Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Final Fantasy(ies)

So - with FFXIII incoming in March in Europe at least - do the US have it yet? Is anyone else as excited as I am?! I think it's looking like a huge improvement on FFXII which was kind of a disappointment to me. It felt more like trawling through huge 60 level dungeons and solving annoying puzzles without much immersion into the story. Or maybe I just don't remember it well having not played it for so damn long
    Do we have many FF fans here? What was your favourite game? Moment? Character in the series? Do we have many fans from when the series first arrived in the UK/US?

Personally, one moment that will always stick with me is the usual Aeris/Sephiroth moment. It was my first proper computer game I ever played and completely loved and that moment was just so aweosme in many ways. But the jump between 9 and 10 to voice acting and from PS1 to PS2 always made 10 a really special game in my 'gaming history' so to speak. It brought a whole new audience to the franchise with a rather interesting and slightly more approachable story line (okay, giant whale thing was a little odd I must admit). Also - has anyone played the earlier games, 1-6?

Anyway, just a brief bit of spiel to get started!

Re: Final Fantasy(ies)

I love Final Fantasy, number 10 and 12 were my all time favorite games.

I already pre-ordered a collector's edition of FFXIII, it looks downright amazing, and I've been in need for an FF fix for a really long time.

It's seriously one of the better RPG franchises, no matter what people say.

My favorite game in the series is X.
    I loved Yuna, because of her innocence at the start, and how she transformed into someone stronger sure of what she wanted, and not what others expected from her.
    My favorite moment in the game is probably the battle against Sin near the end, where you have to destroy the fins and enter it. It's just so damn epic.

I think I played the third for a while, but back then my taste in games was still limited to first person shooters and platformers, so I got bored.

I believe XIII will be released in the US and EU around the same time, could be wrong though. I also didn't like XII, the battle system ruined to much for me and it didn't give me the "Final Fantasy feeling".

I'd also say I'm a fan of the FF series and my personal favourite would be IX. I think that's the game that got the ability/skill learning way right, good storyline, and a main character that you don't want to punch in the face every time you see him (yes Tidus and Squall, I'm looking at you). I also found the voice acting in X to be really awkward. Not necessarily bad, but it just felt out of place, especially Tidus, Yuna's and Riku's voices. When you get to know that Yuna's going to die, I hoped that she'd actually do it, just to get rid of her. I dislike people who are extremely naive, and every FF game always have one.

Deleted

I'm a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series, played them when I was a kid. IX, X, VII and VI are my favourite ones. Definately going to pre-order FF XIII for my Xbox 360 soon.

Also already pre-ordered a collectors edition of XIII, and personal favourite is VII, probably cause it was the first j-rpg I played and It's covered in a cloud (see wat I did ther?) of nostalgia so I can overlook the flaws.

VIII was the most horrible piece of shit I've ever played though.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

VIII was the most horrible piece of shit I've ever played though.
    What was wrong with VIII? It wasn't as good as VII or X, but i wouldn't call it shit. I would actually say if they added the card game from VIII to VII, VII would be the perfect game. Absolutely and complete FF VII fanboy and biased to hell and back.

Quote Originally Posted by Xacez
    I believe XIII will be released in the US and EU around the same time, could be wrong though. I also didn't like XII, the battle system ruined to much for me and it didn't give me the "Final Fantasy feeling".
    You believe, i can say it will. The western releasedate was announced in november/december already.
    And FF13 is just a big battle demo....

Also cant wait for it to hit europe thinkin of pre ordering the collocters edition since it would make the perfect birthday present. realy hopin to see how square enix evolved the franchise onto the next gen. gotta say my fav of the series is 7 and 10, only reason cause 7 is infront is cause it was the benchmark for the whole series and everythin about it at the time was perfect, with the comin of 10 we finaly got a step up in the right directions with the evolution off everythin we loved about the franchise so it certainly deserves the second spot on the list off final fantasies
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bllets
    What was wrong with VIII? It wasn't as good as VII or X, but i wouldn't call it shit. I would actually say if they added the card game from VIII to VII, VII would be the perfect game. Absolutely and complete FF VII fanboy and biased to hell and back.
    The gameplay was utter bullshit (mainly the drawing system and various things about the GFs in general) and the story was horrible even by j-rpg standards. I'm not a fanboy of the VII game, I don't consider it the best game ever made but it's the best FF game I've played (by a small margin mind you, if the english voiceacting of X had been better it would be the best one in my opinion).

