Thread: [Music] Metal

Page 1 of 285
1
2
3
11
51
101
... LastLast
  1. #1

    [Music] Metal

    doesn't matter what sub genre just post your favorite metal bands, why you got into them and when.

    Pantera - The first true metal band I listened to in 2003. Before I listened to any metal I was pretty much a 3 doors down, nirvana, etc. type of guy. Then one day my friend linked me a song called Cowboys From Hell and the rest is history.

    Machine Head - Just got into them a couple years ago but man are they awesome. I didn't even know they started back in 1994.

    Chimaira - one of the great modern metal bands, loved these guys since I first listened to them back in 2003.

    Gojira - Awesome Death Metal band from France, if you are into Death metal check them out. Just got into them last year

    I have more but those are my top bands.
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2010-12-09 at 04:12 AM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

  2. #2

    Re: Metal

    http://www.metal-archives.com/userco...kname=Novanter

    I've begun with Dimmu Borgir and In Flames, later Eisregen. Nowadays it's mainly the new Varg album Blutaar and Windir (RIP Valfar).


    Another question to throw into discussion:

    Long hair - if yes - why? - if no - why?

    Yes, because I cant stand me with short hair and because of headbanging, ofc!
    nachtticket.blogspot.com
    music blog, mainly (black) metal
    last.fm/user/veash

  3. #3
    Brewmaster Xheoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    1,444

    Re: Metal

    Amorphis - I first listened to their recent album "Skyforger" and it blew me away. Then I start looking into their earlier work and their albums are so diverse on genres than theyre possibly one of my favorite bands.

    Lordi - Their style is amazing and I really dig all the makeup and armor they have set up. Plus their movie Dark Floors while being extremely cheesy it's so much better than a lot of "serious" horror movies out there.

    Alestorm - Metal + Pirates = Epic win

    Amon Amarth - Metal + Vikings = even more epic win

    Manowar - These guys really did 80s metal how it should've been done and their album "Gods of War" is possibly some of the most epic music I've heard.

    I know there's more but I cant think of anything else.

  4. #4

    Re: Metal

    I started out with a laid back pop and rock library, that must be 4 years ago now, mainly bands from my own Country, but one day, a friend asked me to listen to his new CD with a band called Opeth, from then I've never looked back.

    My favorite bands are as follows(boiled down)

    Opeth - I love their passages and how they change the styles of the music within one song. Their singer is really amazing and changes perfectly from normal singing and growling.

    Eluveitie - I don't know why, but lately I've grown a fancy listening to folkmetal, with Eluveitie as the most listened to(others are Svartsot and Heidevolk).

    Cradle of Filth - Mainly their first albums, as the later ones are crap, good vocal and overall nice instruments.

    Those are my favs, but I visit both bands as Disturbed, Opeth, Iron Maiden, Nightwish(with Tarja) and more relaxing music as Slipknot.

  5. #5

    Re: Metal

    Galneryus: Japanese power metal.

    Blut Aus Nord: French avant-garde/industrial Black Metal.

    Lemuria: Belgian Folk/black metal.

    Thurisaz: Belgian melodic death/black metal.

    Stormlord: Italian Blackened power metal or "extreme epic metal".

    Mad respect for Death, the pioneering death and progressive death metal band, and still the best death metal band.

  6. #6

    Re: Metal

    Manowar / Judas Priest / Metallica / Iron Maiden - Im a fan of all those matal bands and i started listening to them because well, my cousin is like a heavy-metal fanatic and has been like that fo over 15/20 years, then he gave me some of their albums, and started listening them and i fell in love with them.

  7. #7
    Brewmaster Xheoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    1,444

    Re: Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptorg
    Thurisaz: Belgian melodic death/black metal.
    For a moment I thought it was Turisas but it's definitely not what I expected...Amazing music though! Thank you!

  8. #8

    Re: Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul
    For a moment I thought it was Turisas but it's definitely not what I expected...Amazing music though! Thank you!
    You're not the first one who thought that.
    Turisas' Battle Metal album is awesome, too, though.

