Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Final Fantasy(ies)

Ohh Final Fantasy threads are always great.

I must start off by saying that if you have not played any final fantasy earlier than 7 then you are very much missing out on some fantastic games.

My favorite FF is definitely 6. The story and character development are probably some of the best I have ever seen in a final fantasy series. FF9 is also one of my favorites, do not know exactly why, I just had a large amount of fun playing it. Also the card game in 9 was amazing.

Also for those of you two arguing about FF8, I'm going to have to agree that that game was one of the worst games I have ever played. Nothing was good about it at the time except for the massive leap in graphics.

On a side note, I am currently playing through FF13 and I must say that it is quite amazing. Everything from the gameplay, graphics, art, music, sound, characters, and I would say story if I actually knew what was going. So in all I would say that everyone who likes FF should pick up this game, as it will probably be one of the better ones that I have played.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzy1258
    Ohh Final Fantasy threads are always great.

I must start off by saying that if you have not played any final fantasy earlier than 7 then you are very much missing out on some fantastic games.

My favorite FF is definitely 6. The story and character development are probably some of the best I have ever seen in a final fantasy series. FF9 is also one of my favorites, do not know exactly why, I just had a large amount of fun playing it. Also the card game in 9 was amazing.

Also for those of you two arguing about FF8, I'm going to have to agree that that game was one of the worst games I have ever played. Nothing was good about it at the time except for the massive leap in graphics.

On a side note, I am currently playing through FF13 and I must say that it is quite amazing. Everything from the gameplay, graphics, art, music, sound, characters, and I would say story if I actually knew what was going. So in all I would say that everyone who likes FF should pick up this game, as it will probably be one of the better ones that I have played.
    You got the japanese version? Either way I'm jealous as hell :-*
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Due to the presence of Final Fantasy characters in the Kingdom Hearts franchise, anyone have a thought or two about its extremely complicated storyline?

The first FF I played was 8. I liked it alot and only because it was my first once that I beat and the first FF I experienced. After that I went and played 7 and then 9. I got X on release and have yet to play 12. I've read many reviews on 13 and there has been many bashes on it because it is "too linear" regardless of what people say I'm gonna play it because its apart of the FF series.

My favorite overall will probably be X due to the fact of the battle system. I liked how they changed it, and I also liked the sphere grid. I took Tidus through Aurons and that = 2 hard hitting dudes. FF7 isn't far behind X at all. If anything I guess I could change my mind and say I liked them equally.

My least favorite would probably 9. For some reason I couldn't get that into it. The characters were fine, and the gameplay was great, but something about the story didn't grab a hold of me like the other FF's did.

10+ Year Old Account

The first FF I played was 1. I played it all the way up until you get "upgraded". I stopped playing after that. I was young and the game was "hard". I then played FF2 (4) for the Snes and I remember seeing the EGM ads for FF3 (6). I could Play 4,6,10,11 all day everyday. To me, there is nothing better than a classic console RPG. I haven't found any good Console RPGs for any of the next gen consoles that I can really get into. Lost Odyssey is the only game I have played that can come close to filling my FF needs.

My favorite would be FF VII. The fact that the game instantly jumps in action has always been a great thing about it. Almost ALL J-RPGs start the game introducing the characters to you which is kinda boring.

Also, I absolutely love the materia system, the unlimited number of combinations makes your character different than anyone else's.

Let's not forget the fantastic story, and of course the one and only Sephiroth :P

FF VII = Best one ever hands down. Sadly Square Soft (Microsoft) is to lazy to remake it on the PS3. I know about 100 guys who would seel there Xbox 360 and buy a PS3 Just to play a remade version of FF VII. It was long, had a great story the only problems were 1) the graphics and 2) you had to read every dang thing!!! I think what would be better than them making XIII and XIV would be remaking FF VII....That would make them more money then both of the new one combined also put sony back on the road for being the most popular consolel...

Yay lots of FF fans!

I guess I'll always be true to the first ever RPG I played and almost the first ever game I played, FF7 as being the best. It totally drew me into the world of gaming with an immense huge story line and loveable, intricate characters. I honestly haven't been able to find another RPG franchise or game that has caught my attention (apart from being introduced to the Warcraft series by my bf over 2 years ago).

I haven't seen many mentions about FF9. It always seems to be one that people skim over and never really mention. Did no-one really enjoy it? I loved it - probably more than 8, although the card game in 8 was just the best fun ever. I want that in every game!
    I loved 9 because it had that old world medieval theme which I adore but I guess I can see the dislike to the animation style of the game after we all played 8 it seemed quite childlike and chibi-esque.

I've been thinking of going back and trying the older FF's. I've played through FF3 and some of 6. What from the other 4 would you guys reccomend? Is 6 worth going through from start to finish again?

Also - is anyone a huge fan of the FF music? I think Nobuo Uematsu is a total genius and his music is beautiful and unlike anything else. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Desdimonda
    Yay lots of FF fans!

I guess I'll always be true to the first ever RPG I played and almost the first ever game I played, FF7 as being the best. It totally drew me into the world of gaming with an immense huge story line and loveable, intricate characters. I honestly haven't been able to find another RPG franchise or game that has caught my attention (apart from being introduced to the Warcraft series by my bf over 2 years ago).

