Deleted

Disconnection Problem

Copy and paste from the WoW forums but since I probably can't expect an answer from there that doesn't involve "delete your WTF, Cache and interface folders" I will post it here as well.

This isn't strictly WoW related but as it bothers me the most with WoW I thought I would ask for help here.
    Hopefully an extremely network savvy person will have a clue what is going on.

As of 3 days ago any online game that I attempt to play suffers random disconnections. I will log in to the character selection screen (all fine) and then choose a character.

This is the point where it goes wrong, sometimes the log in will be successful and then I will get booted after 5 minutes, other times it will take 5+ attempts to log in and then I will get booted within 10 seconds.

As it has only started to occur in the last 3 days I naturally assumed something changed with my network. I am living on campus at university and have a stable internet connection 24/7.

I have been in contact with the network manager and he has been monitoring my connection but has not been able to pick up any abnormalities bar a change in speed.

The need to know information would be that I run Windows 7 and I have no direct control over my network access at all. The problem is recent and is affecting all MMO's so is not a server problem. General internet access such as browsing and MSN remains active during the disconnects.

If anyone comes back with a cookie cutter answer I will be very tempted to verbally stab them especially if it involves deleting folders or anything about my hardware. This is not a cookie cutter issue.

Thanks for your time in reading this long winded post.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Disconnection Problem

I had an issue like this, it was with my router.

Only help I can give =\

Deleted

Seam, did you fix it in the end? What was the problem?

Deleted

Just an update.

I managed to get a character to the direct centre of Stormwind (Trade District) and the disconnects stopped.

This was after disconnecting upwards of 6 times in the run from Northshire to Stormwind.

Suggesting that an increase in traffic reduces the chance to disconnect, this is the opposite of what most people experience.

It could be because of other reasons too. A weak computer, slow or improperly set up internet connect, a virus, a large amount of add-ons. Not specifically giving us a lot of details.

What is your computer specs?

What is your internet provider?

Do you have a Firewall that is up-to-date?

Have you tried disabling all your add-ons and logging back in?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you hit the train tracks you've gone to far.

I had similar problems, turns out it was my modem that took 3 1/2 years of abuse. Other than that I have no other comments on this. Hope you figure it out. :P

Quote Originally Posted by seam
    I had an issue like this, it was with my router.

Only help I can give =\
    Ditto. Next time you get disconnected in game, tab out quickly to see if you get the little taskbar message "a network cable is unplugged". That was my problem and I spent some time in forums beofre I found that the DI-624 firmware worked for my router (WBR-2310). Since I changed firmware I have had absolutely no problems.

If you're certain that it's not due to your router, modem, or network adapter, there only other solution is that it's due to your ISP or the way you're handling your bandwidth. Make sure that all torrents are paused and any P2P applications are closed. If you've exhausted all those possibilities, call up your ISP and explain your situation. Be insistent that you've tried everything as they're likely to pawn off the problem on your hardware.

I had similar problems on my home network.

Uninstall your ethernet drivers, restart, and let windows 7 reinstall

Deleted

What is your computer specs?
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 2.9Ghz
    4GB RAM
    Win 7 64Bit
    Radeon HD4670

What is your internet provider?
    Having spoken to the network manager again today I am using the JANET academic network, don't ask me for more than that as I have no clue. He seems very reluctant to tell me anything.

Do you have a Firewall that is up-to-date?
    Yes, the router firewall is also up to date although I have no control over it, all ports are open as far as I am aware and as the problem has only developed since last week it is not due to bad settings on my part.

Have you tried disabling all your add-ons and logging back in?
    Don't use them, i'm a purist.
    I had similar problems, turns out it was my modem that took 3 1/2 years of abuse. Other than that I have no other comments on this. Hope you figure it out
    The network is reasonably new, less than a year old and has had major work done in the last term as far as I am aware, again as the problem has only developed in the last week this work is not the cause of the problem.

Ditto. Next time you get disconnected in game, tab out quickly to see if you get the little taskbar message "a network cable is unplugged". That was my problem and I spent some time in forums beofre I found that the DI-624 firmware worked for my router (WBR-2310). Since I changed firmware I have had absolutely no problems.
    As I said in my first post general internet access and streaming still works and my connection to various messengers is maintained.

With your comment about torrents and P2P, I do not use them as I have no need to and the university web blocker stops them anyway (stupid thing although I can bypass it with a proxy).

Uninstall your ethernet drivers, restart, and let windows 7 reinstall
    This is a clean install of Win 7 with fresh drivers etc. Everything was fine for the first few weeks of this installation.

Sorry for the long post but I had to cover everyones points. As you can see that standard causes don't seem to apply and the problem follows the opposite of normal trends as it becomes more stable with increased traffic.

Deleted

Have you tried it with a different PC\laptop?

Something else you can try: Start --> msconfig --> Enter --> Select Diagnostic Boot --> Apply/OK--> Reboot --> Try again. This way only the services/programs you need will boot. Make sure you change it back to normal booting again when you're done testing.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Logicaly
    Have you tried it with a different PC\laptop?

Something else you can try: Start --> msconfig --> Enter --> Select Diagnostic Boot --> Apply/OK--> Reboot --> Try again. This way only the services/programs you need will boot. Make sure you change it back to normal booting again when you're done testing.
    I do not have access to another computer with any MMO installed, there are public access computers strictly for work use only. The network manager has told me that no one else has reported a problem although i'm not sure if that was just him trying to get rid of me. Using another computer off campus kind of defeats the purpose.

With your other suggestion, I tried it and my internet connection stopped working completely, I believe it is a limitation of the network I mentioned in my previous post.

Thanks for the suggestion, this also counts as a small bump.

Deleted

Right well, if you have a laptop, try it somewhere else and see if it works.. Then hook it on to the campus network, and see how it performs there. That way you'll know if it's the connection or your pc. Other than that I can't really suggest something..

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Logicaly
    Right well, if you have a laptop, try it somewhere else and see if it works.. Then hook it on to the campus network, and see how it performs there. That way you'll know if it's the connection or your pc. Other than that I can't really suggest something..
    I don't have a laptop.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Falconblade
    I don't have a laptop.
    Right well.. Can you borrow one from a mate or family? It's just to exclude certain causes, things just have to be tried out...