To all you tech savvy people

Hey guys Zebra here,

I'm currently taking a programming class and have to get some ideas for an incredibly basic OS I have to write. While the program won't be advanced in any way I'm actually interested to know what people's likes and dislikes are about their current operating systems.

1. What do you like about Operating Systems you've used. (I don't want "I like OSX because it's pretty", or "Solaris because it's stable", but specific things that you enjoy and find uniquely helpful)

2. What are things you dislike about Operating Systems you've used. (Again not "Networking on a Mac" we all know it sucks, but explain why)

3. What do you like about File Systems you've used. (A little advanced for the average user, but I'm interested to know what people say)

4. What do you not like about File Systems you've used.

5. What do you like about Operating Systems that isn't unique to a single one. (i.e. the start menus, dock features etc...)

6. What is something you'd like to see.

Thanks in advance, feel free to answer all or only some. I'm just interested to see what other people think. There are things I'd love to take from Windows, OSX, Solaris, RedHat and combine them into one super operating system, but I'm wondering what other techies would like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazzia
    Think like this is a Medal of Honor given to warriors in the Vietnam War. How would you feel if a year later, these Medal of Honors is also given away to children for completing a 20-bit puzzle in pre-school? Not so good? Same thing, except it will be harder to complete this 20-bit puzzle than obtaining Firelord and Pureblood Fire Hawk in MoP.

Re: To all you tech savvy people

Quote Originally Posted by zebramints
    Hey guys Zebra here,

I'm currently taking a programming class and have to get some ideas for an incredibly basic OS I have to write. While the program won't be advanced in any way I'm actually interested to know what people's likes and dislikes are about their current operating systems.

1. What do you like about Operating Systems you've used. (I don't want "I like OSX because it's pretty", or "Solaris because it's stable", but specific things that you enjoy and find uniquely helpful)

2. What are things you dislike about Operating Systems you've used. (Again not "Networking on a Mac" we all know it sucks, but explain why)

3. What do you like about File Systems you've used. (A little advanced for the average user, but I'm interested to know what people say)

5. What do you like about Operating Systems that isn't unique to a single one. (i.e. the start menus, dock features etc...)

Thanks in advance, feel free to answer all or only some. I'm just interested to see what other people think. There are things I'd love to take from Windows, OSX, Solaris, RedHat and combine them into one super operating system, but I'm wondering what other techies would like.
    1. I enjoyed Windows XP and now Windows 7. I haven't had any issues installing them or run into any significant problems. Windows homegroup is very easy to set-up but is really sensitive to any host-based firewalls such as AVG or Norton apps.

2. I dislike Windows Vista due to the excessive amount of tweaking I had to do just to make it run smoother and consume less resources.

3. NTFS, better file security and longnames.

4. Nothing, but at work I hate NTFS settings because sometimes they're often configured incorrectly. Some users have a difficult time accessing folders and files they should have access to. However, this is more of an admin problem really.

5. I've always been a Windows user so I don't really have much to go by for this question.

6. An educated public that realizes Mac desktops/laptops for what they are. PC parts with a Unix-based OS.

Nice, an actually interesting post for once.

My favorite OS so far is still Linux. What I like the most about it is the possibility of customizing almost everything, including the order in which boot-up services start. Secondary reason for me liking it is the open-source aspect of it all; you can get sources for everything in the system.

On Windows I hate how all the applications look different and there are no central places for things like updating software; most applications provide their own updating methods. Under Linux I dislike the fact how most applications feel rather separate from the system; there's no integration.

I haven't used any of the more advanced file-system tools, but what I've liked best so far is journaling; it was so annoying when ext2 was still in use and it took ages to check the FS if the system crashed while in use. Journaling made it really fast. I haven't used Haiku myself, but I like the basic concept of BFS that everything is queryable and all files get saved with full metadata information. With proper design of the OS around such an FS it could become really, really powerful.

Nothing specific really, the most annoying issue has been the slow checking of the system, but even that isn't really much of an issue on modern FSes.

Centralized application installation, removal and updating mechanism. That's the one single feature I've loved the most on those OSes I've tried.

A plug-in system for different kinds of files: application specifies what sort of data it wants, image, video, audio, and in what format, and the system then checks the installed plug-ins, opens the Open File - dialog and presents only such files which match the wanted criteria and for which a conversion plug-in is available. Such a system, if done properly, would make it a lot easier for applications to support all current and up-and-coming formats without any additional modifications needed.
    - Hand: n., A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody's pocket. - Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Hey guys Zebra here,

1. Ubuntu (Linux in general). Their layout, muliple workareas, sticky notes and ofc the file manager, this is amazing, you just go in search under media and it will pop media programs which just a click away from a download and install.

