Thread: [Music] Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Enders View Post
    Eluveitie is playing here Feb 28th... I really want to go see them (it's so ridiculously rare for the bands I like to come to Canada) but I don't know anyone else around here who likes them I just haven't decided yet if I want to go badly enough that I'd go alone...
    Just go fucking alone. I would. We've never had Eluveitie come to Portugal and they're one of the few bands I REALLY want to see and haven't yet - Give me a concert anywhere in Portugal or nearby countries and I'm there, alone or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I don't even consider it Black Metal. I think it's a little harder for fans to get into initially because it completely lacks the darkness that previous releases had, and they did dark atmosphere so well that it's almost expected of them to do it again.

--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTj4z4-Cq-I

Pretty big jump to the side with this new release.
    Well, it's what they started as and where they still have their roots. It shows a bit in their sound, even though they moved away from it quite dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    Could someone explain to me why do people praise Opeth so much? I often see people on the Internet and sometimes even in real life claiming that Opeth's "Blackwater Park" album is the greatest thing in metal. Even people who don't like metal music say "I'm not into metal, but Opeth's Blackwater Park is a modern musical masterpiece, and I'm so smart and classy and open minded for listening to it".
    So I finally gave up and Youtube'd some of their songs. It was... okay, I guess? It didn't sound bad but neither did it sound like something out of this world. I don't get it.
    It's basically where Opeth's claim to fame started. It was the turning point. Before that, they'd released three albums that basically had the reviewers raving on and the rest of the world ignoring it. Blackwater Park for some reason just was the right album at the right time for them to explode into the world. I still like that album, but in all honesty, pretty much everything else following it feels like a repeat of that album. Other than the last one anyway. It's just basically expanding on that album, the sound of it and the melodies as well as how the proggy and metal parts alternate. Even on the last album, it feels like they're still doing Blackwater Park, except now without the metal. It's basically the only reason I actually can stand the last album somewhat as it's not something of a direct clone of Blackwater Park.

In all honesty, it did set a standard and create a (fairly) unique new sound. It did allow people who did not dig death metal to enjoy those songs because of the melody lines, the proggy bits and the clean vocals. It made them learn there can be beauty in that racket called death metal. Just a shame that when they were touring Blackwater Park, Michael's vocals really weren't that good just yet live and they were static as hell to watch. Was one of the more boring shows I saw that year.
    Last edited by Duilliath; 2011-12-08 at 08:58 PM.

Seems a right place to advertise our metal camp a bit
    All info on http://www.metalcamp.com/ (Eluveitie will be there too!)

Eluveitie is playing here Feb 28th... I really want to go see them (it's so ridiculously rare for the bands I like to come to Canada) but I don't know anyone else around here who likes them I just haven't decided yet if I want to go badly enough that I'd go alone...
    Shit, I'd go if I was anywhere near there, that's my birthday.

Opeth was able to write mainstream-friendly Progressive Death Metal. It's very, very accessible as far as that stuff goes. The way they balance loud/soft dynamics almost effortlessly in Blackwater Park is what makes it a standout. Folk and Jazz mixtures have been done with Death Metal before, but their particular blend of the two is what probably makes them so well-recieved by people.

And let's face it. This:

Is fucking awesome.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

Go for it. They put on a good show when I saw them(in Texas!) at Paganfest 2008 with Ensiferum, Tyr, and Turisas. Their set was short(they were the opener of the 4 bands, so no surprise) but it was good. I'd not actually listened to them prior to that, but I picked up Slania after the show. And it's not like you'll get a ton of chances to do it again, so I say see em.

As for Opeth, they bore me to tears. It's not that "you have to listen to them 10 times before you realize how great they are", cause I HAVE listened to them, many many times. And they always leave me uninterested and bored.

High Overlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    Could someone explain to me why do people praise Opeth so much? I often see people on the Internet and sometimes even in real life claiming that Opeth's "Blackwater Park" album is the greatest thing in metal. Even people who don't like metal music say "I'm not into metal, but Opeth's Blackwater Park is a modern musical masterpiece, and I'm so smart and classy and open minded for listening to it".
    So I finally gave up and Youtube'd some of their songs. It was... okay, I guess? It didn't sound bad but neither did it sound like something out of this world. I don't get it.
    I dont get it either they just bore me...(same with Avenged Sevenfold tbh)

That's because Avenged Sevenfold sounds like (as a friend of mine put ever so apt) like the worst songs by your favourite bands combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Go for it. They put on a good show when I saw them(in Texas!) at Paganfest 2008 with Ensiferum, Tyr, and Turisas. Their set was short(they were the opener of the 4 bands, so no surprise) but it was good. I'd not actually listened to them prior to that, but I picked up Slania after the show. And it's not like you'll get a ton of chances to do it again, so I say see em.

