Relics - Cataclysm distribution idea.

As it is right now, Relics are not on the loot lists of any bosses due to the fact that only one class can use each type. Instead it is in Emblem vendors. A useable solution, but not a very interesting one. My suggestion is simple: give the classes that use Relics class-specific quests within the suitable raid tiers to unlock Relics.

Take, as an example, Death Knights. Let us assume that with patch 4.1 comes two raids: The Firelands and Deepholme (in this example, Deepholme is harder than The Firelands). The quest for Death Knight tanks to gain their tier 12-equivalent Sigil would be to kill the two first bosses in The Firelands and the first boss in Deepholme whilst doing some sort of amazing acrobatic trick involving Death Grip and jumping around. Or something along those lines, I don't have enough imagination to come up with something fun

This could also open up the possibility of 'Hard Mode Relics', where you have to do a similar, possibly slightly modified quest in the hard modes to gain a small upgrade on your Relic. And last, but not least, if you simply cannot complete the quest for some reason (broken space bar, broken Death Grip button, you name it) you can buy it for an obscene amount of emblems.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I thought this could be a fun way of gaining new sigils, all part of a system where you get to be a bit more 'improvisational' with your character.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Relics - Cataclysm distribution idea.

I don't really like the idea. That way, people wouldn't have to "grind" for their items, but they would just get them handed over...

They could add a toked system though, as in: add a relic to the Tier Pieces. That you can use your Token for: either a new Tier Piece, or a Relic/Libram or whatever else there will be
    Dawwwwwww

No thanks. What I think would be better would be having the relics/sigils/idols/librams/etc. tied in with archeology. Makes more sense to find a lost tome/idol/sigil/relic then to buy one from a vendor, while still offering some degree of difficulty.

I don't see this happening just because Blizzard has expressed in the past their feeling that class-specific quests are pretty much a waste of development time. Designing four new class quests every raid tier seems a bit much.

I like the idea of relics coming from elsewhere than badges. Just doing daily heroic / whatever instance is the new one till you have enough emblems isn't exactly interresting. Your way sounds too simple to me still, however to avoid it being dull you'd probably wanna change how it works from tier to tier.

What I think is more important are the idols themselves. With 3.2 released we got flat bonus relics with high uptimes. There was no doubt that you'd go for the new relics compared to what you could get before. While this was fun when you got them, I miss thinking about a relic before a fight, which no longer is even remotely interresting (for resto druids at least). Mechanic changing relics(ie resto druid T8 4piece, T9 4piece or either T10 bonus, just way way less powerful) isn't a bad idea either. If all relics are very easy to obtain (like they are now) then noone would complain if some fights would favor some relics.

TL;DR Instead of "increases SP by 200" or "decreases cost of x by 204" then lets see some interresting relic mechanics that makes you wanna keep a relic

I'm sorry for going a bit off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Soliden
    No thanks. What I think would be better would be having the relics/sigils/idols/librams/etc. tied in with archeology. Makes more sense to find a lost tome/idol/sigil/relic then to buy one from a vendor, while still offering some degree of difficulty.
    I've always thought that their should be entry-level crafted relics, wands, etc. I mean, we have entry level gear that's crafted.

Why not scribes make librams, chanters keep the wands, archeology could craft the sigils and idols and engineers can keep making guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeldruid
    I like the idea of relics coming from elsewhere than badges. Just doing daily heroic / whatever instance is the new one till you have enough emblems isn't exactly interresting. Your way sounds too simple to me still, however to avoid it being dull you'd probably wanna change how it works from tier to tier.

What I think is more important are the idols themselves. With 3.2 released we got flat bonus relics with high uptimes. There was no doubt that you'd go for the new relics compared to what you could get before. While this was fun when you got them, I miss thinking about a relic before a fight, which no longer is even remotely interresting (for resto druids at least). Mechanic changing relics(ie resto druid T8 4piece, T9 4piece or either T10 bonus, just way way less powerful) isn't a bad idea either. If all relics are very easy to obtain (like they are now) then noone would complain if some fights would favor some relics.

TL;DR Instead of "increases SP by 200" or "decreases cost of x by 204" then lets see some interresting relic mechanics that makes you wanna keep a relic

I'm sorry for going a bit off topic.
    This, also. I'd like to see some interesting effects from relics. I think the triumph and frost badge relics are a step in the right direction, with stacking buffs and buffs from procs but something like Libram of Fancypants- your divine storm can now increase the damage of your blood corruption/holy vengeance by X while you have seal of command active or something. I'm not good with fancy ideas like that but some interesting mechanics like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't really like the idea. That way, people wouldn't have to "grind" for their items, but they would just get them handed over...

They could add a toked system though, as in: add a relic to the Tier Pieces. That you can use your Token for: either a new Tier Piece, or a Relic/Libram or whatever else there will be
    because we all know how we want to have a pally/shammy/dk/drood role against other ppl who are getting their tier gear, because they want to get relic.

