Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Metal

Absolutely, though their production on prior outings can be a bit of an acquired taste. They've been extremely consistent in the level of quality of releases. To me, Majesty... is their best release, but it doesn't surpass older work by much. They're an awesome live band as well.

Are you familiar with Leviathan or Serpent Eclipse?

Sidenote, I put up an ad for my own band in the new sticky

Deleted

MASTODON.

-EDIT. AND MESHUGGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Klippan
    MASTODON.

-EDIT. AND MESHUGGAH.
    Little typo fixing.

obZen is being really criticized by a lot of people, but I find it one of their best. The song Bleed has probably the most complex drum pattern I've ever heard. It's just that it's not really something new they're doing, yet they're the best. I've heard a lot of bands trying to replicate the band but not really succeeding.

Textures (a dutch band, since I'm dutch I might be a bit biased) did a really good job sounding similar but still different. Polars (their first album) I still find best, although their vocalist at that time isn't as good as the one on the following albums (who left the band end of last year unfortunately). Their later albums are a bit more melodic with clean vocals. Drawing Circles and Silhouettes are their other albums. They're working on a new one aswell, but since their vocalist left, they have to rehearse with the new one first. If you enjoy Meshuggah, I suggest you try Textures to. And if you like Textures, give CiLice a try to, pretty similair, and the vocalist of that band just joined Textures.

To add more bands to the list: Ion Dissonance

Before you go off and search this on youtube/myspace/the great intorwebz, beware; this isn't really your average metal. They bring mathcore to a completely new level. In a span of 30 seconds they usually have several breackdowns, tempo changes and fingerbreaking riffs. Also, it's bass heavy type of music.

It may sound like chaos at first, but after a few listens you (or at least I) learned to appreciate the complexity of the music. If you like Meshuggah you might wanna give this a try.

@Keoren and @Duilliath about Ihsahn
    Great to hear it's getting some love. I really enjoy the latest album (After was it?) and I think is even a bit better than AngL. It focuses more on the jazzy side of things. The first time I listened to this band I immediately recognized the resemblance with Emperor.

Also, @Duilliath if you digg Deathspell Omega, I suggest you give Altar of Plagues a try aswell. Especially 'White Tomb' is an awesome album. Probably one of my favorite Black Metal albums for the past 3 years if not more.

For other 'darker'/doom-ish post-metal: Amenra is a nice one to. Mass III and Mass IIII (Roman numbering gone wrong?) in particular are very good. Although some songs kind of sound the same, it's not bad to give it a listen and skip to something else to get back to it later. I don't suggest you give it a 4 hour listen session, since you might get bored with it pretty fast. But to not pick on the bad sides of the band let's talk about the good.

It has a pretty destructive vibe to it, but at a slow pace. As if dinosaurs are roaming the earth again. Vocalist uses screams most of the time but has a OK clean voice to. Their latest EP (Afterlife) is very VERY calm for their standards. Hardly a metal album. It's their chilling album I guess.
    Pilot: We've got a little situation ladies and gentlemen.
    Samuel: What seems to be the problem, Mr. pilot, sir?
    Pilot: There are snakes on the plane.
    Samuel: FFFFFFUUUUUU

10+ Year Old Account

I don't like Textures. At all. They write awesome riffs and horrid songs. Might've improved a lot with the last album, but I wouldn't know. You couldn't get away from 'em around here for a while and I just don't like them. I prefer The Ocean (Collective) far more, to be honest.

For some reason Ion Dissonance rings a bell, but can't remember what I thought of it. Probably didn't make a huge impact either way if I can't remember. Far as Mathcore is concerned, precious little can top The Dillinger Escape Plan anyway.

I heard the latest Ihsahn now and... if only he could've maintained such a jawdropping level of awesomeness as on the second track (A Grave Inversed). There's a couple of nice moments on there, but most of the album is dwarved by that maddening track towering over it.

