Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account

Also, Gorguts announced that the new album will be out this year!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes! Very yes at Acid Bath!

10+ Year Old Account

This year we will have new:

Alcest
    Amon Amarth
    Arcturus
    Arsis
    Black Sabbath
    Cult of Luna
    Cynic
    Dark Tranquillity
    Empyrium
    Equilibrium
    Falkenbach
    Fallujah
    Galar
    Ghost
    Gorguts
    Havok
    Helloween
    Hypocrisy
    Immolation
    Inquisition
    King Diamond
    Malevolent Creation
    Mayhem
    My Dying Bride
    Ne Obliviscaris
    Negură Bunget
    Nightrage
    October Tide
    Omnium Gatherum
    Opeth
    Orphaned Land
    Pain of Salvation
    Possessed
    Satyricon
    Slayer
    Sodom
    Suffocation
    Summoning
    Thyrfing
    Triptykon
    Ulcerate
    Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats
    Vektor
    Voivod
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2013-02-07 at 12:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    And atleast Portal, Rotting Christ, Darkthrone, Witchgrave, Horna, Finntroll.

Awesome album, with one of the best female vocalists I've heard:

Last edited by mmoc2abd8d08e4; 2013-02-07 at 07:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

I got a question for y'all, do you guys enjoy listening to other music genres besides metal? Most metalheads I know say they don't deviate from the metal genre, and if they do, they listen mostly to classic rock which in many cases got them into metal in the first place. Personally the only other genres I listen to are post, experimental, progressive, hard, psychedelic and oldies/classical rock, I find that they complement metal very nicely. Anything else I can barely tolerate .

Here's some post rock for example:

Last edited by hellhamster; 2013-02-09 at 10:20 AM.

Deleted
    Some quality death/doom:

I got a question for y'all, do you guys enjoy listening to other music genres besides metal? Most metalheads I know say they don't deviate from the metal genre, and if they do, they listen mostly to classic rock which in many cases got them into metal in the first place. Personally the only other genres I listen to are post, experimental, progressive, hard, psychedelic and oldies/classical rock, I find that they complement metal very nicely. Anything else I can barely tolerate .
    I'd say 90% of what I listen to is metal. I do like a bunch of prog/hard/stoner/classic rock and folk bands as well as few selected classical piano pieces.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got a question for y'all, do you guys enjoy listening to other music genres besides metal? Most metalheads I know say they don't deviate from the metal genre, and if they do, they listen mostly to classic rock which in many cases got them into metal in the first place. Personally the only other genres I listen to are post, experimental, progressive, hard, psychedelic and oldies/classical rock, I find that they complement metal very nicely. Anything else I can barely tolerate

Those are the metalheads I find tiresome and boring.

Just looking at what I posted on my facebook, it includes
    * Hardcore(Sick of it all, Converge, Strife, Cro-Mags)
    * Psychobilly (Reverend Horton Heat)
    * A Whole Bunch O' Metal
    * Noise (Swans, Jesu, Fantomas)
    * Avantgarde ([something related to] Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Virus, Mr. Bungle)
    * Rap (Cunninglynguists, Aesop Rock)
    * Punk (Bad Religion)
    * Postcore (Pelican, Cult of Luna)
    * Classical (Scriabin, Prokofiev)
    * Minimal (Philip Glass)
    * "Rock" (Atomic Bitch Wax, Boris, Melvins, Shellac, Sonic Youth)
    * Prog (Gentle Giant - been a while actually since I listened to King Crimson)
    * Stoner (Hawkwind)
    * Triphop (Massive Attack, Portishead, Ulver)
    * Industrial (Skinny Puppy, Nine Inch Nails)
    * "Pop" (Tom Waits, Man Man, Neil Young, Ray Charles)
    * "Folk" (Wardruna, Faun)
    * Funk (Larry Graham)

--

Could continue, but reckon this should give you an idea.

Deleted

I barely listen to metal anymore and when I do it is mostly stuff heavily influenced by hardcore punk (metalcore, post-metal, sludge, thrash etc.), but this was true even when I was heavily into anything metal, so I guess I qualify.

I like almost anything that is airy-fairy and ethereal so I listen to loads of post- stuff and shoegaze, I also like tons of non-metal hardcore, many different electronic stuffs (ambient, idm, breakcore, dubstep, etc.), softer alternative rock, sometimes even singer/songwriter stuff. I also like underground political hip-hop as well as experimental hip-hop. So yeah, I listen and used to listen to tons of non-mental.

http://www.last.fm/user/Uldreth that's about it.

