids need for their (insert druid quest, as I do not play one).
    "Your country is like an old maid servant; accustomed to being raped by everyone." - Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_jesus
    I was thinking of some ideas for some of the mobs in the "Banewood Marshes" zone.

You mentioned somewhere that theres some sort of sewage that runs from the dead city of Strath (assuming that strath isnt changed like you mentioned in your earlier thread)

Bloated corpse Level 37-38
    One of the poor souls who died during the fall of Stratholme and was risen again by the scourge. A zombie who followed the sewer line out of the city and nito the Banewood Marshes. This corpse has been dead a long time, it has also been in contact with a lot of water, causing it to swell in size to become a grotesque sight. A strong melee fighter that does less damage as its health gets lower and its body begins to fall apart. Upon death it explodes into a disgusting putrid cloud of decay.
    That is disgusting, yet awesome, at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ikkatsu
    That is disgusting, yet awesome, at the same time!
    I was eating a sandwhich as I read that. Ugh. It's cool though.

Also after reading all the sewer love, I thought of maybe making the sewers an actual Instance. Bit like a maze. Lots of gross bits, putried dogs, giant 15 foot rats, out of control garbage disposal units, maybe add some typical sewer myhts like some odd sewage aligator. Meh, think I played Tales of Symphonia abit too much .
    In the Groves of Death