I'm very familiar with Altar of Plagues, unfortunately I haven't seen 'em live yet (managed to miss 'em every time so far and couldn't afford Roadburn), but I very much enjoyed both their last releases. It's amusing to think they released their latest as an 'ep', despite its length. Amen Ra I did get to see a few times and they're even more impressive live than on album. Both Mass III and Mass IIII are great. Not a major fan of older work, it's a bit too straight forward/too hardcore-ish still. Not bad, mind you, just not nearly as intense. I actually liked their EP too, though I generally don't finish the reversed track.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath
    I don't like Textures. At all. They write awesome riffs and horrid songs. Might've improved a lot with the last album, but I wouldn't know. You couldn't get away from 'em around here for a while and I just don't like them. I prefer The Ocean (Collective) far more, to be honest.
    I think Textures might be something you're either into or not. Concerning The Ocean, Aeolian and Fluxion are the ones I keep returning to, although I haven't paid much attention to their other work. I gave their latest work (Heliocentric) a go once or twice, and the new vocalist is doing an alright job as far as I can judge after so few listens. Certainly gonna check out their second release of this year (the name slipped my mind).

For some reason Ion Dissonance rings a bell, but can't remember what I thought of it. Probably didn't make a huge impact either way if I can't remember. Far as Mathcore is concerned, precious little can top The Dillinger Escape Plan anyway.
    TheDEP never, but I mean NEVER, got to the level of Calculating Infinity as far as I'm concerned. That stuff was just a master piece. 43% Burnt is just awesome. The first line (not suitable for these forums) of the text is shouted with so much passion and anger. Miss Machine was alright (first time with the new vocalist I think?), didn't really pay much attention to them after that. Until their latest album. Again, an album I haven't listened to more than twice. Not because I didn't like it (at a first glance there are a few nice songs on it) but simply because I've got so much other things to listen to.

Probably a band you already know: Burnt by the Sun. F-ing awesome. All their releases are very strong in their own way. John Adubato is an awesome riff writer. I was lucky enough to see them on their last tour in Haarlem. Although not with the original vocalist (the vocalist who replaced him is in The End I think) it still was an awesome gig.

But I really suggest giving Ion Dissonance a(n other) try if you're into TheDEP. The albums Solace and ...Breathing is irrelevant are their best works. But the song Kneel from the album Minus the Herd is packed with a punch or two aswell. Really looking forward to their new release this July.

I heard the latest Ihsahn now and... if only he could've maintained such a jawdropping level of awesomeness as on the second track (A Grave Inversed). There's a couple of nice moments on there, but most of the album is dwarved by that maddening track towering over it.
    By far my most favorite song of the album. End of story.

I'm very familiar with Altar of Plagues, unfortunately I haven't seen 'em live yet (managed to miss 'em every time so far and couldn't afford Roadburn), but I very much enjoyed both their last releases. It's amusing to think they released their latest as an 'ep', despite its length.
    Indeed, Tides isn't really an EP length wise (35+ minutes, lol). Funny you bring up Roadburn, I've been there the last 4 editions. And the performance of AoP at this year edition was awesome. Unfortunately I missed them when they performed with Year of No Light a few days earlier/after (not sure) since I've heard that was an awesome gig aswell. Speaking of Year of No Light, Ausserwelt (last album) has been playing in my iTunes a lot the last couple of weeks. But Nord is very interesting too.

Celeste, an other band pretty similar to AoP (and YoNL to a lesser extent). Their last album Morte(s) Nee(s) was/is available for free on their website and is pretty good.

And Twilight (US) (vampires?) released an album not to long ago. Monument To Time End it's called. If you are familiar with their first album (titled Twilight), Monument To Time End is 10.000 times better. They collaborated with Aaron Turner (big fan of his work; Isis, Old man Gloom, Greymachine). Again, see if you can pick it up. Really worth giving it a go in my opinion.

Amen Ra I did get to see a few times and they're even more impressive live than on album. Both Mass III and Mass IIII are great. Not a major fan of older work, it's a bit too straight forward/too hardcore-ish still. Not bad, mind you, just not nearly as intense. I actually liked their EP too, though I generally don't finish the reversed track.
    I've seen them live once (think it was on Roadburn 2 years ago) and they blew me away. Since then, I've been listening to them a lot. Not really familiar with their earlier work though.

Seeing you're from the Netherlands aswell (if I'm correct, since your band is from Nijmegen :P) I wouldn't be surprised if we've visited a couple of the same gigs.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ragorna
    Concerning The Ocean, Aeolian and Fluxion are the ones I keep returning to, although I haven't paid much attention to their other work. I gave their latest work (Heliocentric) a go once or twice, and the new vocalist is doing an alright job as far as I can judge after so few listens. Certainly gonna check out their second release of this year (the name slipped my mind).
    Do try the one in between - Precambrian is still their best effort so far, though in all honesty, I haven't given Heliocentric a big enough chance yet. It's not like it's music that'll stick to one instantly.