  9. #9

    Re: Metal

    As my name says, i listen mostly to 80s Thrash Metal like Metallica (83-89/90), Exodus, Kreator, Testament, Vio-Lence, Forbidden etc. and late 80s/early 90s Old-School Death Metal like Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Malevolent Creation, Monstrosity etc.
    Some never music i listen to is powermetal bands like Dragonland, Hammerfall, Rhapsody etc and Melodic Death Metal bands like Norther (early) In Flames (92-2000), Kalmah, Mors Princioium Est etc.

    Let me see, in somewhere in 2004 i started listening to AC/DC and Iron Maiden, because my cousin downloaded such music on my computer, and I wanted to be like him. In the summer 2005 i saw a guy at my school wearing a Hammerfall shirt, and I thought it looked cool and I asked what kind of band it was, so i checked them out. That's how I discovered the Epic genre that is powermetal (around this time some mates of me discovered Nu Metal like Slipknot, Disturbed and Korn, and tried to get me into it, but I've never liked it).
    In the autumn months of 2007 i stumbled across a In Flames video on YouTube, and from there I discovered their older and muuuuch more epic songs, and from In Flames and Melodic Death Metal I slowly turned more to the real Death Metal and started listening to Thrash aswell - that's my story

    Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul
    Manowar - These guys really did 80s metal how it should've been done and their album "Gods of War" is possibly some of the most epic music I've heard.
    Yeah Manowar have some awesome tunes aswell, but it's far from what I think of when i hear "80s metal"
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Armory link clicky clicky

  10. #10

    Re: Metal

    I'll list a few:

    Agalloch: Progressive Folk Metal. I just love the atmosphere in their albums The Mantle and Ashes Against the Grain.

    Emperor: Symphonic Black Metal. Again, I just love the atmosphere in their music, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk and Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise are beyond awesome.

    Summoning: Tolkien Metal/Symphonic Black Metal. Summoning's music just takes you to another dimension, their lyrics are from The Lord of the Rings and Silmarillion. Their first album, Lugburz, was raw black metal but their later work is something unique and wonderful.

    As you can see, I like my metal atmospheric. :P
    You son of a submariner!

  11. #11

    Re: Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw
    As my name says, i listen mostly to 80s Thrash Metal like Metallica (83-89/90), Exodus, Kreator, Testament, Vio-Lence, Forbidden etc. and late 80s/early 90s Old-School Death Metal like Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Malevolent Creation, Monstrosity etc.
    Some never music i listen to is powermetal bands like Dragonland, Hammerfall, Rhapsody etc and Melodic Death Metal bands like Norther (early) In Flames (92-2000), Kalmah, Mors Princioium Est etc.

    Let me see, in somewhere in 2004 i started listening to AC/DC and Iron Maiden, because my cousin downloaded such music on my computer, and I wanted to be like him. In the summer 2005 i saw a guy at my school wearing a Hammerfall shirt, and I thought it looked cool and I asked what kind of band it was, so i checked them out. That's how I discovered the Epic genre that is powermetal (around this time some mates of me discovered Nu Metal like Slipknot, Disturbed and Korn, and tried to get me into it, but I've never liked it).
    In the autumn months of 2007 i stumbled across a In Flames video on YouTube, and from there I discovered their older and muuuuch more epic songs, and from In Flames and Melodic Death Metal I slowly turned more to the real Death Metal and started listening to Thrash aswell - that's my story
    If you like Kreator, you might like these guys. They're currently my favorite thrash band, I love their vocalist, he's insane.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wECPbEEvvhg

  12. #12

    Re: Metal

    Avenged Sevenfold = My first favorite metal band. Rip Rev
    Bullet for my valentine = Very nice group, i like their songs
    All that remains = Great talents on this group


    Ye im more into Metalcore bands

  13. #13

    Re: Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverrend
    Avenged Sevenfold = My first favorite metal band. Rip Rev
    Bullet for my valentine = Very nice group, i like their songs
    All that remains = Great talents on this group


    Ye im more into Metalcore bands
    You're lucky there are mods on the prowl for me, because if this was any other forum, I'd probably rip you apart piece by piece for calling those bands "metal". They're not even worthy of being called metalcore either.

