Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    How about my favorite band ever live?

Anyway, you have put the erm, fire in me to listen to some Bolt Thrower. It has been a while since I have done so!

Edit: I should probably mention WHY EdGuy was my favorite show ever... The energy on stage, along with the charisma of Tobias is just so infectious and amazing, that seriously, I would love to see them again. Still, out of 300+ shows, and quite a few after seeing them live, they are the band I remember the most.

---------- Post added 2011-12-16 at 01:30 AM ----------

Well! I just found that there is a free 5 track download from Immolation out there...

Immolation - Providence

I hope you all enjoy it
    Last edited by Idrinkwhiterussians; 2011-12-15 at 04:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    Take Ageless Venomous for example... if that growl at the end with the guitars and drum doesn't sound like a tank destroying something i don't know what does then...
    Prime example of how they love to blast, yes. Sure, he doesn't do so for the entire 4min30ish sec of the song, but that's still Krisiun going at it at top pace for the majority of the song. Saw them live a couple years ago and it was just boring as hell because of the fact that they just play on relentlessly at pretty much max speed. They've gotten better at it over the years (as in, more dynamics), but even so they will never be a mid-paced heavy as fuck band.

Heavy doesn't equate speed to some. That's where part of the disconnect is coming from.

Turn up the volume for the next one:

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Prime example of how they love to blast, yes. Sure, he doesn't do so for the entire 4min30ish sec of the song, but that's still Krisiun going at it at top pace for the majority of the song. Saw them live a couple years ago and it was just boring as hell because of the fact that they just play on relentlessly at pretty much max speed. They've gotten better at it over the years (as in, more dynamics), but even so they will never be a mid-paced heavy as fuck band.
    yes but i never said speed=heavy.

I'm not sure why you don't think their songs are heavy... Just because something is slow paced doesn't mean it's heavy.

I'm not sure i understand where you're trying to go...

anyway those songs are really awesome as well, Bolt Thrower is a really good band, just like Krisiun, IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you did not. Others did. However, you did manage to ignore someone explaining what they meant with 'heavy', namely doomy/low frequency stuff (which appears to be a more common perception, seeing how others expressed a similar opinion some pages ago). That Krisiun song you mentioned has, for the most part, exactly nothing of those two qualities. That's what I meant earlier with "there's a disconnect in meaning". What you consider heavy is not the same as what someone else considers heavy. To me, personally, heavy has exceedingly little to do with the pace of the song. Until there's actually consensus on the definition of 'heavy', such discussions are an exercise in futility.

That said, I think Krisiun are great for one or two songs, but any more than that and I get bored. For some reason it just sounds 'same-ish'. With some bands I don't mind, with others I do.

As an example:

Dynamics is a lesson that the above band learnt recently. As a result, the album Orthodoxyn has way more impact than previous efforts. This song in particular demonstrates the concept of 'heavy' quite well until it explodes into a much speedier part. There's a few other such songs that I was hoping to use to illustrate my point, but the quality of some clips on Youtube of this isn't to my liking.

---------- Post added 2011-12-15 at 09:05 PM ----------

Now for something different. People who like their Limbonic Art might enjoy this one.

I love everything about this album. Certainly up there for essential doom albums, imo.

---------- Post added 2011-12-15 at 03:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Now for something different. People who like their Limbonic Art might enjoy this one.
    I do quite enjoy Limbonic Art but have not heard of that band. Thanks for sharing.

it's heathen !
    I fucking love you! Come receive your love !
    Heh. Victims of Deception is my favorite thrash disc, and since your description matched it pretty well, thought they might be the one.

As for the heaviness discussion, slow does not automatically equal heavy, and a song sure as hell can't be excluding from being heavy simply cause it's fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Heh. Victims of Deception is my favorite thrash disc, and since your description matched it pretty well, thought they might be the one.

As for the heaviness discussion, slow does not automatically equal heavy, and a song sure as hell can't be excluding from being heavy simply cause it's fast.
    1st part : haha that is cool, i remenber my sister used to listen to a lot of heathen, i always enjoyed but never got too much into them... Will check them out more now ^^

and for the 2nd part: that is my opinion as well. I can't understand what's with the ''slow paced'' considered heavy and fast being not.

10+ Year Old Account
    that is my opinion as well. I can't understand what's with the ''slow paced'' considered heavy and fast being not.
    Well, big heavy things usually move quite slow...

But, lets compare a few songs which I consider heavy.

Look! They even have steel I-beams in the video...

and for the next..

Now for a classic.

Hmmm... It is a bit tough to find a song that is slow throughout. I just cant think of many off the top of my head. I do think of this when I think of heavy though (just wait for it if you don't know the song- and if you don't yet, I feel sorry for you):

Cant post videos but amon amarth Vallhalla awaits now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    Well, big heavy things usually move quite slow...
    lots of songs, let me take the time to listen to them and i'll get back to ya...

Dethklok, Necrophagist, Protest the Hero, Lamb of God, Between the Buried and Me

Here we go:

My Dying Bride
    Opteh
    Emperor
    Dimmu Borgir
    Tristania
    Old Moonspell
    Saturnus
    Katatonia

Edited for Ace of Base

Music starts around 2 minutes in. I fucking wish I can see Isis live really, really badly. Love how the crowd is completely mesmerized. Everybody's got their eyes closed and letting themselves absorb in the wall of sound. Personally, I think that sort of stuff is more powerful than any intense thrashing brought on by the likes of Behemoth or Nile. Fuck yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here are two bands that were amazing when I saw them live, and I hope you might be able to understand why.
    First, EdGuy:

Second, Blind Guardian:

Sorry about the volume on the Blind Guardian, but honestly, you should be listening to it on full blast anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm. Killer live bands...

From just (fairly) recently: Virus, Shining (No), Dillinger Escape Plan.

One of the best gigs I ever saw was Nile back the Dynamo Festival. Seen them a number of times since, but they never got close to that magic moment again.

Deleted

A more black-ified version of Cult of Luna, may I say ? I really like the softer part around 3:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenom View Post
    [video=youtube;mdVZ1-iAvpU]A more black-ified version of Cult of Luna, may I say ? I really like the softer part around 3:20.
    I dunno, I think this qualifies more as Blackgaze than Blackened Post-Metal. Still a great album, though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I dunno, I think this qualifies more as Blackgaze than Blackened Post-Metal. Still a great album, though.
    Well it is actually blackgaze.

10+ Year Old Account
    Opinions on the new Leviathan?

---------- Post added 2011-12-19 at 12:12 AM ----------

Also, "new" Burzum.

This one's an Aske remake.

Loves the Unguided's new album http://grooveshark.com/#/album/Hell+Frost/7266451 melodic death metal at its best (at least for me)