TheDEP never, but I mean NEVER, got to the level of Calculating Infinity as far as I'm concerned. That stuff was just a master piece. 43% Burnt is just awesome. The first line (not suitable for these forums) of the text is shouted with so much passion and anger. Miss Machine was alright (first time with the new vocalist I think?), didn't really pay much attention to them after that. Until their latest album. Again, an album I haven't listened to more than twice. Not because I didn't like it (at a first glance there are a few nice songs on it) but simply because I've got so much other things to listen to.
    Disagree. Their EP with Mike Patton is better than Calculating Infinity, in part because I am just not a huge fan of their old vocalist. Irony is a Dead Scene is awesome. I agree about Miss Machine though. Same with Ire Works. I am quite taken with their new album as it goes back a bit more to the Irony... sound. Live they're still incredibly good. They're responsible for some of the best gigs I've seen.

Probably a band you already know: Burnt by the Sun. F-ing awesome. All their releases are very strong in their own way. John Adubato is an awesome riff writer. I was lucky enough to see them on their last tour in Haarlem. Although not with the original vocalist (the vocalist who replaced him is in The End I think) it still was an awesome gig.
    Got the latest lying about somewhere. It's pretty good, but not entirely my cup-o-coffee. I'd sooner pick up Born From Pain if I want to go for something a bit more metalcore than usual or something like one a myriad of Witte's other bands for fun. East West Blast Test is, well, a blast. (Get the first CD, not the second.)

But I really suggest giving Ion Dissonance a(n other) try if you're into TheDEP. The albums Solace and ...Breathing is irrelevant are their best works. But the song Kneel from the album Minus the Herd is packed with a punch or two aswell. Really looking forward to their new release this July. By far my most favorite song of the album. End of story.
    I'll give it a go.

Indeed, Tides isn't really an EP length wise (35+ minutes, lol). Funny you bring up Roadburn, I've been there the last 4 editions. And the performance of AoP at this year edition was awesome. Unfortunately I missed them when they performed with Year of No Light a few days earlier/after (not sure) since I've heard that was an awesome gig aswell. Speaking of Year of No Light, Ausserwelt (last album) has been playing in my iTunes a lot the last couple of weeks. But Nord is very interesting too.
    I've seen them live once (think it was on Roadburn 2 years ago) and they blew me away. Since then, I've been listening to them a lot. Not really familiar with their earlier work though.
    Didn't manage to get tickets two years ago. Did go last year, but couldn't afford tickets this year. A shame, would've loved to see AoP and (especially) Triptykon.

Seeing you're from the Netherlands aswell (if I'm correct, since your band is from Nijmegen :P) I wouldn't be surprised if we've visited a couple of the same gigs.
    Ye, I am. Probably why I can't stand Textures - overkill ;p
    Did ya have a listen btw?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Meshuggah is, hands down, the worst metal band I've ever seen live and I've seen a bunch.

I haven't listened to ABRB in a while, and I'm pretty positive I got a full-fledged hardon when I listened to this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RQY3ZYn0CU

Do try the one in between - Precambrian is still their best effort so far, though in all honesty, I haven't given Heliocentric a big enough chance yet. It's not like it's music that'll stick to one instantly.
    Think my brother has it somewhere, so I definitely will.

Disagree. Their EP with Mike Patton is better than Calculating Infinity, in part because I am just not a huge fan of their old vocalist. Irony is a Dead Scene is awesome. I agree about Miss Machine though. Same with Ire Works. I am quite taken with their new album as it goes back a bit more to the Irony... sound. Live they're still incredibly good. They're responsible for some of the best gigs I've seen.
    The Mike Patton EP is from an other world aswell, yes. Irony doesn't seem to stick to me that much for some reason. Might be, because it's been a long time since I last really listened to it. Since the last listen, I've shifted to other genres and back, so I might change my mind on that one.

Didn't manage to get tickets two years ago. Did go last year, but couldn't afford tickets this year. A shame, would've loved to see AoP and (especially) Triptykon.
    My expectations for Triptykon were pretty high. Luckely they came through with it and it was an awesome performance. The background animations were pretty creepy. Other highlights of the fest: Russian Circles (beats Pelican since City of Echoes) Jarboe (probably the weirdest women on the planet) and something I didn't expect; Astra (stoner/psychedelic rock a lá Pink Floyd). But so far nothing beats Down's performance 2 (or is it 3 already?) years ago.

Ye, I am. Probably why I can't stand Textures - overkill ;p
    Did ya have a listen btw?
    Haha, yeah might be.
    As for the listen, yes I did actually. And as far as composing concerns (quality is always an issue with Myspace) it really isn't bad. I defiantly hear you guys are trying different things besides the usual Black Metal cliches. And the overdrive used in II. Augmentation sounds really muddy and fat, which (for me) is a really good thing. E-Scapegoat is a nice one too. I absolutely wouldn't mind listening to ya' guys in a live setting. So I'd say; keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkforCalde
    Meshuggah is, hands down, the worst metal band I've ever seen live and I've seen a bunch.
    Really? I always enjoy myself a lot at their shows (5 so far). Jens Kidman probably does the weirdest faces on stage. But that's the joy of music (and everything else really); tastes are different.

10+ Year Old Account

Cheers

You should've seen Jarboe in Little Devil. She's far more amazing in a little crowd, standing right in the throng.
    With Triptykon, it's a pleasure (from watching some youtube clips) to see someone hammering the guitar even harder than Tom. And it's a fit young lady as well o.O

Cheers

You should've seen Jarboe in Little Devil. She's far more amazing in a little crowd, standing right in the throng.
    With Triptykon, it's a pleasure (from watching some youtube clips) to see someone hammering the guitar even harder than Tom. And it's a fit young lady as well o.O
    Hahaha, yeah. I'd probably be to scared to stand closer than 2 feet near her. There were a lot of ladies at Roadburn this year. Jarboe, Trypticon, Thorr's Hammer (although her roars weren't really lady like. More like a man who eats razors for breakfast with a glass of tar on the side. Nonetheless, she was appealing to the eye), Darkspace and probably a few more I forgot.

Speaking of forgetting, Garcia Plays Kyuss, how could I forget that stuff. Man oh man, just... awesomesauce drenched in epic-cider! Made a shot when they were playing Gardenia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4y7tL5HRAQ
    Pro camera work, I know.

10+ Year Old Account

O yea, Just got the new Soulfly, and Exodus cd's

Soulfly: Haven't listened to much of it yet but it has some nasty hooks musicaly. and vocals are more complex this time around ^__^

Exodus: Exhibit b; The human condition :::: Its awesome, I'm a med exodus fan and this cd renews my faith in the recent age of metal. Hard core thrash and some new stuff from them. Is better than Shovel headed kill machine.

Go check them out
    NO OGRES, NO MORE ELVES, NO FURBOLG, NO EMRALD DREAM, NO REHASHED OLD CONTENT, NO DEMON HUNTER!
    Get the point? Give us something NEW for Groms sake!

15+ Year Old Account

Metallica, Tool, Godsmack
    --Everything in between--
    and Disturbed, As I Lay Dying

So basically, anything that comes to Graspop Metal Meeting
    Dawwwwwww

10+ Year Old Account

osnap, Im goin to graspop this year too!

Cant wait man, gonna be EPIC!
    NO OGRES, NO MORE ELVES, NO FURBOLG, NO EMRALD DREAM, NO REHASHED OLD CONTENT, NO DEMON HUNTER!
    Get the point? Give us something NEW for Groms sake!

Sonata Arctica

Orden Ogan

Blind Guardian

Deleted

My taste of music takes me back to age 14. Just got my first own computer with internet (was an decently new one) so I started surfing.
    My music taste there was a supposed taste of regular kidpop/techno, but as I found punk/metal songs all over the net, on sites as Newgrounds, Youtube and some other sites (can't remember which).

Two I think was very important for me at that time was Soilwork - "Soilworker's Song of The Damned" and Godsmack - "I Stand Alone". I clearly remember I Stand Alone from a RuneScape video (c'mon, most of us are RS switchers)

Then I started WoW, and I began getting alot of songs in my folder. Within my first year of WoW (my noob year) I managed to get a whole 64 songs in my folder! (WOW! ALOT OF SONGS!)

