Thread: [Music] Metal

  1. #281

    Re: Metal

    Heidevolk
    Metallica
    Dimmu Borgir
    Cannibal Corpse
    The Berzerker

  2. #282
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    3,159

    Re: Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath
    Damn shame their big comeback album sucked. Dissection's earlier work (both Storm... and Somberlain) was pretty damn good.
    reinkaos is definitely my favorite Dissection album

  3. #283
    Elemental Lord Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    8,156

    Re: Metal

    Seriously disliked it. Sounded like Jon had discovered metalcore and thought it'd be awesome to include it in his music. Maha Kali is possibly the single most boring song they ever recorded.

    Take a hint from Burzum - the guy came out of prison and a released an album that honours his previous (guitar-based) releases and is an awesome release in its own right. Jon came out of prison and released a dull, boring album.

    BTW - if you enjoy Dissection that much, go listen to the renewed Gorgoroth. It's featuring Dissection's drummer (among other well-knowns) and at times reminds me of Dissection. It's a bit more standard fare now, with Pest doing vocals and King writing the music again, but oh well.

  4. #284
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    3,159

    Re: Metal

    Uhh I have to question if you've heard Reinkaos because it's not even remotely metalcore influenced. It is pretty clear influenced by NWOBHM such as Iron Maiden, albeit with black metal vocals, but there's nothing hardcore at ALL about the album.

    Maha Kali in particular (one absolutely AMAZING song), is quite clearly Iron Maiden worship.

  5. #285

    Re: Metal

    Reinkaos isn't an awful album but none of the songs manage to replicate the magic of Dissection's earlier tracks like Black Horizons, The Somberlain, Night's Blood, Thorns of Crimson Death etc.

  6. #286
    Elemental Lord Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    8,156

    Re: Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde
    Uhh I have to question if you've heard Reinkaos because it's not even remotely metalcore influenced. It is pretty clear influenced by NWOBHM such as Iron Maiden, albeit with black metal vocals, but there's nothing hardcore at ALL about the album.

    Maha Kali in particular (one absolutely AMAZING song), is quite clearly Iron Maiden worship.
    Meant it more as in a boring chugfest. I heard the album, listened to it a few times and tossed it away. If I want to hear Dissection, I'll put on Somberlain or Storm.

  7. #287

    Re: Metal

    Insomnium, Swallow The Sun, Amon Amarth and Dimmu Borgir = Win

  8. #288
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    3,159

    Re: Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath
    Meant it more as in a boring chugfest. I heard the album, listened to it a few times and tossed it away. If I want to hear Dissection, I'll put on Somberlain or Storm.
    Reinkaos is a very melodic album with lots of typical NWOBHM melodic riffs. It's not a chugfest at all. Even remotely.

    You really haven't heard the album.

  9. #289

    Re: Metal

    Bullet for my Valentine
    Trivium
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Metallica
    Atreyu
    Iron maiden
    AC/DC
    Lamb of God
    Pantera
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Black Sabbath
    As I lay dying
    Dragonforce
    Manowar
    Hammerfall
    Helloween
    Slayer
    Motorhead
    In Flames
    Black label Society
    Bleeding Through

    etcetc++++

    Love all types of metal that includes good musical sound, (guitar, drums, bass, keyboard). Really inspiring to what i can do with my own music, but ofc what other can do with theirs. This and many other bands is what will define tomorrows metal. And i've heard ALOT good coming from bands at age 16-22 around the world! going to be fun! cheers.

  10. #290
    Bloodsail Admiral kliffharry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,077

    Re: Metal

    Disarmonia Mundi!! If you like In Flames, Soilwork and that kind of music you'll love Disarmonia Mundi. The main singer from Soilwork helped them out with a few albums. Best part is that the band consist of only two members. A singer and a guy playing all the instrumentals.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTmbl0wK-hE <--- Awesome "slow" song
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnIPvSj0ySk <--- Awesome song
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqUXxnPoilc <--- Awesome "fast" song

  11. #291
    Elemental Lord Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    8,156

    Re: Metal

    For fun:

    Cobalt - Gin

  12. #292

    Re: Metal

    just found this on a dutch site: http://www.skoften.net/index/video/10_metal_genres/

    it's just so damn epic :O

    PS: uploaded it to youtube to prevent the fricking commercial in front of it >.<

    linkeh: CLICKEH HERE :O:O
    Quote Originally Posted by spiny View Post
    I always mean to get around to doing Archaeology but something always comes up. Like anything. Anything at all. Mowing the lawn. Eating glass for others' amusement, watching my cat clean its butt, etc.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler (Blue Tracker)

    Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street is the lead systems designer on World of Warcraft. He has four dogs: three epic retrievers and one green terrier suitable for disenchanting.