I haven't seen many mentions about FF9. It always seems to be one that people skim over and never really mention. Did no-one really enjoy it? I loved it - probably more than 8, although the card game in 8 was just the best fun ever. I want that in every game!
    I loved 9 because it had that old world medieval theme which I adore but I guess I can see the dislike to the animation style of the game after we all played 8 it seemed quite childlike and chibi-esque.

I've been thinking of going back and trying the older FF's. I've played through FF3 and some of 6. What from the other 4 would you guys reccomend? Is 6 worth going through from start to finish again?

Also - is anyone a huge fan of the FF music? I think Nobuo Uematsu is a total genius and his music is beautiful and unlike anything else. <3
    I did not like FFIX for one reason, the characters. I didn't find three chars that I enjoyed to play. I allways had Tristan and Vivi but couldn't choose a third member that I liked. A bit of a shame, because it's a really good game.

And if I should recomend one apart from FFVI (Which is totaly worth replaying imo) I should go for nuber 4, 5 is good. But 4 is just better imo.
    Happy troll since 2005

I've played VII, VIII, X, XI & XII.

My order of favourite goes in the following order (Excluding XI as it was an MMO):

• X
    • VIII
    • VII
    • XIII

Reasoning:

X was just amazing. Great story, great characters and due to being the first fully voice-acted Final Fantasy... it just added to the immersion.

VIII comes in next. For some reason, i just preferred this much more to VII.

VII... i'm going to start such a flame war here but, in my opinion, wasn't so great as people make out. I believe that the only reason people love this so much is because, for most people, it was their first taste of an epic turn-based RPG. It was also the first FF game to come to release outside of Japan (until they released the back catalogue). But... maybe i was just too young to appreciate it and i never went back to it.

XII was just awful. It felt like they just grabbed the XI engine from the MMO and turned it into a single player, action-orientated dungeon crawler. HATED IT!

Desperately waiting for XIII now though... and with Achievements/Trophies... this is going to eat away the next 9 months of my life. (Just in time for Cataclysm!)

I'm an allthrough, hardcore, everloving Final Fantasy fan... I've stuck to the games ever since i first found out about them, think i was about 10 at the time... I have every single one of the original games and alot of the spin-offs: Tactics, Crystal, Chocobo w/e... I grew up playing these games, mostly number VIII as i was my first and i like it because of that, and the fact that this is way more mature than the others... The one game that i will never forget is IX... I played this through many a time with my ex-girlfriend, for whom i cared a great deal, so this game stands out very clearly in my memory...And for the greastes moment in my time playing these games must be when i first turned on my PS2 with Final Fantasy X and i realised that up untill now they have NOT been talking...my mind was blown...
    The man they call Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Trolltrolltroll
    Telling people why you kicked them is the only way for them to know how not to do it in the next group they're in.

Seriously, imagine you're 5 years old, playing with Legos in your room, and dad comes in and slaps you around a little bit and tells you that you're grounded. What do you learn from the experience? Just that dad is an asshole.

Don't be an asshole, dad.

VII... i'm going to start such a flame war here but, in my opinion, wasn't so great as people make out. I believe that the only reason people love this so much is because, for most people, it was their first taste of an epic turn-based RPG. It was also the first FF game to come to release outside of Japan (until they released the back catalogue). But... maybe i was just too young to appreciate it and i never went back to it.
    I'm not gonna start a flame war here, but just to "defend" myself here.

FF VII was my first 3D turn based RPG and my first FF, but by far not my first turn based RPG. That would be Shining in the Darkness, not to mention Phantasy Star 2 and 3 and finally Dungeon and Dragons all of which was to the Sega Mega Drive And maybe Might and Magic to the Mega Drive too, but I'm unsure exactly on the game and if i ever really played it. And don't even get me started on other RPG's to the Sega Master System and Mega Drive

The main reason for my love to VII is because of:
    - Materia and chocobo system
    - Characters (Red, Cait Sith, Yuffie, Cloud and so on)
    - Story (Who doesn't love a villian like Jenova and Sephiroth?)
    and so on. I am biased as hell though. So..

Regarding the FF VIII. The card game was loads of fun. The flashback annoyed me a lot and kept on making me loose my "connection" with characters as i always built. The story was for me confusing a lot of the time, mainly because of the flashbacks. You pick up the pieces as you get along, but i don't like Grey areas for that long. The combat system was also very confusing when you were used the one from VII, but when you got used to it, It was alright. The draw system was annoying though, but not as bad as some people make it.

And IX never ever got a hold of me, i still own it. But never really got it past the 4-5 hours because it never dragged me and and kept me, like VII or VIII did.

FFX was the best especially the battle before the last and fighting the super boss penance which i may say was a pain in the butt to get

The best FF game would be if u actually had to control ur character constantly and u would have to constanly try and maneuveur combos sort of like the Tales series that came on Gamcube and 360 especially if u could play with friends with one system/ THAT WOULD BE SWEET!!!!!!!!! :P

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Plirarlapar
    The gameplay was utter bullshit (mainly the drawing system and various things about the GFs in general) and the story was horrible even by j-rpg standards. I'm not a fanboy of the VII game, I don't consider it the best game ever made but it's the best FF game I've played (by a small margin mind you, if the english voiceacting of X had been better it would be the best one in my opinion).
    The character stat system and gameplay was a bit complicated. You should've just explored it more deeply.

FF VIII was an excellent game and the gameplay was magnificent.