As for Opeth, they bore me to tears. It's not that "you have to listen to them 10 times before you realize how great they are", cause I HAVE listened to them, many many times. And they always leave me uninterested and bored.
    Oh what I wouldn't give to have been at that show. I LOVE all of those bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I think the easiest way to make people happy would be to nerf the target dummy.

lets see. i love folk metal turisas, korpiklaani, ensiferum to name a few. death metal - nile, carcass, cannibal corpse, behemoth all that good stuff.
    i like all different genres and bands in metal, from HIM to pig destroyer. ofc slayer, metallica, pantera. children of bodom, kamelot, BLIND GUARDIAN \m/, machine head (saw them on december 3rd), devil driver, iron maiden obv. black sabbath. i could go on all day, but i wont :P edit - i forot to mention DARK THRONE
    Last edited by BattleMetal; 2011-12-10 at 01:10 PM.

1. Nightwish- first heard of them when my friend sent me a link from one of their songs End of All Hope and once i heard it i was like :O and i instantly liked them. They have a another singer now instead of Tarja but they're still good and still my number 1 favorite metal band. Also loking forward to their new album coming out, Imaginaerum and their movie Imaginarium.
    2. In Flames- forget when i started listening to them, i think it was when i first listened to the song Take This Life and i was just hooked after that.
    3. Disturbed- I've been listening to them for a while now so i dont really remember when i started listening ot them.
    4. All That Remains- Again i just heard one of their songs from a video and i looked them up and liekd their music.
    5. Deathstars- Heard one of their songs from the game Brutal Legend and i really liked what they made.
    6. Dimmu Borgir- Another Brutal Legend song i heard and ended up liking their stuff.
    7. As I lay Dying- Heard from a video
    8. Judas Priest- I also love 80's metal bands and this one is probably my favorite one.
    9. Lamb of God- Just started liking them recently.
    10. Bullet For My Valentine- I listened to to some of their older songs and liked them but i havent listend to any of their newer stuff so i don't know how they are now. My other friend got me into them.

Those are the only ones i can think of right now. I don't know if you would put down the older stuff from Linkin Park as Metal but if so then yeah them too but definitely not anymore they suck ass now, i used to like them a lot. They turned into a gay punk rock band, NOTHING like how they used to be.
    “Ever wonder why ice cubes taste so boring? It’s cuz you make ‘em outta stupid water, you bimbo! Put some fruit juice in there and freeze it into ice cubes, and put THAT in your milk.”
    "One small mankind and I'm gonna leap the heck outta this moon rocket." - Kneel Aurmstrang
    For your health.

8. Judas Priest- I also love 80's metal bands and this one is probably my favorite one.
    Pardon me, while I facepalm.

It has everything!!1!

New find!

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    whoa, I didn't know they released a new album
    great

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Pardon me, while I facepalm.
    oh woops lol i meant to put 70's. Don't worry i know the band was founded in 1970. But most of their songs i listened to were from the mid 80's to 90's like Painkiller's Metal Meltdown one of my all time favorites
    “Ever wonder why ice cubes taste so boring? It’s cuz you make ‘em outta stupid water, you bimbo! Put some fruit juice in there and freeze it into ice cubes, and put THAT in your milk.”
    "One small mankind and I'm gonna leap the heck outta this moon rocket." - Kneel Aurmstrang
    For your health.

Technically, it's 1968 (or 1969, depending on who you ask). But ye, Painkiller is my favourite Judas Priest album as well (followed by, believe it or not, Jugulator).

Downside to Priest is that pretty much every album has like 2-4 classic songs and then a load of crud. Put together in a live set it's probably all gravy and awesome, but just not a fan of their albums. Oh, and Breaking The Law bloody sucks.

Bands which I hope to get CDs of soon.
    Portal
    Disquiet
    Hate
    Mindpath
    Battlecross
    Verreck Attack
    NecrotesticvS
    Adragard
    Through The Eyes Of The Dead
    Forever’s Edge
    The Arkitecht