  13. #293

    Re: Metal

    Dying Fetus
    Nile
    Behemoth
    Obscura
    Amon Amarth
    Suffocation
    Meshuggah
    Mastadon
    Arch Enemy

    Too name a few and in no order.

  14. #294

    Re: Metal

    Reinkaos was a good album, I thought. When I first got it, I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't Dissection as I had known them before, but considering that the album was so many years after SotLB, it was pretty good. It just sounds like a different band. Good, but not Dissection.

  15. #295

    Re: Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by Traezz
    Wow another person who likes deathgaze, havent found many of them xP....

    My favorite bands are as almost people said
    BFMV
    Deathgaze
    CoB
    Iron Maiden
    Megadeth

    And galneryus, this band as a guitarrist, omfg he is one of the best guitarrist i've ever seen, they are a japanese power metal band, i strongly advice you to listen to it =D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjnNOkjnLVI the song that got me hook to them.

  16. #296
    Elemental Lord Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    8,156

    Re: Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by Invocation
    Good, but not Dissection.
    Guess this is what it boils down mostly. Anyway, time for a new topic.

    --

    Here's a band that made me realise that I missed this particular style of black metal the last couple years. Reminded me a fair bit of old Ephel Duath, Axis of Perdition and Elend, as well as few other bands.

    Pensees Nocturnes - Paria


  17. #297

    Re: Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath
    Here's a band that made me realise that I missed this particular style of black metal the last couple years. Reminded me a fair bit of old Ephel Duath, Axis of Perdition and Elend, as well as few other bands.

    Pensees Nocturnes - Paria
    Had to check the song since you mentioned Ephel Duath. Was somewhat what I expected and I see the connection, but I expected worse. Had quite a few chamber music vibes.

    Might just have to get the whole album out of curiosity even if this isn't usually my genre of choice.



    Random suggestion from me;
    Stam1na - Koe Murha! (Experience Murder)
    Stam1na - Paha Arkkitehti (Bad/Evil Architect)
    Stam1na - Maalla, Merellä, Ilmassa (On the Ground, On the Sea, In the Air)

    Stam1na is what many call the Finnish boyband of metal. Their self-titled debut reached the top 20 on the national album list and lately they have even managed to top the charts. Personally I prefer their first two albums to the last two which have a more "sophisticated" sound instead of being quite as raw. Both styles have good songs, but to me there is a notable amount of songs on the later albums which simply don't catch my attention.

  18. #298

    Re: Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde
    Reinkaos is a very melodic album with lots of typical NWOBHM melodic riffs. It's not a chugfest at all. Even remotely.

    You really haven't heard the album.
    i like maha kali... Ok it's not old classic dissection but my taste can accept it and so i don't bash that last work i actually like some songs and concepts.

  19. #299
    Elemental Lord Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    8,156

    Re: Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by Keoren
    Had to check the song since you mentioned Ephel Duath. Was somewhat what I expected and I see the connection, but I expected worse. Had quite a few chamber music vibes.

    Might just have to get the whole album out of curiosity even if this isn't usually my genre of choice.
    I think the album is pretty good. Don't quite agree with some of their ideas (particulary when it comes to vocals), but in part it's because it seems black metal appears to have moved from that particular style.
    When I made the reference to Ephel Duath, I was thinking of Phormula, not the Painter's Palette or later.

  20. #300

    Re: Metal

    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath
    I think the album is pretty good. Don't quite agree with some of their ideas (particulary when it comes to vocals), but in part it's because it seems black metal appears to have moved from that particular style.
    When I made the reference to Ephel Duath, I was thinking of Phormula, not the Painter's Palette or later.
    Yes it's definitely Phormula where I also saw the connection. Listened through the album twice now and it's indeed a fun one. Can't judge it properly yet as I'm yet to get deep into it, but unlike many reviews I read it seems like a nice one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •