Thread: [Music] Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Sidenote, this entirely discussion and back n forth talk demonstrates why an 'essential' metal thread would be exceedingly hard to put together.
    Well I don't think anyone would argue if someone did make an essential metal thread and listed strictly bands that are unanimously classics/pioneers like Black Sabbath, Metallica, Death, and so forth

Except then if it was singling out specific albums then there could be bickering about that like "Why Master of puppets? Why not Ride the lightning?" yadda yadda

Quote Originally Posted by Kreyzor View Post
    Damn lol I thought the same thing for about a minute, then I clicked it

Really good stuff, only discovered this fairly recently
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeRVtvMv5Qo
    Edit: I just realized how similar this sounds like the album Symbolic in my opinion, just sort of hit me
    just read this comment on youtube:
    The Japanese version of atheist or maybe even cynic. they are pretty damn good
    Atheist or Cynic... lol. I don't which song they heard to come to that conclusion but it's definitely not this one. Overall it's not bad though.

Sidenote, this entirely discussion and back n forth talk demonstrates why an 'essential' metal thread would be exceedingly hard to put together.
    I wouldn't say it's too bad, provided the target audience isn't metalheads. There are highly-critically acclaimed, "introductory" albums that can cover a genre and some subgenres rather nicely.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

Possibly. But look at the previous one - it went fairly in depth with all the various sub-genres added. And really, who would open such a thread? Most likely it would be a metalhead, in which case they might as well scour this thread.

---------- Post added 2012-04-01 at 07:44 PM ----------

Oh. New Burzum on Youtube

Varg seems hard at work since he got out.

Funeral dooooooooooom:

This one more than fits requirements . Great place for fellow-minded people to come together.

This thread actually kinda shows why I'm not into contemporary metal that much. The escapist, outcast element is much too predominant and a lot of stuff has this obscure, depressing, estranging kind of vibe. Not very fun. Overall a lot of screaming and grunting, very little singing & exciting musicianship.

Mechagnome
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    and a lot of stuff has this obscure, depressing, estranging kind of vibe. Not very fun.
    Aside from my escapades with hardcore/metalcore (where stuff have an ANGRY vibe) that is exactly what I value in my music and that is what makes it fun for me. Funny how tastes differ.
    Uldreth <Group Therapy> - Ravencrest EU
    World 141th in 25 man category, 2 days/week, recruiting exceptional players for MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Uldreth View Post
    that is exactly what I value in my music and that is what makes it fun for me.
    Which is perfectly OK, Metal has always been a diverse genre. There's some dark and obscure stuff that I like. However, the depressive, outcast, creepy person kind of vibe has become almost synonymous with Metal music. I miss the more positive side of the spectrum a little bit. Stuff one can relate to without being an angsty adolescent or a nutjob.

The new Revenge is kicking my ass. This might be premature but album of the year? Maybe... (obviously for people who enjoy this kind of metal)
    Last edited by nektar; 2012-04-02 at 08:04 PM.

Love Lacuna Coil and its sexy lead singer=].
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

Mechagnome
    I miss the more positive side of the spectrum a little bit.

Alcest - Les Iris
    Alcest - Élévation

This band you might like. They have an upbeat, dreamy and euphoric atmosphere while also being obscure, esoteric and mystical.
    Uldreth <Group Therapy> - Ravencrest EU
    World 141th in 25 man category, 2 days/week, recruiting exceptional players for MoP.

Which is perfectly OK, Metal has always been a diverse genre. There's some dark and obscure stuff that I like. However, the depressive, outcast, creepy person kind of vibe has become almost synonymous with Metal music. I miss the more positive side of the spectrum a little bit. Stuff one can relate to without being an angsty adolescent or a nutjob.
    Their was a period in my life a couple years back when I would wake up every morning and hear:

Metal can be an extremely positive force. It's just not always the case.

Adding on to the Funeral Doom posted above a ways
    This is also kind of the opposite of positive but whatever....

For some reason this album is like the scariest/creepiest stuff ever for me, but magnificent.

Awesome new Sabaton in Swedish <3

LF some bands like Morgion, Saturnus, Tiamat (wildhoney+):

Warbringer is a great Thrash band people need to know about

Another song (My personal favorite) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqTLve29yqM
    Last edited by WaitingforMoP; 2012-04-04 at 04:54 PM.

Was reminded of this track because of a signature I saw here on MMO-C

In flames, hands down. Their lyrics is incredible!