They should make relics a level-up-system.

U get xp from killing outdoor mobs, instance bosses and other faction players(around ur lvl). Then a few levels later u get them from heroic bosses only, then from raid bosses only. (with more exp gained from harder raid bosses)

Per relic lvl u can upgrade ur current relic to a better one (free like runeforging)
    Each content patch that adds a raid tier, raises the relic lvl cap. Should take 1 complete 25m Raid run of the new content to get a lvl up or 2 10m full runs. (or ALOT more lower tiered raid runs)

WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

An easy solution would be so that each spec for each class uses the same Relic, as in Blood/Elemental/Holy would all use the same Relic while Frost/Enhancement/Protection uses one and Unholy/Restoration/Retribution uses the last kind. Ofcourse they won't give the same buff to each class. They could just do like they did in Sunwell, you get one item and you can turn it in for another.

Or maybe they could just put a <Tier x> Relic on bosses that can be redeemed for a relic appropriate to your spec and class. Maybe wands to. That way they could essentially have them drop from bosses while at the same time not having a to specific drop or incredibly cluttered tooltip.

Quote Originally Posted by huth
    Or maybe they could just put a <Tier x> Relic on bosses that can be redeemed for a relic appropriate to your spec and class. Maybe wands to. That way they could essentially have them drop from bosses while at the same time not having a to specific drop or incredibly cluttered tooltip.
    I think that was the person's above you idea as well. I'm not too fond of that because then it's like tier gear(unless they let you buy the relic/wand piece from badge vendors) in that it will never drop when you want it to and 5 people will roll for 1 piece(unless they make the boss drop 2-3 each time which wouldn't be a bad idea).

What they should do is allow certain bosses to drop a relic token, that can be used by all 4 classes to buy a relic from a vendor. However this would mean that blizz would have to add relics that can be bought with badges (else non-raiders are going to be stuck without them) which just sounds clunky.

I'm not sure I like the idea of quests like that having relics as rewards, but I do like the idea of having quests with those mechanics. Maybe class dailies/weeklies? One of my favorite quests is the Alliance-side rogue poison quest where you have to pickpocket a tower guard and then infiltrate the tower, sapping the guy at the top and picking the lock at the top. The quest gave you specific mechanics to use to dispatch the other guards (ambush + gouge? I can't remember) and even though they were elites, they fell hard when you did what the quest told you. I've LOVE to see more things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner_recall
    I think that was the person's above you idea as well. I'm not too fond of that because then it's like tier gear(unless they let you buy the relic/wand piece from badge vendors) in that it will never drop when you want it to and 5 people will roll for 1 piece(unless they make the boss drop 2-3 each time which wouldn't be a bad idea).
    I think he meant putting Relics on bosses that have more than one effect and are usable by multiple classes. Unless the tooltip is dynamic, it could become incredibly clunky.

But i agree with Nymrohd in a way... the ranged slot itself is the source of the problem. Maybe it would be best to just remove it and make current ranged weapons two handed.

It would require some adjustments to not make hunters incapable of self defense in close combat, but that should be doable. Either ranged weapons can be used as makeshift melee weapons(some of those rifles look quite dangerous), or maybe some weapon switching or such. All been done before in other games.

This would also allow for DW to actually have an effect on hunters. You know what i mean.

Best solution:

Boss drops Special token that each class can turn in for their class/role specific ranged slot item.

Mages/priests/warlocks turn it in for wands
    warriors, rogues, hunters turn in for guns/bows
    dk, pala, shammy, druid turn it in for relics

There ya go!
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

Quote Originally Posted by Vasti
    Best solution:

Boss drops Special token that each class can turn in for their class/role specific ranged slot item.

Mages/priests/warlocks turn it in for wands
    warriors, rogues, hunters turn in for guns/bows
    dk, pala, shammy, druid turn it in for relics

There ya go!
    then it's unfair for hunters that they have to roll against other ppl who use it as a stat stick, while they use it as main weapon

Well, it would probably replace all ranged weapon/wand drops, so there would be several to go around... it's still far from optimal though.

A general system change might actually be more effective than that. A bit confusing at first, sure, but better in the long run.

Maybe even replace the old ranged weapons with a general relic slot for all classes?(Hunters could get ammunition for example)
    Then, putting a relic token on bosses would be no problem, as all classes have the same interest in it.

Simple enough. Change the vendors for each class, so druids don't see shaman relics, etc. Let hunters get a 2h out of it, instead of a bow. Then the melee can stop whining about agi 2h swords, hunters get their weapons, etc.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna
    because we all know how we want to have a pally/shammy/dk/drood role against other ppl who are getting their tier gear, because they want to get relic.
    It was an example. It could just be some different kind of token (Has 20% of dropping, can be traded in by those classes that use Sigils etc)
    Dawwwwwww