2. Blue Screens, The UAC in Vista (alot better in W7), The brilliance of putting Shut Down under Start(fixed from Vista I know). What I want to say with this above is: Think where you are putting things and use popups in moderation.

3. Nearly run everything under NTFS so can't say much about others except for FAT32...

4. ...which is a pain in the ass when you want to transfer bigger files. Please have a file system convertor for easy accsess in you OS since USBs and external drives still come in FAT32 from time to time.

5. As mention above think what you put under start....

6. A grapchical tutorial button for every program that comes with the system so you don't have people screaming for help all the time. A very good and easy accses/learing tutorial for people.

I like windows 7, just because of exe support, I use litestep for the graphics shell, so the customization of linux.

The ignorance that comes with them, creating retarded fanbois.

I love Linux's search feature setup, along with the simplicity of Finder from OS X. I have nothing nice to say about Windows.

Slow system searching, that's really all I have to complain about, that and it being messy.

The ability to customize the viewing experience, not the stock shell. (Linux, Windows with LiteStep)

A good search system.

1. What do you like about Operating Systems you've used.
    Linux:
    Most of the aspects of package management. Most also support Windows like installers too (or at least give that appearance from a user perspective).
    Rolling releases. Even though you do occasionally get the odd bug from a program expecting an older library, having everything up to date is nice.
    Theming. Art is subjective, you aren't going to get everyone to like the same thing. Notice how many WoW addons simply change the art of the UI.
    Plasma. I like being able to change how my desktop layout. I like how I am not stuck with a particular widget if I do not like it.
    It (tends to) come with the kitchen sink. No scowering the internet downloading drivers, no having to waste a bunch of time downloading an office suite (just to convert powerpoints into pdfs.... stupid profs...).
    While it may not support all devices, it does it without having to use the waste of diskspace that the manufacture tries to force you to use to use their device (iTunes, MediaManager, etc). These apps are always POS, and I'm glad they don't work on Linux.
    Amarok. It is the best music player to exist.
    Windows:
    The new task manager in 7. It is nice to use. It is also extremely touch friendly. (my production system is a touchscreen netbook.
    Homegroup. Setting up shares is stupid simple. However, this should have been done at least 5 years sooner.
    Its graphics stack is incredibly reliable. MS realized that ATI likes to hire monkeys to do driver programming and the windows graphics stack is able to keep one thing from taking down the entire stack.
    Graphics performance is also superb. You can tell they view being able to run games as a cornerstone of their OS's success.
    2. What are things you dislike about Operating Systems you've used.
    Linux:
    Package management is presented more technically than it needs to be.
    You either have to decide between which distribution's bugs you are willing to live with, or use a distro that requires hand coding text files.
    There is no good KDE distro. The only good one is from a highly technical distro (Arch). The next best solution is Fedora, the original Gnome-centric distro that basically ignores KDE.
    Apps (SPICE or MATLAB like stuff) in fringe niches tend to lack a UI or be extremely complex. or more commonly, both.
    Setting up shares requires a phd from MIT.
    Windows:
    Power management seems to lack fine control. Its like building lego with boxing gloves on. I can't get my tablet to auto-suspend if and only if it is not plugged in.
    There is no music app worth downloading. Windows music players are really only meh at best.
    Windows has tens of thousands of millions off apps. Most are garbage. A few are gems, the rest make you want to stab yourself in the dick.
    I default install of Windows, by itself, has like 6 different looks and feels going on.
    Windows Journal is fucking worthless. It is meant to provide note taking for touch only input, but its UI is one of the least touch friendly UI's in a default Windows install.
    3. What do you like about File Systems you've used.
    Note: I've used FAT, NTFS, Ext2, Ext3, Ext4, XFS, ReiserFS, JFS, and btrfs.
    The reliability of the reliable FS's in the list. About half of those will survive a power plug pull during a write operation. That is pretty much a worst case situation, and it comes out in a consistent state.
    The Linux file systems have figured out that moving a file within the filesystem only requires updating the inodes.
    FAT can be used by any OS ever.
    btrfs is omg fast.
    I know it was a design choice, and I get the reasoning, but I hate that XFS mangles files when shit goes bad.
    FAT sucks in every other way possible.
    Ext3 requiring boot time checks.
    NTFS takes a fucking week to move a file within the FS.
    NTFS requires defragmenting (thankfully Windows does this behind the scenes now).
    Better application management.

If you are doing an OS for a class, I would be really really surprised if you got pasted something with an even basic CLI.