Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    So we just did a really rough and loose, off the cuff, pre-prod for one of the new songs. Man, I'm fookin' hyped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    PS: I personally enjoyed the Abbath album.
    Same, I thought it was fun, especially with all the cheese.

10+ Year Old Account
    get hype

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Helloween are about to take the stage and I am quivering with excitement.

"To live my life and to be FFRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE~!"
    My room mate saw them last weekend and said they were fantastic. I love their first three albums, but don't care much for their post Seven Keys work. Walls if Jericho is their greatest album in my opinion. I also couldn't afford to travel to Montreal so I sat that show out.

Andy in April. Rhapsody (Luca Turilli) and Primal Fear in May. Sleep and Windhand in June. Can't remember if I posted about that yet.
    Last edited by thewallofsleep; 2016-03-08 at 06:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    PS: I personally enjoyed the Abbath album.
    Abbath is just so generic and blegh these days.

I feel like BM has become the stalest subgenre.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too bad that since Kiske left the band it is quite horrible unfortunately. I really do not like that new singer's vocals.
    Andi Deris has been in Helliween since 1993. He certainly isn't "new". I also dislike his voice though. Kiske is overrated in my opinion. His range is great, but he's lacking in power and control. Different styles, but Hansi Kursch and Ralf Scheepers destroy Kiske.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post

Only if you follow the best marketed releases and are too afraid to delve a few meters deeper =)

Last edited by hellhamster; 2016-03-08 at 07:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thewallofsleep View Post
    Andi Deris has been in Helliween since 1993. He certainly isn't "new". I also dislike his voice though. Kiske is overrated in my opinion. His range is great, but he's lacking in power and control. Different styles, but Hansi Kursch and Ralf Scheepers destroy Kiske.
    I know he is not new but I will always consider him new. I have been a Helloween fan from before 1993 since walls of jericho in fact. It's a matter of perception. Kiske might be overrated but his vocals are definitely better than Andi Deris. Hansi vs Kiske is not even a debate, but I don't know do I agree on Scheepers. Guess it's a matter of opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post

Well if you want more experimental black then there is a lot of choice out there to be honest. Abbath is indeed very mainstream but so was Immortal.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2016-03-08 at 07:39 PM.

Deleted
    Out of the new Killwitch Engage tracks only Alone I stand has hit the right heights for me.

Still have to hear the full release to make my mind up.

Just as soon as my thrash phase began, it has ended. Back to BM, just in time for new Moonsorrow

You ever check out Lantlos? To me they are on a whole different level than other post-black like Altar of Plagues, Deafheaven, etc.

Also yeah BM is far from the most boring metal genre. Seems like every month there is a new great release pushing the boundaries of the genre. There are also about 200 shit BM releases a month though

Roads to Judah slays, I'd put it behind Sunbather though but definitely above New Bermuda.

Liturgy is definitely a strange one. I respect what they are doing, it's very different. I just find it to be very meh. Not terrible by any means, which is what many seem to think about them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know he is not new but I will always consider him new. I have been a Helloween fan from before 1993 since walls of jericho in fact. It's a matter of perception. Kiske might be overrated but his vocals are definitely better than Andi Deris. Hansi vs Kiske is not even a debate, but I don't know do I agree on Scheepers. Guess it's a matter of opinion.
    Without question, Kiske is better than Deris. He has a wonderful voice. I just feel that his melodic and soaring style grant him a reputation which isn't really deserved. Kiske may have a melodically better voice than Scheepers, but Scheepers has a far better sense of control and really projects with power. I don't hear many vocalists who can match the power of Ralf's high register scream outside of the all time greats.
    Last edited by thewallofsleep; 2016-03-09 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Not all of their stuff is good, their latest album is terrible, for example, but I feel like people mostly just give them shit because HHH is such an idiot. Songs like the one I linked are just great though, imo. Really wild and unique stuff.
    Yeah Ark Work is hot garbage. Their other stuff is at least passable though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some great prog for a change

- - - Updated - - -

And some 10/10 classic thrash, been meaning to check their latest out asap.

I'm going through their whole discog right now, never given them a chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    I'm going through their whole discog right now, never given them a chance.
    Killswitch Engage are my guilty pleasure, honestly the only great melodic metalcore band I know.

I'm not really a metalcore kind of guy. All That Remains first 3 albums are good, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    New Obscura is pretty good, it's technically proficient and contains great musicianship and ideas, but it's really sterile and emotionless for me, like I'm listening to modern pop, unlike some other great tech death that came out recently. It's really a genre fault than anything else I guess, there's really nothing wrong with the band or their latest output.

Ad Nauseam is tech death fire in comparison (which was also my metal aoty last year).
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2016-03-11 at 07:54 PM.