Thread: [Music] Metal

Quality Melodeath

The latest Machine Head album is good, real good.

10+ Year Old Account
    No updates from MDF?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    Wovenwar was, as expected, pretty boring,
    Hey hey hey! You watch your words!

10+ Year Old Account

This album never ceases to amaze me. It's downright evil. Really emotive and encompassing stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Has anyone here listened to Indukti before? I'm looking for a similar type of metal to this amazing track, Ninth Wave:

*snip video*

I think it's my favorite metal song by now. The way I explain it is that it so clearly and vividly tells a story, paints a picture. When I listen to this, I see so clearly a tragic battle playing out...so clearly, in fact, that it's become the inspiration for a lot of the battles in my writing.

Stuff like this is what I've been listening to for a few months, mostly from Indukti and Baroness, and it's helped a lot in my writing. I want more. More of this instrumental, detailed, ramping up and down madness. I love it!
    Indukti is one of the reasons for my long instrumental kick. Really awesome bands out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might get lynched for this here but: New Asking Alexandria!

10+ Year Old Account
    New Nile album confirmed for August. I've tried a few times but aside from At the Gates of Sethu I could never really get into their music and it's been a while since I really listened to them but I'm still looking forward to this album.
    I had a listen to George Kollias' solo album. I was curious to see if he'd be a bit more inventive with the drums there. But, alas, it's as much of a drudgery as every single Nile album since he joined. I do not have high hopes for anything Nile releases as long as he is in the band.

10+ Year Old Account
    Regarding the new Nile:

"The focus this time around is on brutally heavy metal riffing and songwriting; kind of like of an 'Annihilation Of The Wicked' approach but very streamlined to achieve maximum destructive impact."

He continues: "Our last record, 'At The Gates Of Sethu', was super surgically clean and very 'musicianship oriented' whereas the new disc is a polar opposite; 'Unearthed' is aimed straight at utter metal heaviness and memorable songwriting.

I really hope they go old school, or at least copy Annihilation of the Wicked. We need good death metal, not good wank metal. But anyway, I'm personally not that uber excited, Nile have always been kinda overrated in my eyes.

- - - Updated - - -

Some 2015 space black metal goodness

Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-05-27 at 12:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I listened to one of the songs off of that album and it didn't really appeal to me. I kinda expected that to be the case tho.

I'd love to see more death metal albums that can appeal to me. Most death metal just bores me. Nile actually have some very interesting elements in their music and their vocalists are pretty good. Karl, I think, has one of the more unique vocal styles in metal, but instrumentally most of their music really just sounds unremarkable to me. A lot happens, but nothing actually happens, which is why like the slightly more simplistic approach of At the Gates of Sethu more than any of their previous records.
    I always felt that Nile's late albums (post-Annihilation) were too much bread and butter, copy paste, straightforward tech death metal. Death metal's musical spectrum is pretty large however, I'm pretty sure you can find stuff that you like.

Try this how-to-death-metal chart, I think it's pretty good in showcasing the genre's essentials despite that it misses some must albums.

http://i.imgur.com/JmnC4LX.jpg
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-05-27 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Nearly every record on that image is a masterpiece or nearly so. All of those records fucking wreck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of death metal, new Abyssal record will be dropping soon.

If you are into truly chaotic and cavernous stuff, this band is one of the greats (although this track sounds a lot more melodious than expected).

https://soundcloud.com/profoundlorer...-and-the-omega
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-05-27 at 02:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I already made my through that chart and a few others from the /mu/ wiki.

However I didn't really like most albums on that chart.
    Bands/albums on there that I like include:
    Septicflesh (their three latest albums, haven't really listened to the rest yet)
    Gorguts (Obscura and Colored Sands, not a huge fan but I have a lot of respect for them)
    Ulcerate (Everything is Fire and Vermis, tho I'm not 100% with both)
    Deicide (only their latest album)
    Cynic (all of their stuff)
    Cryptopsy (only None so Vile, haven't really listened to the rest [yet])
    Abominable Putridity (I like to go back to that one every once in a while)
    Impetuous Ritual (not all that familiar with them but I think they're pretty good)
    Portal (Outre is amazing, Vexovoid not so much, don't really know about the rest)
    Bölzer (love their Aura EP, reviewed Soma)
    In Flames
    Dark Tranquillity the bold ones are bands that I've liked since I was 14 or so, they never get old for me.
    At the Gates
    The Chasm (that album has been in my bookmarks for ages, I just don't get around to listening to it)

Sorry for the hardcore blogging, but I felt the need to clarify every case. But yeah, most of the other albums on that chart just kinda bored me/didn't appeal to me. There are some that might need a few more listens like Disma and Stargazer, but most of that stuff isn't for me, I guess.
    Lol don't worry, we are all hardcore bloggers when it comes to discussing metal . Yeah you definitely seem to be missing out on the more difficult, "traditionalist" death metal sound, like early Immolation, Morbid Angel, Incantation and other OSDM bands. OSDM is an acquired taste and a difficult genre in general to hop into though (it took me about 5-10 years to like personally, now in my early 20s it's probably my favorite metal subgenre).

A recommendation I can throw out is to listen to albums you don't know next to the ones you mentioned in the chart, they are grouped together for that reason.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-05-27 at 03:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, Nile aren't going to beat the first couple albums as long as George is in the band. Particularly not when they look for inspiration towards Annihilation and onwards. They're fucking boring.

It's sad really, because they're one of the bands that actually got me into Death Metal back when Black Seeds was released. Their live set with three dudes bellowing out the vocals was murderous.

As to Cryptopsy, the one below is my favourite. I really prefer Mike to Lord Worm.

- - - Updated - - -

Scrolling down that list, I see a lot of faves. Death, of course, is awesome. Vader - Litany is one of my favourite albums, like, ever. WINGS is as amazing these days as it was back then. Doc was such an incredible drummer.

Alone in the office blasting Rigor Mortis' self-titled record. headbanging like a manic.

Can't wait for the Hateeternal/Deicide and Iron Reagan concerts this weekend.

Live for metal, die for Ghoul! \m/

Oh hell yes! Just got tickets for Deafheaven next month. Rather happy about this turn of events.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I think I like Nile a lot better with Kollias in the band over Derek. Not that I didn't enjoy Derek's work on Black Seeds..., but I feel Kollias is much more propulsive and rhythmically interesting.

I know George has that big ol' stupid kit and whatever. And maybe Nile can have their heads up their own ass sometimes (I guess you can say this of Atheist and Cynic too) which might only sour those more intent on bagging Nile for the kind of technique > songs stuff that more clever bands like Death eschewed. Though, Nile can still wreck when it counts.

I am not discounting the new Nile record yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    George is the only drummer who has managed to pretty much blast me to sleep.

He has an on-off button and that's about how interesting his drumming will be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Loving this so much, relaxed-sounding ambient/synth black metal in the vein of Mare Cognitum, Alrakis, Summoning, Caladan Brood and Progenie Terrestre Pura.

Oh and the new Paradise Lost has apparently leaked, the internet consensus is that it's exceeding all expectations, with the band doing a full 180 and back to their roots.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-05-29 at 10:06 AM.

I listened to the new Paradise Lost last night actually. It's alright. Not blown away or super excited but it was a decent spin.

10+ Year Old Account

Black metal from the Ruins of Beverast guy. Actually one of the very first black metal records I've ever listened to when I was 14 or something. Fuck me did I have impeccable taste even back then :^).
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-05-29 at 05:31 PM.