Cherry MX Red or Cherry MX Brown?

I can't decide which key switch to get! Help please.

Neither!

Test out for yourself. Most times it comes down to how hard do you press you keys. There is a small difference in tactile feedback, but most males (in my experience) dont feel a difference.

Browns require a touch more pressure to push and also have a tactile bump you feel when typing. Reds are a linear switch and a bit lighter to press.

My keyboard uses reds and I've been happy with it.

Should have been a poll. I vote brown.

I adore brown, but can't stand red. My girlfriend loves her reds, though.

Basically, my issue with red is that there's no tactile feedback (or, bump) pushing back against your finger. Brown, however has this, so there's this nice pressure threshold that is crossed all of a sudden, resulting in a keystroke. Reds just slip and slide as soon as you touch them, half depressing and all that shit. Yech.

Red-loving heathens prefer them for their slick, speedy, responsive feel - they're generally preferred for gaming. I hate them because it makes typing like walking on ice; way more typos.
    Brown-loving patrionts prefer them for their springy, push-back - they're generally preferred for typing. I love them, because I feel like motherfucken liberace whilst typing.

Quote Originally Posted by composemail View Post
    I adore brown, but can't stand red. My girlfriend loves her reds, though.

Basically, my issue with red is that there's no tactile feedback (or, bump) pushing back against your finger. Brown, however has this, so there's this nice pressure threshold that is crossed all of a sudden, resulting in a keystroke. Reds just slip and slide as soon as you touch them, half depressing and all that shit. Yech.

Red-loving heathens prefer them for their slick, speedy, responsive feel - they're generally preferred for gaming. I hate them because it makes typing like walking on ice; way more typos.
    Brown-loving patrionts prefer them for their springy, push-back - they're generally preferred for typing. I love them, because I feel like motherfucken liberace whilst typing.
    Sorry couldn't hear you over how fast I was going with my reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaelath View Post
    Sorry couldn't hear you over how fast I was going with my reds.
    Better dead than red!

Quote Originally Posted by TeksOfGiggityA52 View Post
    I can't decide which key switch to get! Help please.
    RED.

Funny that you posted this as I just took back a Corsair K70 with MX Brown, and replaced it with a K95 with MX Reds. I originally went for the brown after reading a review, but I found that it was easy not to press the key all the way down. The reds are better for quick gaming imo and I could feel the difference in key response. In the end, it's probably personal preference - but red does seem more suited to gaming.

Highly recommend Cherry MX brown.

The reds don't have that "clicky" feel like the browns do, so it's very challenging to tell when the button actuates. The brown switches are much more responsive to the brain to tell you when you have pressed the button.

I wouldn't touch MX reds, they would be among the last cherry switches I would ever use. I'd go with blues or greens before reds any day.

Edit > Also realize that your typing accuracy will definitely be worse with red switches.
    Last edited by Kelsierx; Yesterday at 06:11 PM.

Kelsierx @ US-Thunderhorn | Blood of the Exiled

It depends, typing long papers with browns sounds like you're lining up people on walls in your house and opening fire with a minigun. Clackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclack
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Those are penis compensation device-sized parking spaces, man.
    Nyah, see!

Herald of the Titans crakerjack's Avatar
    I have cherry mx brown and they're fantastic. I originally wanted red because that's what most people use for gaming, but I stopped myself after realizing how loud they are.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    It depends, typing long papers with browns sounds like you're lining up people on walls in your house and opening fire with a minigun. Clackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclackclack
    Aren't you thinking of blue switches? Browns are quieter than blues.

However, browns can admittedly become somewhat noisy with vigorous typing.

Kelsierx @ US-Thunderhorn | Blood of the Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    but red does seem more suited to gaming.
    They're very much a gaming switch, as gamers bottom out keys on a regular basis. Since my days of school papers are behind me, I'm not regularly typing a lot so red suit me just fine. If papers/documents are something you do often enough, then you're better of with p̶o̶o̶ brown switches.

Bloodsail Admiral
    My Deck Legend Frost keyboard uses Cherry MX Clears. Best keyboard I have ever used. Thing is 3 years old and looks and feels brand new.

Moved the thread, not a WoW Gen discussion topic.
    If you disapprove of moderation, seek an Admin or Global Moderator.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    R.I.P Project 'Titan' - My curious mind will still think of you!

You need to test the switches. Different people prefer different switches for typing.

I use Blues at home (love em) at browns at work (so I don't drive my coworkers completely mad), but I know plenty of people that prefer reds, or greens, or blacks.