Thread: [Music] Metal

Lately I have been listening to old Suffocation records when opportunity presents itself. I feel like have a lot more appreciation for their post-Forgotten work now than in the past. Even if perhaps they were never quite so furious or progressive on subsequent releases. It's been a lot of fun all the same though.

10+ Year Old Account

I can't even handle these riffs right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    I really enjoyed it when I saw them live. They were also actually pretty good that evening, since they're usually known for being rather mediocre in sound quality live.
    Last I saw them was after Leviathan, I think. So, it's been a while. Back then they were an absolute force, will see how it goes nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I can't even handle these riffs right now.
    Booh! I was going to post that!

and so you bloody should

wouldn't mind a few mates who listened to black metal/death metal
    Last edited by Othraerir; 2015-02-21 at 01:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The new The Agonist album is amazing by the way!

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalira View Post
    The new The Agonist album is amazing by the way!
    Wow...that's some good stuff actually. Going to have to pick it up now.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account

I never expected anything this good, but the new A Forest of Stars album is literally god tier. 2015 has been absolutely incredible so far, Elder, Melechesh, Napalm Death, Misþyrming, Desolate Shrine, and to a somewhat lesser extent Thou & The Body and An Autumn for Crippled Children all released some pretty great stuff.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-02-27 at 11:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one getting Lurker of Chalice vibes from this?

Also some more greats:

Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-02-28 at 07:20 PM.

Sorta torn on the new A Forest of Star, It's good and catchy but something about "Drawing Down The Rain" keeps me a bit at a distance. It seems "fake" in a way- like its music that is too calculated but not in like a good way. Maybe contrived is what I am reaching for here- but either criticisms betrays the fact that I find their new songs to be rather compelling and highly listenable.

Also, one of the members of this site sent me a recording of their band. I am terrible with names and such- but it was fucking excellent. The vocal performance was a little weak and I felt a punchier mix would have helped the song a lot. Though the musicality was great, performances solid and the arrangements were wonderful. Very sorry I did not reply sooner I have no excuse other than general "busy life/no good time" etc. Though yes, highly enjoyable music.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really "metal", but I've been listening to a lot of Swans lately. I went and saw them live (for the second time) a couple weeks ago and they were great as always.

I loved TOOL in high school, but kind of lost track of them in the last 10 years or so. Mostly because I got more interested in doom and black metal, as well as classic progressive rock. Their lack of a new release in almost 10 years probably helped them to fall off my radar as well. I've been revisiting their music again and they still do not cease to amaze. Not even close to heavy in comparison to the metal I normally indulge in, but truly a great, great band. Much more in line with my progressive tastes. I hadn't listened to them in at least 10 years, but I still remember the lyrics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    In love with Baroness after a recommendation from a friend.

The guitar is awesome in this. Any similar recommendations?
    Maybe Kylesa, ISIS, earlier Pelican.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even tho Swans is not technically metal they still influenced a lot of metal bands.
    Definitely. It's very easy to hear the influence in bands like Godflesh and Neurosis.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing these guys on March 22nd. Super excited:

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Also, one of the members of this site sent me a recording of their band. I am terrible with names and such- but it was fucking excellent. The vocal performance was a little weak and I felt a punchier mix would have helped the song a lot. Though the musicality was great, performances solid and the arrangements were wonderful. Very sorry I did not reply sooner I have no excuse other than general "busy life/no good time" etc. Though yes, highly enjoyable music.
    Yay. Nice to hear such positive feedback

Would people be interested in hearing another track?

10+ Year Old Account
    I recently came across some new bands I discovered kind of by accident too and I think they're awesome.

- "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh wow they're streaming it already?
    I managed to get halfway through the second track before giving up on it [The new Enslaved].

Of course.
    Trying to figure out which track to do next. Maybe the completely psychotic / retarded one rather than some of the other more drawn out songs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Halfway through the 2nd track. The one you're advising is the third track apparently.

I just find it very formulaic. Same reason I lost interest in Vertebrae, which I initially thought was a great album.

Think I'll stick to the older stuff like Frost, Eld or Blodhemn.

I thought that new Enslaved was kinda awful, tbh.