Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Maximising Corruption

Just wanted to get a different community opinion on these two subjects.

Currently in discussion at EJ: http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t37900-d...ck_thread/p57/

Both involve ways of setting up the best Corruption possible. Tests have been done to see if recasting Corruption sub 35% will give you the bonus of Death's Embrace, which seemed to prove positive. If you use NMiC, this means repopping the trinket and recasting Corr just under 35%, (+ TotT if you can get a rogue) to get the bonus.

While this isn't complicated in itself, combined with the T10 proc, and the juggling begins. The bonus from the proc can be rolled with Corruption as well, so people are trying to figure out the best possible way to take advantage of it. Best case scenario being you use the same opener (pre combat everything) and get TotT/4pc T10 proc/NMiC in the first few seconds -> Corruption. What happens when you don't proc T10 right away though? Should you hold off NMiC to combine it with the T10 proc? Should you then open with UA to get more chances at a T10 proc earlier on? The opening rotation is currently under review to get the most out of a better rolling Corruption, with the RNG of a proc from your tier gear, and possibly dealing with a SP proc too (DFO/Lightweave leads to casting a Seed to dispel your current Corruption due to the "More powerful" effect).

At what point does it get complicated enough that screwing with our well known and well timed opener will result in a DPS loss attempting to stack buffs based on RNG? While I totally agree that should it all go down like it's supposed to, it's higher DPS, but 1 slip in lining up on uses and procs could make the whole effort null, not to mention the actual fight mechanics going on around you.

This all happens again sub 35%, where you want a T10 proc/TotT/NMiC to line up.

I've heard the argument that T10 will proc more often than we expect, so maybe we can count on it happening during our ramp up time. What are your opinions on the matter?

Maximising Corruption

Hey,

This thread has been created from the 'Trying to learn' thread which tailed off into this. It's pretty interesting, so I thought it deserved its own topic. Sorry if a lot of it doesn't quite flow as a result. I may try and merge in a coupleof other topics if they seem appropriate.

Cheers,

Ratskinmahoney

15+ Year Old Account

Maximising Corruption

If you're having dps issues without a fancy trinket like NMIC then I suggest you work on your rotation and movement first and foremost. I finally got the hang of NMIC last night (9200 on Festergut!!!) but I have to say it is not something I would force any newer or inexperienced player.

For example, in order to maximize my Corruption on that Festergut attempt, I had to:
    Wild Magic pre-pot (before combat started)
    Shadow Bolt for 5% Crit
    Haunt to add second stack of Shadow Embrace
    Wait for Totem of Wrath to drop
    Wait for Haunt to hit the target
    Blow NMIC trinket and cast Corruption

Maintain corruption through Heroism + Eradication through any means available, including wasting a GCD on Drain Soul just to refresh it while moving.

At 34.9%,
    blow my second Wild Magic pot
    Remove corruption with a seed of corruption

And that's JUST for Corruption. I still had to maintain UA as best I could, with Curse of Agony and Haunt, and then a Drain Soul execute rotation.

R.I.P. YARG

Deleted

Maximising Corruption

A simple

#showtooltip corruption
    /use [mod:shift] nevermelting ice crystal
    /cast [mod:shift] corruption; corruption
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

Makes things a lot easier, even if it doesn't maximise. As Gherkin says, though, basics are the priority, and you need some idea of the fight mechanics first (i.e. don't hit shift if you know you'll be recasting corruption before too long).

Edit: I'm sure it was just a slip, but just in case you were about to embark on 6 months of HoR farming, it drops from PoS

Maximising Corruption

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    At 34.9%,
    Doesn't Corr get the Death's Embrace effect without manually recasting it? I thought Death's Embrace would automatically have an effect on everything withouth recasting anything or am I totally wrong?

Maximising Corruption

It's one of the things that was recently tested and I believe proven the other way, that you need to refresh sub 35% for the effect to work on Corruption.

15+ Year Old Account

Maximising Corruption

If you're having dps issues without a fancy trinket like NMIC then I suggest you work on your rotation and movement first and foremost. I finally got the hang of NMIC last night (9200 on Festergut!!!) but I have to say it is not something I would force any newer or inexperienced player.

For example, in order to maximize my Corruption on that Festergut attempt, I had to:
    Wild Magic pre-pot (before combat started)
    Shadow Bolt for 5% Crit
    Haunt to add second stack of Shadow Embrace
    Wait for Totem of Wrath to drop
    Wait for Haunt to hit the target

Gherkin, wa iz ya TRIX OF DA TRADE??? !!!
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

15+ Year Old Account

Maximising Corruption

Alt run. We have 37 raiders, so not everyone gets to go to 25 man progression. Thus we swap people around to the Alt run. One rogue, alt tanks. Very good alt tanks, but alts nonetheless. I'm not going to interfere with initial aggro.

That said, I'd have been closer to 9700 with tricks too.

R.I.P. YARG

Maximising Corruption

Ya i dont find the rotation too complicated. I just do SB Haunt UA Cor CoA keeping dots up and the haunt debuff..... probably just need more practice with it. I didnt actually practise any time in decimate range so with that factored in i can see me getting up to aroudn 5400 dps on the dummies. I will keep working on it, again thanks for the input guys.