    Metalcore is stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utT0lLC6d5Q
    Those bands you linked are pop rock bands attempting to be hardcore and metal.

  14. #14
    Brewmaster Xheoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    1,444

    Re: Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverrend
    Avenged Sevenfold = My first favorite metal band. Rip Rev
    Bullet for my valentine = Very nice group, i like their songs
    All that remains = Great talents on this group


    Ye im more into Metalcore bands
    Troll detected.


    Also, good Thrash Metal
    Lich King

  15. #15

    Re: Metal

    Just like the 80s stuff...

    Slayer - Reign in Blood
    Metallica - First 3 albums
    First Venom, first Celtic Frost.

  16. #16

    Re: Metal

    Metal is my life. My life is metal. Period, end of story, good bye. (Lol at movie quotes) I always have music on, no matter what I'm doing. I've really been into these bands:

    Insomnium - Melodic Death metal. Beautiful lyrics, sick melodic melodies and they're one of those bands where you enjoy EVERY song on their cds. I don't want to say much more about them, I want you to check these guys out the most. My favorite cd from them is Above the weeping world or Across the Dark. Here's a link to, imo, one of their best songs on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9QCK6l6gKg

    In Flames - Began as Melodic death metal in the 90s, but softened up throughout their career. This band, again, is just amazing. My favorite album is either the Jester's Race, or Soundtrack to your Escape. Here's a link to my favorite song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvzWmPRhhig

    Parkway Drive - Heavy Metal, maybe considered as Melodic death Metal. I absolutely can't get enough of these guys. They began as a bunch of surfers from Australia, just having a band for shits and giggles but soon realized that the band was something, something special. They toured all of Australia, with shows having up to 1000 people after awhile. They soon figured they wanted to go to Europe, and start touring there. Well, they did, and only had shows with about ~50-150 people tops show. So they called up a member of Killswitch engage (cant recall his name, the guy w\ a beard.. and glasses) and had him produce their next CD- Horizons. (Their first CD as an actual band was Killing with a Smile). They worked themselves hard on that album 2x more than the first, a lot more melodic. Once the production was complete, they came to the US. First stop, California! Loved it there, with the beaches and the surfing, they found their new haven. They started touring here, and ended up on the 6th position on the top 100 CDs chart, again, can't recall the name. Up there with your average mainstream Britney Spears. Noone knew where they came from, but they hit the US HARD. Here's my favorite song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE1YLGl8J5c . Carrrriiiiionnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    Please check out all these bands.. they all mean so much to me, I hope they will to you too.

    In summary, ROCK THE FUCK ON FELLAS! \M/

  17. #17

    Re: Metal

    Everybody knows Parkway Drive, no need to write such an essay.
    They're among the most well known melodic metalcore bands. No heavy metal, no melodic death metal, but melodic metalcore.

  18. #18

    Re: Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptorg
    Everybody knows Parkway Drive, no need to write such an essay.
    They're among the most well known melodic metalcore bands. No heavy metal, no melodic death metal, but melodic metalcore.
    I'd highly have to disagree about "everyone knows about them". Blasphemy!

  19. #19

    Re: Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by DrFeelGood
    I'd highly have to disagree about "everyone knows about them". Blasphemy!
    Then it's unlikely you know a lot of metalheads or "people who listen to metal"
    Most metalheads know them, most metalheads seem to hate them.

  20. #20

    Re: Metal

    I heard the discography first of Breaking Benjamin. Really cool guys. They are more rock than metal. Secondly and forever best band in my heart Disturbed. These dudes don't f**k, they make amazing music relaxing and at the same moment inoculate music. After i downloaded Hammerfall & Metallica's albums. Great music. But Disturbed forever
    1 Disturbed
    2 Hammerfall
    3 BB
    4 Metallica
    Metal & Disturbed forever
    When We Ride Our Enemies..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •