Thread: [Music] Metal

High Overlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    I'm just not a huge fan of bands that are formed to imitate the sound of other bands. I see most of those bands developed a 'three/four word name' as a general warning sign, which is much appreciated. I'm not a fan of metalcore as, generally speaking, either the metal part has been done better (or even worse, it's just rehashing Slayer / At The Gates riffs) and the hardcore part has been done better. I'm not a huge fan of djent as it's mostly a repetition in morse code without any sort of groove to it and the actual concept of 'song' seems to have been ignored. Additionally, I'm not a fan of bands that have a sound made to appeal to as large a group of people as possible (FFDP).
    Fair enough, good thing not everyone has the same taste.
    Patch 4.3 Backlash
    Originally Posted by Dashield28
    Oh you mean how they are fixing the talent "trees" so that a 2 year old can take the poop out of his diaper, throw it at the screen and have a viable spec?

Quote Originally Posted by Graafaap View Post
    You get to know some great bands if you listen to Distortion Radio, including:

-
    A Day To Remember
    Of Mice and Men
    Abandon All Ships
    Memphis May Fire
    FFDP
    Attack Attack!
    Asking Alexandria
    The Word Alive
    I, The Breather
    Straight Line Stitch
    -

The list could easily go on.
    Thats a fairly good list of bands that dont deserve to be classified as metal.

High Overlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Doriath View Post
    Thats a fairly good list of bands that dont deserve to be classified as metal.
    So.. you're saying metalcore is no metal at all? Mmkay, might wanna read OP's first post about posting 'any metal'.
    Patch 4.3 Backlash
    Originally Posted by Dashield28
    Oh you mean how they are fixing the talent "trees" so that a 2 year old can take the poop out of his diaper, throw it at the screen and have a viable spec?

Quote Originally Posted by Graafaap View Post
    Fair enough, good thing not everyone has the same taste.
    True that. In all fairness, there's a lot of bands posted that have no appeal to me at all, not just your list. Even 'real' metal like Arch Enemy or Amon Amarth which seems to crop up every other page.

True that. In all fairness, there's a lot of bands posted that have no appeal to me at all, not just your list. Even 'real' metal like Arch Enemy or Amon Amarth which seems to crop up every other page.
    It's true. Even among metalheads there are wildly varying tastes and that's one of the best things things about the genre. I can't stand Behemoth or Cannibal Corpse but it's all metal and we're all metalheads. Live and let live, I say. We all know what we like and what we don't and for a lot of us it changes, often. It's all a part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I think the easiest way to make people happy would be to nerf the target dummy.

Loooooooooooove these guys so much.

New band in Norway, just getting their feet wet. (Song starts at 0:27)

Hate it when they put the damn stickers on the actual CD jewelcase instead of the plastic wrapper.

Still, receiving Tombs - Path of Totality, Wolves in the Throne Room - The Celestial Lineage and Nader Sadek - In The Flesh in the same package is plenty reason to be joyful.
    All pretty solid albums. Nader Sadek is what the new Morbid Angel album should have been.

If Black Metal ever produced a stand out 'hit' I nominate this song.

"New" Solstafir.

It's definitely not very "metal", but this album fucking rules.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

Still in two minds about it. For some reason it just sounds like a black metal band discovered Sigur Ros or something.

Came across this song today for the first time in like 6 years...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9RJXWxth5g

This band is so.... fucking.... amazing...

I saw them live in Buffalo a number of years ago

I was a pothead teenager and was always too stoned to appreciate how amazing Necrophagist was/is

But wow... so much going on when you listen to this music

Still in two minds about it. For some reason it just sounds like a black metal band discovered Sigur Ros or something.
    I don't even consider it Black Metal. I think it's a little harder for fans to get into initially because it completely lacks the darkness that previous releases had, and they did dark atmosphere so well that it's almost expected of them to do it again.

--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTj4z4-Cq-I

Pretty big jump to the side with this new release.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2011-12-08 at 03:56 PM.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

I'm not a Symphony X die hard fan, but this one's epic:

Quote Originally Posted by naranha View Post
    I'm not a Symphony X die hard fan, but this one's epic:

I've been getting into these guys lately

I can definitely get into it

Eluveitie is playing here Feb 28th... I really want to go see them (it's so ridiculously rare for the bands I like to come to Canada) but I don't know anyone else around here who likes them I just haven't decided yet if I want to go badly enough that I'd go alone...
    Last edited by Enders; 2011-12-08 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I think the easiest way to make people happy would be to nerf the target dummy.

Could someone explain to me why do people praise Opeth so much? I often see people on the Internet and sometimes even in real life claiming that Opeth's "Blackwater Park" album is the greatest thing in metal. Even people who don't like metal music say "I'm not into metal, but Opeth's Blackwater Park is a modern musical masterpiece, and I'm so smart and classy and open minded for listening to it".
    So I finally gave up and Youtube'd some of their songs. It was... okay, I guess? It didn't sound bad but neither did it sound like something out of this world. I don't get it.

You get a similar sort of experience with other prog rock/ metal bands, you need to listen to it like 10 times before you realise "Hey, this is actually fucking awesome."

Quote Originally Posted by Kaino View Post
    You get a similar sort of experience with other prog rock/ metal bands, you need to listen to it like 10 times before you realise "Hey, this is actually fucking awesome."
    Yeah, I know. I didn't get DsO for the first twenty times. But then I liked it. Though, also nothing that special.
    I did the same with Opeth, and I actually liked them for the first time I listened to a song. But I still don't get it why do people consider it the best band or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    Could someone explain to me why do people praise Opeth so much? I often see people on the Internet and sometimes even in real life claiming that Opeth's "Blackwater Park" album is the greatest thing in metal. Even people who don't like metal music say "I'm not into metal, but Opeth's Blackwater Park is a modern musical masterpiece, and I'm so smart and classy and open minded for listening to it".
    So I finally gave up and Youtube'd some of their songs. It was... okay, I guess? It didn't sound bad but neither did it sound like something out of this world. I don't get it.
    It's fairly listenable as far as extreme metal goes, especially for someone who may not have that much exposure to metal. It's the same thing with prog and Pink Floyd. Many can listen to Floyd but are lost when it comes to King Crimson, Emerson Lake & Palmer, et cetera.

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
    These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
    All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
    Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation take me home?