Metal is probably one of my least-listened to genres. Going off my lastfm it's folk, indie rock, hip-hop, post-rock and hardcore that compose my "top 5" genres. Love me some good metal when I'm in the mood for it.

Speaking of non-metal, dat new My Bloody Valentine. Best of 2013 so far, even after the initial hype wore off.

Wow. That question made me realize something that I actually find pretty much shocking: I hardly listen to music any more at all. I just don't like it.

I don't like contemporary metal, it alienates me, 90% of this obscure, out-there-stuff in this thread actually reflects that pretty good. Black Metal is just pathetic noise to my ears, and I can't have monotone screaming and cookie monster vocals all the time either - Death Metal sounds nonsensical to me, Metalcore stuff is just too predicatble and too much "teenage angst".

I can't stand anything that reeks of "Postrock" or whatever, too tranquil and gayish. Fucking hate anything that has "indie" or "alternative" on it. Never liked Punkrock, to simplistic and goofy. I hate HipHop with a passion, can't listen to Electronica as a full-fledged form of music, get annoyed by "vintage" and "classic" stuff because it's too archaic.

I do listen to some selected Metal bands here and there, but it's just a handful. I think I bought 2 CDs in 2012. I love Opeth, Kamelot and Symphony X. I like a lot of classical music, particularly Tschaikowski at the moment. Also like classical guitar pieces, some Ethnic Jazz. But that's kinda it. Maybe it's because I chose a musical career myself. Perhaps you kind of stop listening to music when you have to write it all day. Still disappointing in a way ...

I just listen to what I want to listen to, with no apologies to anyone for it. If it sounds good to me I listen to it.

Alcest
    Amon Amarth
    Arcturus
    Arsis
    Black Sabbath
    Cult of Luna
    Cynic
    Dark Tranquillity
    Empyrium
    Equilibrium
    Falkenbach
    Fallujah
    Galar
    Ghost
    Gorguts
    Havok
    Helloween
    Hypocrisy
    Immolation
    Inquisition
    King Diamond
    Malevolent Creation
    Mayhem
    My Dying Bride
    Ne Obliviscaris
    Negură Bunget
    Nightrage
    October Tide
    Omnium Gatherum
    Opeth
    Orphaned Land
    Pain of Salvation
    Possessed
    Satyricon
    Slayer
    Sodom
    Suffocation
    Summoning
    Thyrfing
    Triptykon
    Ulcerate
    Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats
    Vektor
    Voivod
    Add Megadeth to that list, which is definitely the album I'm the most pumped for this year.

Deleted
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaghghhghgghhhh!

Edit: Been listening to Darkthrones Circle the Wagons again a lot the past few days. Very addicting stuff.
    Last edited by mmoc2abd8d08e4; 2013-02-14 at 08:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Relevant:

---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 06:27 PM ----------

Dutch Black Metal:

The only metal (basically) I listen to these days is Melodeath and Folkmetal/Symphonic, which is ironic, since I never liked them when I was an actual metalhead.

Nowadays is the only actual metal I like to listen daily, specially Old In Flames and the like. I think that's like 60-70% or so of what I listen to...
    Besides metal, I like listening to a variety of genres, but mostly Classic, Folk music and instrumentals. Sometimes I listen to some cheesy old songs things by Sting, Toto, Madonna, Simply Red, maybe even The Kelly Family, Misfits, Warrant, Guns n Roses.... I like the nostalgia those give to me. Also, music from games like Skyrim and WoW for nostalgia, and because they have amazing songs.

I really appreciate good piano pieces, as well as Military marches.

Things I can't stand are the usual ''yo nigga Bling Blang Imma bust yo ass'' rap, Justin Bieber, ''hipster'' and the like...

Here are some of the things I like to listen when I'm not listening to metal

(very good Norwegian folk)

Other songs

(if you're at least 20 and from Yurop, you HAVE to know this one)

Not sure how to label this next one

The only Drum and bass I like

Example of Military Marches

phew, that's it for now...

Deleted
    Harald Foss is really good I agree.

Also Portal is releasing their new album Vexovoid today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if Vektor were posted here already, but have some. This is for all those metalheads moaning that thrash died in the 90's. Incidentally they have a new album coming out this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    They have been mentioned yea. Not sure, but might even have posted them myself.