What are you guys top 10 this year?
- Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I (progressive/extreme)
- Dordeduh - Dar De Duh (atmospheric/pagan black)
- Finsterforst - Rastlos (viking/folk)
- Beyond the Bridge - The Old Man And The Spirit (progressive)
- Be'lakor - Of Breath and Bone (melodic death)
- Kälter - Ubuntu (progressive/melodic death)
- Lunar Aurora - Hoagascht (black/atmospheric)
- Enslaved - RIITIIR (progressive extreme)
- Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind (metalcore)
- Wilderun - Olden Tales & Deathly Trails (folk)
Additionally, my top 5 of rock:
- Swans - The Seer (experimental/ambient)
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! (post/ambient)
- Om - Advaitic Songs (psychedelic/drone)
- Eclipse - Bleed & Scream (hard rock/AOR)
- Anathema - Weather Systems (post/alternative)
Last edited by hellhamster; 2012-12-28 at 11:32 AM.
this is good, HORSE the band are amazing, best band I've ever seen live, pure entertainment.
These guys paid $65k to tour the world, they made $68K. thats 3k, split 6 ways hahahaha, $500 for like a years work, still they had fun and saw the world.
Im reading back some pages and thinking i'll not post what i like, it seems this thread is for more unknown black/dark/death metal bands, and I'm more into Parkway Drive and The Ghost Inside etc.
Yay, more folk metal!
also @hellhamster thanks for posting that list, I'd never heard of Wilderun before, but it is awesome.
Last edited by Ciddy; 2012-12-30 at 04:28 AM.
Still cant post.
Wintersun-beyond the dark sun.
Hibria - Millenium Quest
Dark Moor - Before The Duel
Manowar- brothers of metal.
but then of course my favorite: Pantera - ANYTHING by them.
\m/\m/ stay metal brothers!!
I just found out about these guys and for some reason they are giving away their new album to everyone here :
I'd describe it as Tech-Deathcore, they jokingly call themselves aliencore
My list of the year. Funnily enough, not all albums are released this year, but it's not like I'd care.
1) Amebix - Sonic Mass (2011)
2) Swans - The Seer
3) Deathspell Omega - Drought (EP)
4) Blut Aus Nord - 777 Trilogy (last CD released this year)
5) Lunar Aurora - Hoagascht
6) Sigh - In Somniphobia
7) Hexvessel - No Holier Temple
8) Killing Joke -MMXII
9) Lugubrum - Face Lion Face Oignon (LP 2011, CD 2012)
10) Dodecahedron - S/T
Honorable mentions: Alkerdeel - Morinde and Amenra - Mass V
Could easily continue as Mgla, Marduk, Dordeduh, Converge, Trollfest and a bunch of others all released great album as well. Still haven't heard the new Manii, which could easily be added as well if it turns out any good.
Last edited by Duilliath; 2012-12-30 at 01:40 PM.
Unfortunately, it exists.
Waiting for Dragonball Metal, GI Joe Metal and Stamp Collector Metal now.
I agree with you about all the crazy sub genres though...I'm kinda getting tired of seeing long-ass debates (that usually get pretty ugly and juvenile) in metal videos on YouTube about how to classify the song.
"Nice folk metal!" "You must be deaf, if you had a brain you'd realize this is clearly pirate metal." "That's not pirate metal you retard, it's viking metal."
I've seen some with pages and pages of stuff like this, religious debates, and all kinds of other bullshit to the point where I don't bother reading comments anymore. Who cares, it's metal. Just shut up and enjoy the music.
---------- Post added 2012-12-30 at 08:30 PM ----------
Also, here is my "top 10" list. Albums with a favorite song from each, and I'm just going by what I listened to the most in 2012...these weren't all necessarily released in 2012. I'm a really big Nightwish fan though...I'd say I spent more time listening to them than anything else on the list. Wanted to go see them when they came to Atlanta, but I had to miss it. :|
1. Nightwish - Imaginaerum (I Want My Tears Back)
2. Arch Enemy - Khaos Legions (Yesterday Is Dead and Gone)
3. Dark Tranquillity - We Are the Void (The Fatalist)
4. Debauchery - Germany's Next Death Metal (Warmachines At War)
5. Nordheim - Lost in the North (Beer, Metal, Trolls, and Vomit)
6. Warbringer - Worlds Torn Asunder (Living Weapon)
7. Korpiklaani - Ukon Wacka (Tequila)
8. Xandria - Neverworld's End (Valentine)
9. Alestorm - Back Through Time (Rum)
10. Three Inches of Blood - Here Waits Thy Doom (Battles & Brotherhood)
Last edited by Ciddy; 2012-12-30 at 07:08 PM.
Another band I'm amazed I never checked out before now
Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Swan Saivo
From their upcoming new album, released in February 2013.
As for my top 10 or so albums of 2012:
1) Sabaton - Carolus Rex (Swedish CD especially)
2) Mokoma - 180 Astetta
3) Vision Divine - Destination Set to Nowhere
4) Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name
5) Oddland - Treachery of Senses
6) Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes
7) Dragonforce - Power Within
8) Nile - At the Gates of Sethu
9) Machinae Supremacy - The Rise of the Digital Nation
10)Cradle of Filth - The Manticore and Other Horrors
2012 was a filler as for metal albums released, nothing especially great was released (only Sabaton's newest and Mokoma are ones I truly like). Rest on list are mostly albums I just had to list to fill 10 albums. Nothing compared to years 2011 or 2010. We shall see what 2013 brings. There are several albums I'm already waiting for, Serenity's (Austria) new album and Stratovarius' new album, and that Eternal Tears of Sorrow I might buy also.. And Wintersun's Time II, haven't bought the first part yet, I'm saving it for Time II to come out. Also new CMX but that isn't exactly metal, more like post-rock or something.
Last edited by dragothica; 2013-01-01 at 11:21 AM.
Happy new year!
It already sounds way better than AEALO.
Last edited by hellhamster; 2013-01-01 at 12:29 PM.
Probably one of the most underrated thrash bands/albums:
Random pick of the week:
edit: switched to better quality
Last edited by Bluewhale; 2013-01-04 at 09:22 PM.
So new Cult of Luna is out (Vertikal), anyone listened to it yet? I'll just say the best atmospheric sludge record of 2013 is already decided . It's easily just as good as Salvation and Somewhere Along the Highway, which are basically 2 of the most important releases in that genre of all time.
Last edited by hellhamster; 2013-01-05 at 09:29 PM.