Maximising Corruption

At 34.9%,
    In our case getting to 35% usually doesn't take 3 minutes. Which means my NIC will still be on cd. I also think you shouldn't use a second wild magic potion. Using a pot of speed during BL will be an increase in dps, especially if you can manage to roll your corr throughout the entire fight.

11.2k dps on Saurfang yesterday
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

15+ Year Old Account

Maximising Corruption

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus
    In our case getting to 35% usually doesn't take 3 minutes. Which means my NIC will still be on cd. I also think you shouldn't use a second wild magic potion. Using a pot of speed during BL will be an increase in dps, especially if you can manage to roll your corr throughout the entire fight.

11.2k dps on Saurfang yesterday
    I ran out of haste pots on the attempt before. Also, at 35% death's embrace kicks in but corruption doesn't refresh, so i have to manually recast it here.

Also, alt run - I was 4th on the meters with 9200. In the main run, I'd be 15th on the meters.
    The Officer warlock is on the top 20 wowmeteronline ranking, so I have some extremely steep competition.

R.I.P. YARG

Maximising Corruption

I didn't think haste pots were that good any more, I was under the impression spell power and haste don't roll, whereas crit does ;o

15+ Year Old Account

Maximising Corruption

Quote Originally Posted by Zeizix
    I didn't think haste pots were that good any more, I was under the impression spell power and haste don't roll, whereas crit does ;o
    Haste pot is only used when you drain soul sub 25% boss hp cos thats our execute phase, hence we want to have as much spellhaste as possible to drain the soul out of the son of a bitch.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Maximising Corruption

I ran out of haste pots on the attempt before. Also, at 35% death's embrace kicks in but corruption doesn't refresh, so i have to manually recast it here.

Also, alt run - I was 4th on the meters with 9200. In the main run, I'd be 15th on the meters.
    The Officer warlock is on the top 20 wowmeteronline ranking, so I have some extremely steep competition.
    What I am wondering Gher (I haven't had the time to thoroughly calculate it myself) is whether it's worth recasting corr at 35% if your NiC is on cooldown. In my case, like I said before, we reach the 35% mark before my NiC goes off cd. Therefore manually re-applying cor would mean losing my rolling crit.

Will the extra overal damage done from cor do more damage than the regular crit enhanced corr?

Obviously if you reach 35% and your NiC is off cd you just pop it again and manually reapply corr.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Deleted

Maximising Corruption

NMIC gives a little over 20% crit which is a percentage increase in your corruption's damage of 20/(100+all other % crit increases to corruption) assuming that said increases will apply both before and after the re-application, should you make one. Death's embrace is 12%. kepping NMIC going will be better unless your crit is around 60% or more (without NMIC).

I think. just finishing work so rushed my thinking a bit.

Edit - corrected with figures, again cuz i'm a retard

(109/100) x 20/(100 + X(109/100)) = increase in corr damage due to NMIC , X = %crit rating of corr w/o NMIC

(109/100) x 20 = (12/100)(100 + X(109/100))

X = ((109/100) x 20 - 12)(100x100)/(12x109) = 74.923 = pre-NMIC %crit on corr at which death's embrace is better.

So I was way off, I'd forgotten to account for the fact that Corr crits hit for 209% standard damage.

15+ Year Old Account

Maximising Corruption

Well its a toss up - which is worth more for a corruption cast: 20% crit or 12% damage.
    Let's say you have 50% crit, and do base 1000 damage per tick, and 2090 crit ticks (gogo chaotic meta). Then you let it tick 100 times.

50 x 1000 + 50 x 2090 = 154.5K

Add 20%:
    30 x 1000 + 70 x 2090 = 176.3K

Add 12%:
    50 x 1120 + 50 x 2341 = 173.0K

So there we go.

R.I.P. YARG

Maximising Corruption

Quote Originally Posted by ratskinmahoney
    NMIC gives a little over 20% crit which is a percentage increase in your corruption's damage of 20/(100+all other % crit increases to corruption) assuming that said increases will apply both before and after the re-application, should you make one. Death's embrace is 12%. kepping NMIC going will be better unless your crit is around 60% OR LESS?.

I think. just finishing work so rushed my thinking a bit.
    That's exactly what I thought, yet, it's still based on a feeling rather than accurate calculations.

Deleted

Maximising Corruption

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus
    That's exactly what I thought, yet, it's still based on a feeling rather than accurate calculations.
    More was correct, when you get above this value (very roughly, I didn't have access to figures), the 20% becomes a smaller proportion of your crit, and thus a smaller contributor to your damage than a blanket 12%.

Maximising Corruption

If you can get a tricks at the start of the fight you'll already have a 10% dmg bonus rolling on corruption with NIC. So it would only be a 2% bonus, unless you ask for another tricks sub 35% which you may have to wait for their CD or you don't have a rogue in the raid.

Another variant would be T10 4pc proccing sub 35% which would be another 10%.

Maximising Corruption

There are so many variables flying around it might make a devoted player dizzy. Ideally I would like to see the rolling crits fixed and the loss we suffer in damage, recalculated in our buffs. It makes me sad that we need to rely on a 'bug' to be competitive in dps.