When I started PvP on my hunter at the near-end of BC (2.4) I started hearíng heavy metal, starting with all Soilwork albums and a few Megadeth albums.

At the start of Wrath I began hearing most post-rock and punk. Then it started becoming heavier again, and then soft, and then down to techno.

The techno part finally let go, and I began listening to Zebrahead to get ready again. Static-X, Children of Bodom and System of a Down were my favorites after Zebrahead.

Today, I kinda compromised it. I listen to DnB once in a row, but most of my time is consisting of hearing Insomnium, Pillar and Seether.

´
    Pre-teen kid - No taste at all, listened to everything - Sum41, Godsmack, some ghey pop from that time
    2 year later - Punk/Metal - Mostly songs from WoW movies I've seen, too many artists to name
    3 years later - Metal (mostly MeloDeath) - Soilwork, Children of Bodom
    4 years later - Techno - Alot of house and hardcore songs, too many to name. But one of favs are definately Sidekick - "Deep Fear". Also, alot of The Prodigy
    5½ Years later (now) - Mix of both, mostly metal - Insomnium, Celldweller, Hoobastank, Megadeth

TLDR; Soilwork, Children of Bodom and Megadeth

I'll keep to my current taste. Nice to have a ying-yang balance between the tastes.

(Might aswell notify that I spended almost every day of my life infront of the TV playing Playstation/Playstation2 all up until Runescape in 2003)

Whispered - Thousand Swords

A band I found not too long ago and it's fucking epic! They describe themselves as samurai metal! Check the band out if you have ANY interest in metal, samurais or japanese instruments. They have only released one album as of now but I'm sure there's more to come 8). I hope this doesn't seem like shameless advertising but I really like the band and I want them to reach a wider audience, because they deserve it.

Here's couple of other good bands added to the bands I already listed in this thread before:

Samael
    Sabaton

Been into metal for a long time now and my choices vary quite much according to different things, but I have always been a fan of true Melodic Death Metal, and I talk about bands such as Dark Tranquility with the albums Skydancer and The Gallery, At The gates, all albums as epic as each other...and of course In Flames the years 92-99 were the best for this band producing some really great records that will forever be some of my favorite. I am also a fan of Amon Amarth, another melodic death metal band with a Viking theme as well as Ensiferum, who are folk/melodic metal nice stuff to chill out to! Although I still firmly believe the days of true great melodic death metal have gone, which is a great shame.

As well as my melodic death metal collection I'm also liking bands such as Meshuggah, pure genius music here, as well as Gojira, a very nice French metal band combining some aspects of death metal and technical metal but also having very nice harmonies here too.

Of course I am also a fan of some black metal bands, however I understand this is a very unique genre (I am not sure if this is right word it to describe) but there are many bands with much dedicated fans, loyal and less known. But my black metal bands would of course be Dimmu Borgir, more mainstream well known band. There is also Gorgoroth, and behind all the scandals there is very good music, true believers of what their music stands for!

There are many more bands which I fail to mention today, but I have talked enough.

Good day all!

Edit: I am very impressed by the band posted above me! Thanks for introducing me to such it awesome band! I dont believe I would ever have found a band such as this!

Quote Originally Posted by Asri
    Of course I am also a fan of some black metal bands, however I understand this is a very unique genre (I am not sure if this is right word it to describe) but there are many bands with much dedicated fans, loyal and less known. But my black metal bands would of course be Dimmu Borgir, more mainstream well known band. There is also Gorgoroth, and behind all the scandals there is very good music, true believers of what their music stands for!
    You listed two of the most 'popular' BM bands, both of which are basically mainstream by BM standards.
    Also, Dimmu Borgir hardly counts as BM anymore, they're more symphonic metal with anti-christian themed lyrics.

10+ Year Old Account

Don't start that non-sense here.

Give your granny the following test:
    Play her the following in random order:
    Gorgoroth - White Seed
    Marduk - Horncrowned
    Dimmu Borgir - [Anything]
    Keep of Kalessin - Come Damnation

And she'll be fairly sure it's all the same band, even if Dimmu are the only ones using keyboards in that list.

I'm quite certain you didn't get into metal starting off at Suffocation and Dying Fetus either. Dimmu or Cradle are fine bands to lure unsuspecting folk deeper into the archaic course.