Deleted

By the way, there is already an english review for Final Fantasy XIII as the game launched in December in Japan. The review says that "Final Fantasy XIII is a blockbuster in every sense, and upon its western release early next year is almost certain to earn itself that reputation as a system-seller. ". You can read it at http://www.electronictheatre.co.uk/i...l-fantasy-xiii if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Plirarlapar
    The gameplay was utter bullshit (mainly the drawing system and various things about the GFs in general) and the story was horrible even by j-rpg standards. I'm not a fanboy of the VII game, I don't consider it the best game ever made but it's the best FF game I've played (by a small margin mind you, if the english voiceacting of X had been better it would be the best one in my opinion).
    I guess this comes down to, obviously i might add, to our different taste.

I found the VIII combat system absolutely refreshing after having playing VII for as much as i had... :

I wish i had played the games after IX more then i have, but frankly i would be lying. Have i been filled with lies or is X+ only MMO games?

Quote Originally Posted by Bllets
    I guess this comes down to, obviously i might add, to our different taste.

I found the VIII combat system absolutely refreshing after having playing VII for as much as i had... :

I wish i had played the games after IX more then i have, but frankly i would be lying. Have i been filled with lies or is X+ only MMO games?
    Aye let's leave it at that then ^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_fantasy_xii Never played it myself but heard it was pretty mediocre.

cant w8 for XIII to hit Europe !! am really happy for your mates and amma let you finish, BUT FFVII is the best game of all time!

-Made by cazy

Quote Originally Posted by Plirarlapar
    You gotta be kidding me by throwing in this, have you even played trough the game? Okay, the story isn't as sharp as VI or VII but comeon, the story is sometimes totaly nervwrecking. For me FF VI, VII and VIII was the greatest FFs ever. I haven't played X and onwards so mutch but I didn't like the skill system in X at all.

The main problem in FFVII that many hate about it is the Draw/Junktion system. Mainly because they didn't take time to take advantage of it and realise how good it was. It brought some fun chemistry from just having GFs/Espers/Summons for damage you actually took time with them. The only down that I found was that I missed the armor/weapon dealing. But hey, almost no games are perfect (Except from FFVI)
    Happy troll since 2005

I started playing when FF moved over to the Playstation so I've played from 7-12. I've got to say that initially my favourite was final fantasy 7 (I hated 9, and obviously x-2) in the past 2 years however, I've replayed them all and found my favourite to be 10 (with 12 providing the best gameplay) the writing is just more mature which I think came about because of the voice-acting. Also I really enjoyed 9 on my last playthrough. That was probably because I played it drunk with my friend (we both took it in turns to do the voices) so we didn't take it seriously.

FFXII's gameplay was a little boring, and perhaps a little more challenging than your average FF.

I hated it as well at the start, but after maturing and becoming better at gaming in general, I found that the game was excellent.
    The combat was still a little boring, but I actually understood what to do.

The storyline, however, was probably one of the best. It's very mature and political, so I understand why most jRPG fans would hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zehlkatur
    You gotta be kidding me by throwing in this, have you even played trough the game? Okay, the story isn't as sharp as VI or VII but comeon, the story is sometimes totaly nervwrecking. For me FF VI, VII and VIII was the greatest FFs ever. I haven't played X and onwards so mutch but I didn't like the skill system in X at all.

The main problem in FFVII that many hate about it is the Draw/Junktion system. Mainly because they didn't take time to take advantage of it and realise how good it was. It brought some fun chemistry from just having GFs/Espers/Summons for damage you actually took time with them. The only down that I found was that I missed the armor/weapon dealing. But hey, almost no games are perfect (Except from FFVI)
    The story made little to no sense, it didn't take itself seriously at all, so how the hell could the player possibly do that? The drawing system was poorly designed and just another thing to increase your overall playtime. The game was a step up in graphics for the series, nothing more.

I've never actually managed to finish an FF game, ever, in my life. I reached up to the final boss/ area/ kind of ordeal in FFIV and lost the will to live; and abandoned XII after realising that I had to grind 6 frigging levels for all 7 (8, oh my..) party members to even have a chance at that frigging forest boss thing. I've always preffered the more obscure RPG's; like Skies of Arcadia or TOS, or even Golden Sun. I may attempt to drag myself through X, perhaps, but even then I detest any FF game on my PS2, including the story lacking X-2 which made little or no sense to me. :/

I actually never played FF until maybe 5 years ago in my teens... Never owned a PlayStation(1 or 2... soon to own a 3 ;D). I've only played the portable games, but I instantly loved them. Recently played FFIII on my DS. I'm stoked for FFXIII.

I'm also a huge fan of the FF Tactics games!