Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ret gemming question

So , from what EJ says
    Yellow slots:
    With 2T9 equipped, if a yellow socket has a 4 STR bonus or better, you can gem one of these (usually inscribed). Once you replace 2T9, it's recommended that you just gem everything pure STR.

But from RAWR i notice a DPS LOSS if i gem everything in STR instead of 10str 10 crit in yellow sockets with 4STR bonus or better.

I am 4 PC T10 atm.

Can someone clarify this please ?

Re: Ret gemming question

I would guess that it depends on your current gear etc etc.
    But if I recall correctly (not very cetrain) the dps difference is gonna be so small it doesn't really matter.
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm very unsure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arhippa
    When you take GC and replace G with C, C with H and add INA you get CHINA !

Coincidence ? I DON'T THINK SO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrotan
    Take your nerfs like a man and not some spec hopping bandwagon groupie.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Vashj&n=Aletra

Hmm so i guess it doesnt really matter after all , aight

the whole point to gem the str/crit gems is for the 2p tier9 and i believe if you have a chance to get the heroic t9 pieces helm/gloves are the best to keep and then 2 piece t10 is pretty much staying bis for a long while.. i for one and holding out on dropping it till i atleast get 4p 264 t10 and the gloves from fester..

Red socket - Gem Bold
    Blue Socket - Gem Bold
    Yellow Socker - Gem Bold unless the bonus is +6 or higher to strength, then gem Inscribed

the whole point to gem the str/crit gems is for the 2p tier9 and i believe if you have a chance to get the heroic t9 pieces helm/gloves are the best to keep and then 2 piece t10 is pretty much staying bis for a long while.. i for one and holding out on dropping it till i atleast get 4p 264 t10 and the gloves from fester..
    So what if i don't have the chance to get Heroic T9 , should i stick with 4 PC T10 and gem still str/crit in yellow sockets or pure STR ?

There was a discussion recently about this on EJ if you feel like going over it yourself, but i believe the conclusion was that you still gem Inscribed Ametrine for any yellow slot with a strength bonus of 4.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by omnibishop
    Red socket - Gem Bold
    Blue Socket - Gem Bold
    Yellow Socker - Gem Bold unless the bonus is +6 or higher to strength, then gem Inscribed
    3 things to add:
    -- Anything with a +5 STR socket bonus or above is okay to gem with an Insc. Am. without 2pc T9
    -- The ICC Rep Ring, which has an Agility bonus, is worth socketing an Insc. Am in, as you get more DPS than with a straight Bold Cardinal Ruby.
    -- NMT in a blue socket that yields the highest amount of STR.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    3 things to add:
    -- The ICC Rep Ring, which has an Agility bonus, is worth socketing an Insc. Am in, as you get more DPS than with a straight Bold Cardinal Ruby.
    As a theoretical gain of ~1-2dps I highly advise people to gem for 20str instead. Any fight in which you'd have to more a solid str gem would pull ahead.

Guaranteed damage is a better than a chance at better damage on a movement fight.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Adamson
    As a theoretical gain of ~1-2dps I highly advise people to gem for 20str instead. Any fight in which you'd have to more a solid str gem would pull ahead.

Guaranteed damage is a better than a chance at better damage on a movement fight.
    I approve, the same reason i never gemmed for the +4 str with an inscribed because it gave less then 1dps.. is it worth it? nope, not that much

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora
    I approve, the same reason i never gemmed for the +4 str with an inscribed because it gave less then 1dps.. is it worth it? nope, not that much
    No, but it is cheaper

15+ Year Old Account

No, but it is cheaper
    cost the same honor... oh wait you guys still buy gem at the ah? So thats on your ass that im doing thousand of golds every day xD

I'd have to pvp to buy gems with honor. And not keep buying heirlooms to do it with badges.

But it is also better to have the orange gems. Unless you are sitting on like 60% crit raid buffed.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

No, but it is cheaper
    you are so under utilizing your JC profession. i can tell because you are not maxed. Buy gems, cut gems, sell gems, ???, profit.
    Pondering returning.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoll
    I'd have to pvp to buy gems with honor. And not keep buying heirlooms to do it with badges.

But it is also better to have the orange gems. Unless you are sitting on like 60% crit raid buffed.
    lets say you have 3 gem slot where you can use it.. you gain a big 0.66%/12str against 30str
    i prefer the later

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora
    lets say you have 3 gem slot where you can use it.. you gain a big 0.66%/12str against 30str
    i prefer the later
    i'm aware of the stat difference, but better is better. I don't personally like it either, but I do it.
    Pondering returning.

No, but it is cheaper
    This is exactly my view on the situation. In the gear your mostly likely rocking, you probably do around 9k on festergut. Is 1-3 dps per gem worth about 50-70 gold per gem (or twice as many badges)? In my eyes no. Min/Maxing has its place in a raiders eyes, but I just don't think its worth the hastle.

TLR
    Time = money
    Cost of Red gems > Cost of orange gems; hence
    20 str Gems waste your time

Quote Originally Posted by shakkenbake
    This is exactly my view on the situation. In the gear your mostly likely rocking, you probably do around 9k on festergut. Is 1-3 dps per gem worth about 50-70 gold per gem (or twice as many badges)? In my eyes no. Min/Maxing has its place in a raiders eyes, but I just don't think its worth the hastle.

TLR
    Time = money
    Cost of Red gems > Cost of orange gems; hence
    20 str Gems waste your time
    wait, what? that came off like you are defending both sides. When did you become a politician?
    Pondering returning.

Deleted

I'm going to keep using hybrid gems even when getting 4PT10 because - as already stated - they twice as cheap.

Cardinal Ruby = 20 emblems of triumph
    Ametrine = 10 emblems of triumph

Considering you get about 5 emblems a day from doing daily heroic for frost emblems, the choice is pretty clear

It's been a long time since cost factored into my gemming.

Hope your guilds never catch wind of this, heh.