15+ Year Old Account

My next-generation console predictions (mostly Nintendo)

Noone wants to get their feet dirty and kick this forum off eh? Well I'm the man for the job!
    Anyways, as the title suggests, here is my prediction for the release dates of the next set of consoles.

North American Console Release Date Scheme
    NES-Oct. 1985

~6 years~

SNES-Sep. 1991

~5 years~

N64-Sep. 1996 Playstation-Sep. 1995

~5 years~ ~5 years~

Gamecube-Nov. 2001 PS2-Oct. 2000 XBOX-Nov. 2001

~5 years~ ~6 years~ ~4 years~

Wii-Nov. 2006 PS3-Nov. 2006 XBOX360-Nov. 2005

~5 years~ ~5 years~ ~????~

????-Holidays 2011 ????-Holidays 2011 Depends if Natal is a success, varies

My personal prediction is that we will see the next Nintendo released in holidays 2012 at the latest, and holidays 2011 at the earliest. Sony will probably want to give Nintendo competition ASAP when the floodgates open, although there isn't much of a trend to follow for Sony or Microsoft, it's reasonably logical to assume that that's the case. As for Microsoft, they have said project Natal is their next-gen. My guess is that if Natal fails, they will pump out a new system and try to make it sound like they didn't say that Natal is next-gen, and if not, they'll milk it for awhile.

A 2012 release for the next Nintendo system would probably be worst-case scenario, and if Wii sales are still super high they might make it backwards compatible, assuming it uses motion-sensing.

Edit: I don't think they will unveil new home consoles at this year's E3, but Nintendo might show the DS's next-gen successor, and Sony might show a PSP 2 or something. Microsoft might try competing in the handheld market, who knows.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Re: My next-generation console predictions (mostly Nintendo)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Microsoft say that Natal was only partly next-gen, in the sense that it's just a sort of link between the 360 and whichever comes next?

Xbox 720, PS4, Super Wii...and then...Playbox Wii

Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Microsoft say that Natal was only partly next-gen, in the sense that it's just a sort of link between the 360 and whichever comes next?
    Correct -- they even already have pictures of it on their website and everything (within reason) that it is capable of doing (also on their website).

In short, Natal will essentially be a docking station that will incorporate what "everyone" loves about the Wii and allow players to move themselves rather than by controller.

EDIT: Slated for release Holiday 2010

Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb
    No they are extending the lifespan of a 360 by releasing nathal(or thats the idea behind it), pretty sure they will keep using it for the next xbox though. Nintendo already announced wii 2 though versus sony/microsoft so they will probly release it earlier then these two(its also the most needed ghrapic wise and I don't think sony feels really pressured atm updating their specs).

So I'm guessing wii2 even maybe this december if were lucky(which will be just a specs upgrade basicly), otherwise march 2011 ish, and ps4/xbox3 late 2012.

Just my random toughts=P.

XBox 720
    PS4
    Wiii

I doubt M$ will gamble their whole next generation on Natal. I for one will switch to PS4 or Wiii if Natal is the only thing M$ has to offer.

Better graphics are needed for consoles already, another 5 years of XBox 360 style graphics would be fail.
    I've been banned from forums countless times for having an opinion. Well, my opinion still hasn't changed, but my username has gone through numerous incarnations.

15+ Year Old Account

I don't know the exact details, but yeah I realize Natal wouldn't be the last thing Microsoft's console marketting. I just want to establish that I play the 3 systems, but primarily Nintendo. PS3 I play for Final Fantasy, Tekken, MGS, etc. 360 is the one I don't own, but I play it when I'm at friends, pretty much just for halo, since alot of the shooters are third party and also on PS3, combined with the fact that I don't play shooters alot, I just didnt want to spend a bunch of money on a system for a couple games.

Just want to reinforce Chronalis's forum rules, console flaming isn't allowed :P TRY to see things from many perspectives and abandon your feverish defense of your respective favourite consoles, we all have a common passion for games anyways.I favor Nintendo for my own reasons, but still like other systems.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

15+ Year Old Account

I would think the new new consoles will take a little longer because of the technology used. Although.. Nintendo probably does want to get a new console out. Wii is great just.. I don't have enough room for Wii tennis :P I mostly just play VC games on my Wii now.

I've loved Nintendo for years but I hope they stray away from the mentality the had with the Wii. While the concept is great, the technology is lagging a bit behind (as far as actual video game development goes) It has so many possibilities it's actually a limitation since a lot of companies don't feel like experimenting new ways to use the technology the Wii offers.

Look at Tony Hawk's Ride. New peripheral, different mechanics for a skateboard game and it still flopped. A lot of gamers don't feel like bouncing around in a living room all the time (granted it is sort of healthy...better than sitting in the couch).

Games look more and more amazing each generation and I fear Nintendo is falling short on what they promised. They keep pumping out low quality games at regular prices and while they can be all around fun for a while, they still don't offer high replay value. It's sad to see the Wii has had low sales all around compared to the other consoles (before anyone says anything, I do not own any of the current gen consoles. I do, however play all of them at friend's houses ).

Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul
    It's sad to see the Wii has had low sales all around compared to the other consoles
    Wait what, Wii has the most sold consoles. And every console has shitty games. But enough of this.

I remember an article on IGN.com, it was bound together with Gears of War 3 and said that it was developed for the next gen Xbox, and I don't really remember but I think that they talked about 2012.

On the Wii however they keep extending the lifespan (like Microsoft is doing with Natal) The recently added Wiimotion + and now they are on to releasing that thing that you clip on your finger that measures your heartrate.
    Happy troll since 2005

Really?

Well I've heard the news backwards. Supposedly the Wii has been doing badly from what I heard anyway. However, the games are still rated the lowest in most reviews among all the consoles out there.

Keep in mind Im not trying to bash the Wii in any way. It's still a very good console, but I believe the games just could be so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul
    Keep in mind Im not trying to bash the Wii in any way. It's still a very good console, but I believe the games just could be so much better.
    No ofcourse not, that's a sad thing comming with motion control and weaker hardware I think. Many devs are making bad use of motion control thus getting busted controls and some just trying to make good looking games on a weak system is just bound to fail. But I do agree with ya that both the Xbox and PS3 have better games overall, but most of the top Wii games are unique to Nintendo franchise. Xbox and PS have not as many "own brand" games nintendo.
    Happy troll since 2005

Off-topic:
    Well the Wii have sold more than PS3 and XboX, but as of late the sells have gown down. But I'd guess that's partly due to that so many people already have it. Here's a brief chart:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...ales_standings

On-topic:
    I doubt the new generation will come until around 2012-2013. Currently, it doesn't seem like there is a whole lot to improve on the current consoles.

Wasnt Sony talking about some sort of new disc format for next gen? I know I read it somewhere, I'll look it up.

1 minute of google
    http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010...sibly-for-ps4/

Could it be that?

Xbox 3 is predicted to come out in 2012. Microsoft is already looking for hardware for it.

Wii 2 will have you use Paddles on your Foot and Face.

PS4... no idea.