Thread: [Music] Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Uldreth View Post
    Their (Dragonforce) songwriting is very repetetive however.

And the funny thing is I really don't mind repetition (SPELLINGZ?????) at all so when it gets so repetetive it bothers me then you know there is something stinky there.

DF is way too cheesy, self repeating and pointless for my taste. But then again I dislike the vast majority of EU power metal.
    They are really trying on their new album to not be redundant, and they have a new singer now. So when the new album drops in a few weeks you could give them another chance. They are improving.

I would say an essential album is one that showcases its genre(s) very well while being, generally speaking, a good or great album.

If you listen to ISIS - Panopticon, you'll get a pretty good idea about what Post-Metal sounds like. If you listen to Opeth - Blackwater Park, you'll get a good understanding of what Progressive Death can sound like (and folk interludes). If you listen to Underoath - Define the Great Line, you'll get a good idea about what modern Metalcore sounds like.

If you were to listen to one of Neurosis' more experimental albums, !T.O.O.D.! - Pod vladou bice, or SikTh you're not going to get a great understanding of those albums' genres from the standpoint of a "new" listener.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I would say an essential album is one that showcases its genre(s) very well while being, generally speaking, a good or great album.

If you listen to ISIS - Panopticon, you'll get a pretty good idea about what Post-Metal sounds like. If you listen to Opeth - Blackwater Park, you'll get a good understanding of what Progressive Death can sound like (and folk interludes). If you listen to Underoath - Define the Great Line, you'll get a good idea about what modern Metalcore sounds like.

If you were to listen to one of Neurosis' more experimental albums, !T.O.O.D.! - Pod vladou bice, or SikTh you're not going to get a great understanding of those albums' genres from the standpoint of a "new" listener.
    This is all makes perfectly logical sense, and I agree with this, but I just think the real question is who and how would one come to a final conclusion about what deserves to represent its genre?

Deleted
    Lol, this scared me for a second: http://www.metal-archives.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    I just see alot of people with that mentality around the internet, here... youtube... other sites, everywhere really. Its an observation not a conclusion.

............. I hope you're just saying COB is not "Essential" in your opinion and not calling them bad.

If you dislike COB well.... then all of your opinions are officially dead to me
    Not bad. Just boring. And I honestly do not care much if people agree with my opinions. You're more than welcome to have a different one, as is clear you have. Every single album they toned down in extremity and became more bland and accessible. They went for a completely different route than I enjoy and apparently found a fanbase with it. I find their albums and their behaviour appalling, so I won't listen to it.

Similarly, I find Dragonforce to be repetitive. I enjoyed the Helloween-on-speed feel for a tiny bit, but it really feels like most of the songs they have are just a rehash. There's very few bands that stay interesting to me despite being repetitive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post

Similarly, I find Dragonforce to be repetitive. I enjoyed the Helloween-on-speed feel for a tiny bit, but it really feels like most of the songs they have are just a rehash.
    Yeah I agree with this. At first I was like, whoa whoa, power metal that's fast, at least somewhat technical and riff based instead of having that shit boring "epic" wankery?! Gief! But then I realised they have like 3 songs and the rest is those three with absolutely minimal variations with tons of cheese and nonsensical lyrics.

I still think if they started building on what you said as "Helloween-on-speed" but varied songwriting a bit and made it more "serious", it'd be a great power metal band but as they are now, aside from occasional fun listens they just bore me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sidenote, this entirely discussion and back n forth talk demonstrates why an 'essential' metal thread would be exceedingly hard to put together.

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    Lol, this scared me for a second: http://www.metal-archives.com/
    Damn lol I thought the same thing for about a minute, then I clicked it

Really good stuff, only discovered this fairly recently

Edit: I just realized how similar this sounds like the album Symbolic in my opinion, just sort of hit me
    Last edited by Kreyzor; 2012-04-01 at 02:43 PM.

Sidenote, this entirely discussion and back n forth talk demonstrates why an 'essential' metal thread would be exceedingly hard to put together.
    Well I don't think anyone would argue if someone did make an essential metal thread and listed strictly bands that are unanimously classics/pioneers like Black Sabbath, Metallica, Death, and so forth

Except then if it was singling out specific albums then there could be bickering about that like "Why Master of puppets? Why not Ride the lightning?" yadda yadda

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreyzor View Post
    Damn lol I thought the same thing for about a minute, then I clicked it

Really good stuff, only discovered this fairly recently
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeRVtvMv5Qo
    Edit: I just realized how similar this sounds like the album Symbolic in my opinion, just sort of hit me
    just read this comment on youtube:
    The Japanese version of atheist or maybe even cynic. they are pretty damn good
    Atheist or Cynic... lol. I don't which song they heard to come to that conclusion but it's definitely not this one. Overall it's not bad though.

I wouldn't say it's too bad, provided the target audience isn't metalheads. There are highly-critically acclaimed, "introductory" albums that can cover a genre and some subgenres rather nicely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Possibly. But look at the previous one - it went fairly in depth with all the various sub-genres added. And really, who would open such a thread? Most likely it would be a metalhead, in which case they might as well scour this thread.

---------- Post added 2012-04-01 at 07:44 PM ----------

Oh. New Burzum on Youtube

Varg seems hard at work since he got out.

Funeral dooooooooooom:

Deleted
    This one more than fits requirements . Great place for fellow-minded people to come together.

This thread actually kinda shows why I'm not into contemporary metal that much. The escapist, outcast element is much too predominant and a lot of stuff has this obscure, depressing, estranging kind of vibe. Not very fun. Overall a lot of screaming and grunting, very little singing & exciting musicianship.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    and a lot of stuff has this obscure, depressing, estranging kind of vibe. Not very fun.
    Aside from my escapades with hardcore/metalcore (where stuff have an ANGRY vibe) that is exactly what I value in my music and that is what makes it fun for me. Funny how tastes differ.

Quote Originally Posted by Uldreth View Post
    that is exactly what I value in my music and that is what makes it fun for me.
    Which is perfectly OK, Metal has always been a diverse genre. There's some dark and obscure stuff that I like. However, the depressive, outcast, creepy person kind of vibe has become almost synonymous with Metal music. I miss the more positive side of the spectrum a little bit. Stuff one can relate to without being an angsty adolescent or a nutjob.

Deleted
    The new Revenge is kicking my ass. This might be premature but album of the year? Maybe... (obviously for people who enjoy this kind of metal)
    Last edited by mmoc77cd96e260; 2012-04-02 at 08:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Love Lacuna Coil and its sexy lead singer=].
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    I miss the more positive side of the spectrum a little bit.

Alcest - Les Iris
    Alcest - Élévation

This band you might like. They have an upbeat, dreamy and euphoric atmosphere while also being obscure, esoteric and mystical.