Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Professions from most to least expensive

Just trying to set the record strait in terms of how much it costs to level each profession from 1-450.

1.) Blacksmithing
    2.) Jewelcrafting
    3.) Engineering
    4.) Enchanting
    5.) Tailoring
    6.) Alchemy
    7.) Leatherworking
    8.) Inscription

Any opinions, disagreements, etc.?
    I run a satire / humor blog site very The Onion-esque. It's like taking trolling to another level.

www.spinatlantic.com

Re: Professions from most to least expensive

i am pretty sure enchanting is much more expenisve if you power level

All depends on if you have a gathering profession to co-inside with the profession you're levelling. But power levelling means enchanting would be number 1.

I 'made' money leveling JC.
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

Alchemy is the cheapest, leatherworking can be very expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo
    All depends on if you have a gathering profession to co-inside with the profession you're levelling. But power levelling means enchanting would be number 1.
    Eh, on Lothar, the only extremely pricey part is 290-300 (Excluding 440-450 - I suppose I should have put that somewhere in the OP)
    I run a satire / humor blog site very The Onion-esque. It's like taking trolling to another level.

www.spinatlantic.com

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Infernix
    I 'made' money leveling JC.
    Same actually, about 3k from the end products and "waste" prospected stuff :P.
    Skullmaster - Slathe - Duat - Tamriel

Absolutely everything happens for a reason - Omnia Causa Fiunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin
    Eh, on Lothar, the only extremely pricey part is 290-300 (Excluding 440-450 - I suppose I should have put that somewhere in the OP)
    That's silly. First, the exception swallows the rule. Second, a great deal depends on the economy of the server. I power leveled Enchanting on my alt and it ran me almost 12K gold. Three months later the price of infinite dust had fallen from 120g stack to 25g stack where it is now. That change alone would have saved me several thousand gold.

I think all such lists are meaningless because there are too many random variables between accounts and servers.

I think Engineering should be #1 with BS #2.. engineering got a bit earlier in wrath but man, was it a royal pain in BC.

My warrior tank was both eng & BS so i was poor

Very dependant on how you gain the mats and server-prices I suppose.

I spent 16k gold on Alchemy and Enchanting from 0-450 in one night.
    - Trim

Engineering is not only ridiculously expensive, but generally just a giant pain. Having done Engineering, BS, JC and tailoring, I rank them in that order. Enchanting would fit in somewhere with eng, BS and JC I imagine.

JCing 0-300 was a giant pain in the ass. alot of the time i had to farm needed mats since the AH didn't have anything....this was on a full server....i cant imagine trying to do it on a low pop, you would need to farm everything ><.

After leveling them all...

1. Engineering - requires multiple gathering professions throughout leveling it, and while others require mats from multiple gathering sources, none nearly as much as engineering

2. Enchanting - if you level jewelcrafting, blacksmithing, or tailoring at the same time, its not TOO bad from 1-375, but its still extremely expensive to level 376-450, unless you level the profession AS you level. From level 80 and starting at Enchanting 1, it can be a big money sink.

3. Jewelcrafting - I had a hard time deciding this or BS as #3. Both compete with each other on the raw material of choice (ores), but the amount of waste, and lack of getting money back on crafted items compared to BS had me rank it as #3.

4. Blacksmithing - huge money sink for ores/bars if you don't have mining, but the fact you can sell off all the "trash" items you make leveling to enchanters who might also be leveling is a perk and recovers some of your losses.

5. Alchemy - Again, another competition-type profession, but with Inscription. The fact that you can't really recover much of your losses from lower level potions and flasks has me rank this one higher than Inscription.

6. Leatherworking - Although skinning is a bit of an annoying profession, leathers generally are cheap, and you can recoup losses just like blacksmithing and tailoring.

7. Tailoring - So much cloth to be looted... Really just a joke to level. And, like blacksmithing and leatherworking, you can sell the items you craft to enchanters leveling up to disenchant. This and leatherworking actually are the two that can make you gold while leveling them up.

8. Inscription - So many useful glyphs that can be constantly sold. Few trash ones, but hey, the professions a joke to level, and only alchemists as your competition on mats.

sofar i only sort of powerlvlt jc, enchanting (tried) and inscription.
    i gave up enchanting around 300/400 cos i just couldnt pay for the mats:P

jc was a pain aswell aspecialy at the start where some stuff was just way to over priced, but inscription is the easiest of them all.
    made lots of money by making glyphs and selling them.
    most people just put the high lvl glyphs on there which makes the low lvl glyphs rare and cost more

(tailoring is just dont lvl first aid and put all cloth you find in it, lw is just as easy if you have skinning to support it)

BS was very cheap for me as I leveled mining and used all the mats farmed from that for it. Anything will be the most expensive if you buy all the mats, it depends on your server, for example most pre WoTLK ores sell 100g+ a stack on mine.

I just powerleveled BS without mining, and it was slightly profitable. I DEd every item I made, sold the enchanting mats (Old world mats sell fairly well for people powerleveling Enchanting, as do rods), and sold a few WotLK items such as Deadly Saronite Dirks (Used for plate DPS crafts) and Titansteel items, I'm a bit over breaking even on my money invested. Is the list looking at just total money spent, or net gain/loss?

Also my pre-BC ores were actually fairly cheap, so that's probably a lot of the reason.

Powerleveling, or buying all mats.

Enchanting/Engineering
    Jewelcrafting/Blacksmithing
    Alchemy

Leveling Enchanting/Tailoring probably is the easiest and towards the cheapest to level. You essentially only have to buy cloth, instead of having to buy Enchanting mats, or mats for any other profession.

15+ Year Old Account

depends on server?

I recently dropped skinning/LW for JC/LW and i'm sat at 432 /450 atm letting my daily icey prism get 1 skill point per day, purely because the uncut Meta gems on my server are like 70-100g each. I'd rather save 1500g and do it my way till the end.

1-300 odd was not too bad, 300-375 got slightly expensive but not too bad. 375-425 was a b*tch. That part alone cost me about 1k gold. I started off with about 4800g and finished with about 3000g when i got to 430. (I had help early on from a 235 mining alt and late on with a JC friend that chucked his trash gems 375+) it would have cost me alot more if it wasnt for them

From voices of experience i'd have to go with Enchanting/Engineering & Jewelcrafting/BS being the most expensive and i'd say Tailoring would be the cheapest. LW would depend on your server, but i know it'd cost alot to power level on mine

On Darrowmere (US), I have much different results. ore is relatively cheap (so JC/engineering/blacksmithing aren't awful to level). Meanwhile leather is absolutely impossible to find. If you're buying from the AH, you're going to be paying 25-40g per stack medium-knothide leather. And considering how much leather it takes for patterns, that's a lot of money. Likewise, because of the lack of low-level greens, enchanting is a pain in the ass to level.

1 Leatherworking
    2 Enchanting
    3 Jewelcrafting
    4 Blacksmithing
    5 Engineering
    6 Alchemy