new tank, need advice on enchants/gemming

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...alaran&cn=Olus

been tanking for about a little over a week. been griding 5mans for emblem gear etc. dps is my main spec, but seems to be easier to get into raids now being a tank.

i've read some of the core topics on tanking like maintakadin, here on mmo, and other stuff i found on threads.
    i blew 60 frost on the cloak as my first piece of gear. 2nd piece im thinking of getting the gloves? but read the best order is to get the waist next.

i know my shield sucks, i been trying 10man TOC for 2 weeks now with no luck on the aegis coliseum.
    i plan to change my chest enchant to maybe the health one (unless the defense is better?) and also plan on changing the gloves to agility.

also is blade-ward a good enchant for weapon? or is there something better for tanks?

since i knew nothing about tanking, at the beginning i relied on rawr on how to gem. i see a mixture when it comes to tank gemming, some gem the way i did, some gem straight for all stamina.

i want to eventually go into ICC10, am i ready for it even with my crappy shield? should i stack stam?
    the other trinkets i have are the Black Heart and the Essence of Gossemer.

any input is appreciated.

Re: new tank, need advice on enchants/gemming

On the same page: is this guide
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Rawr is pretty bad for tank advice.

Anyway, I'll just pick out the things that's wrong, or could be improved with your armoury.

Chest: 275 HP, not 10 stats.
    Cloak could also be the armour enchant, but agi is plenty good too.
    Gloves: Is threat an issue? If not, go for stam or agility.
    Weapon: Mongoose.
    Shield: You're plenty over the defense cap, use stamina.
    Swap your Ony trinket for The Black Heart.

Most anything else looks solid And congrats on heading to maintankadin, everything I said could be found on there (and you'd get better advice there than here tbh). It's the best resource you'll find

Tips - Get your caps first for higher threat. Expertise 26+. Hit - 8% or 263 hit.
    Next you should be focusing purely on stam as avoidance should be carried by your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Needonboots
    Rawr is pretty bad for tank advice.

Anyway, I'll just pick out the things that's wrong, or could be improved with your armoury.

Chest: 275 HP, not 10 stats.
    Cloak could also be the armour enchant, but agi is plenty good too.
    Gloves: Is threat an issue? If not, go for stam or agility.
    Weapon: Mongoose.
    Shield: You're plenty over the defense cap, use stamina.
    Swap your Ony trinket for The Black Heart.

Most anything else looks solid And congrats on heading to maintankadin, everything I said could be found on there (and you'd get better advice there than here tbh). It's the best resource you'll find
    +10 stats is the best tank chant. provides agil str & stam.Blade ward > mongoose. BV > stamina on shield. Ony trinket beats black heart by a HUGE margin....

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Tanking weapon enchants are pretty lackluster, to be honest. I personally use Blood Draining, because it seems to be better than Blade Ward. Mongoose is a decent enchant still, and the straight Agility enchant isn't bad either.

My personal rule of thumb for gemming nowadays is: If it has a +9 (or greater) stamina bonus, and at least 50% of the sockets are blue, meet the bonus with either a 10 agility + 15 stamina or 10 defense + 15 stamina gem. I'm still meeting one +6 stamina bonus in a ring, which I need to remember to change at some point.

As far as enchanting, I'd go for 275 health on chest, 225 armor on cloak, and the respective stamina enchants for every other slot.