Thread: [Music] Metal

Deleted

Anyone got recommendations of albums that sound like Unlock the Shrine from The Ruins of Beverast? Been trying to look for similar stuff the past few days but with little luck.

New single with A day to remember.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluewhale View Post
    Anyone got recommendations of albums that sound like Unlock the Shrine from The Ruins of Beverast? Been trying to look for similar stuff the past few days but with little luck.
    The only band that sounds like The Ruins of Beverast is The Ruins of Beverast. I take it you are requesting bands with a heavy "germanic/US atmospheric black metal" sound? I scrambled some stuff sounding like that, you may know some of them if you follow von Meilenwald's work. I post some youtube links but it is necessary to listen to whole albums instead of some songs.

Nagelfar

Verdunkeln

Lunar Aurora

Darkspace

Urfaust

Paysage d'Hiver

Lurker of Chalice

Kermania

Xasthur

Leviathan

Weakling

Can go on but I'm afraid I'll deviate by much from what you want. Those I posted are some of the biggest players in atmospheric bm, which is the main genre of Unlock the Shrine.

edit: Holy shit, new Paysage d'Hiver is out:

Last edited by hellhamster; 2013-02-27 at 06:53 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    The only band that sounds like The Ruins of Beverast is The Ruins of Beverast. I take it you are requesting bands with a heavy "germanic/US atmospheric black metal" sound? I scrambled some stuff sounding like that, you may know some of them if you follow von Meilenwald's work. I post some youtube links but it is necessary to listen to whole albums instead of some songs.

Can go on but I'm afraid I'll deviate by much from what you want. Those I posted are some of the biggest players in atmospheric bm, which is the main genre of Unlock the Shrine.
    From what I've gathered I think you're right with them having an unique style. That goes to their newer albums as well.

What I'm looking for more specifically is the claustrophobic, schizophrenic even, feeling that Unlock the Shrine captures really well. Black metal in particular is a genre in which I'm nowadays finding it neccessary to listen to full albums instead of just songs.

Thanks for the recs, atleast Verdunkeln, Kermania and Weakling are artists I haven't looked into yet.

Edit: here's something for people that like Mgla:

and Ygg, very much recommended:

Last edited by mmoc2abd8d08e4; 2013-02-27 at 07:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Now I'm usually not into Gothenburg styled melodeath (too much cheese I guess) with some very few exceptions. I generally avoid bands sounding like modern Soilwork and modern In Flames like the plague, but I was told by a friend who is heavily into melodeath that the new Soilwork double CD is Sweet Tapdancing Christ magnificent, an absolute masterpiece and a celebration to the genre. According to him this is the band's best record, everything is done perfectly, heaviness, catchy riffs and choruses, melody, sooooooo that got me intrigued. After having listened to it I have no choice but having to concur.

On the new-shit-to-listen-to list I still got: Fanisk, Suffocation, Nails, Light Bearer, Rotting Christ, Saxon, Manilla Road, Portal, The Fall of Every Season, Vreid, Fen, Darkthrone waiting for me. So far this year is excellent so I'm expecting greatness from all of them.
    I haven't liked Soilwork since Stabbing The Drama, that song is indeed very awesome!

To contribute to the thread, here's the semi new death metal band "Beyond Creation" with their first music video: Omniprecent Perception.

I really like their progressive sound.

Deleted
    Oh yeah, forgot to add this, pretty sure it wasn't posted last year. Blackened death metal from Canada:

Last edited by mmoc2abd8d08e4; 2013-03-01 at 12:13 AM.

Can we limit the embedded videos to 1-3 per post? Not anything too big, but with a slow internet connection or crappy computer the page hangs for quite a while until everything's loaded when there's too many videos.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MC ALPACA FLAYME View Post
    Can we limit the embedded videos to 1-3 per post? Not anything too big, but with a slow internet connection or crappy computer the page hangs for quite a while until everything's loaded when there's too many videos.
    I'm pretty sure we did that at some point, but then people forgot

Anyway, good idea but I hope people still post urls if they have more stuff to add per post.

Deleted
    Although they've changed quite a lot since Count Your Blessings, I'm really, really enjoying Bring Me The Horizon's new album, Sempiternal.

http://www.sempiternal.info

New up and coming thrash

10+ Year Old Account
    Time to go old school.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AcrobaticMegalodon View Post

To contribute to the thread, here's the semi new death metal band "Beyond Creation" with their first music video: Omniprecent Perception.

I really like their progressive sound.
    I seriously love the shit out of Lapointe and his fretless bass, his performance in Augury (another very good canadian tech/progressive death metal band) is also exemplary.

10+ Year Old Account

Yep, 11 hours. Available in 6.66 GB USB format by Earache. "Hey Tommy what are you doing this weekend?" "Oh I donno, probably gonna listen to some drone".

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    *posted Be'lakor vid*
    What an absurdly solid album that is.

Listening to a lot of Bandcamp these days:

Delirium's Order
    Atropos Project
    Botanist
    Sauroctonos

10+ Year Old Account
    Posting Das Tor again, but really this is easily the greatest black metal album I've heard in years.

10+ Year Old Account

I know there's some Intronaut fans here, so I'm posting something from their new album which by the way is great! Progressive/sludge metal at its finest.

Dem drums...

The album cover/general artwork is also insanely good.

Last edited by hellhamster; 2013-03-16 at 06:59 PM.

Deleted
    So I picked up Soilwork's The Living Infinite double album over the weekend.

I can definately recommend it, real awesome melodeath.
    I must say I enjoyed a little revisiting of the genre, since In Flames and indeed Soilwork themselves went on a little more alternative route in their last few albums.
    Great stuff, go get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not me.

And only reason I'd consider listening to Soilwork would be Dirk's drumwork. He's rapidly turning into one of my favourite drummers.