Thread: [Music] Metal

  1. #6361
    Stood in the Fire shitngiggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Has anyone here listened to Indukti before? I'm looking for a similar type of metal to this amazing track, Ninth Wave:

    *snip video*

    I think it's my favorite metal song by now. The way I explain it is that it so clearly and vividly tells a story, paints a picture. When I listen to this, I see so clearly a tragic battle playing out...so clearly, in fact, that it's become the inspiration for a lot of the battles in my writing.

    Stuff like this is what I've been listening to for a few months, mostly from Indukti and Baroness, and it's helped a lot in my writing. I want more. More of this instrumental, detailed, ramping up and down madness. I love it!
    Indukti is one of the reasons for my long instrumental kick. Really awesome bands out there.



    --

  2. #6362
    Bloodsail Admiral Goriq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    HMS Eagle
    Posts
    1,150
    New Nile album confirmed for August. I've tried a few times but aside from At the Gates of Sethu I could never really get into their music and it's been a while since I really listened to them but I'm still looking forward to this album.

  3. #6363
    Legendary! Feali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The clouds
    Posts
    6,395
    I might get lynched for this here but: New Asking Alexandria!


  4. #6364
    Elemental Lord Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    8,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    New Nile album confirmed for August. I've tried a few times but aside from At the Gates of Sethu I could never really get into their music and it's been a while since I really listened to them but I'm still looking forward to this album.
    I had a listen to George Kollias' solo album. I was curious to see if he'd be a bit more inventive with the drums there. But, alas, it's as much of a drudgery as every single Nile album since he joined. I do not have high hopes for anything Nile releases as long as he is in the band.

  5. #6365
    Regarding the new Nile:

    "The focus this time around is on brutally heavy metal riffing and songwriting; kind of like of an 'Annihilation Of The Wicked' approach but very streamlined to achieve maximum destructive impact."

    He continues: "Our last record, 'At The Gates Of Sethu', was super surgically clean and very 'musicianship oriented' whereas the new disc is a polar opposite; 'Unearthed' is aimed straight at utter metal heaviness and memorable songwriting.

    I really hope they go old school, or at least copy Annihilation of the Wicked. We need good death metal, not good wank metal. But anyway, I'm personally not that uber excited, Nile have always been kinda overrated in my eyes.



    - - - Updated - - -

    Some 2015 space black metal goodness

    Last edited by hellhamster; Yesterday at 12:11 PM.

  6. #6366
    Bloodsail Admiral Goriq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    HMS Eagle
    Posts
    1,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    I had a listen to George Kollias' solo album. I was curious to see if he'd be a bit more inventive with the drums there. But, alas, it's as much of a drudgery as every single Nile album since he joined. I do not have high hopes for anything Nile releases as long as he is in the band.
    I listened to one of the songs off of that album and it didn't really appeal to me. I kinda expected that to be the case tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Regarding the new Nile:
    "The focus this time around is on brutally heavy metal riffing and songwriting; kind of like of an 'Annihilation Of The Wicked' approach but very streamlined to achieve maximum destructive impact."
    He continues: "Our last record, 'At The Gates Of Sethu', was super surgically clean and very 'musicianship oriented' whereas the new disc is a polar opposite; 'Unearthed' is aimed straight at utter metal heaviness and memorable songwriting.
    I really hope they go old school, or at least copy Annihilation of the Wicked. We need good death metal, not good wank metal. But anyway, I'm personally not that uber excited, Nile have always been kinda overrated in my eyes.
    [video=youtube;XRo6BI_21Jo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRo6BI_21Jo[/vieo]
    I'd love to see more death metal albums that can appeal to me. Most death metal just bores me. Nile actually have some very interesting elements in their music and their vocalists are pretty good. Karl, I think, has one of the more unique vocal styles in metal, but instrumentally most of their music really just sounds unremarkable to me. A lot happens, but nothing actually happens, which is why like the slightly more simplistic approach of At the Gates of Sethu more than any of their previous records.

  7. #6367
    Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    I listened to one of the songs off of that album and it didn't really appeal to me. I kinda expected that to be the case tho.

    I'd love to see more death metal albums that can appeal to me. Most death metal just bores me. Nile actually have some very interesting elements in their music and their vocalists are pretty good. Karl, I think, has one of the more unique vocal styles in metal, but instrumentally most of their music really just sounds unremarkable to me. A lot happens, but nothing actually happens, which is why like the slightly more simplistic approach of At the Gates of Sethu more than any of their previous records.
    I always felt that Nile's late albums (post-Annihilation) were too much bread and butter, copy paste, straightforward tech death metal. Death metal's musical spectrum is pretty large however, I'm pretty sure you can find stuff that you like.

    Try this how-to-death-metal chart, I think it's pretty good in showcasing the genre's essentials despite that it misses some must albums.

    http://i.imgur.com/JmnC4LX.jpg
    Last edited by hellhamster; Yesterday at 12:46 PM.

  8. #6368
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Nearly every record on that image is a masterpiece or nearly so. All of those records fucking wreck.

  9. #6369
    Speaking of death metal, new Abyssal record will be dropping soon.

    If you are into truly chaotic and cavernous stuff, this band is one of the greats (although this track sounds a lot more melodious than expected).

    https://soundcloud.com/profoundlorer...-and-the-omega
    Last edited by hellhamster; Yesterday at 02:04 PM.

  10. #6370
    Bloodsail Admiral Goriq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    HMS Eagle
    Posts
    1,150
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I always felt that Nile's late albums (post-Annihilation) were too much bread and butter, copy paste, straightforward tech death metal. Death metal's musical spectrum is pretty large however, I'm pretty sure you can find stuff that you like.
    Try this how-to-death-metal chart, I think it's pretty good in showcasing the genre's essentials despite that it misses some must albums.
    http://i.imgur.com/JmnC4LX.jpg
    I already made my through that chart and a few others from the /mu/ wiki.

    However I didn't really like most albums on that chart.
    Bands/albums on there that I like include:
    Septicflesh (their three latest albums, haven't really listened to the rest yet)
    Gorguts (Obscura and Colored Sands, not a huge fan but I have a lot of respect for them)
    Ulcerate (Everything is Fire and Vermis, tho I'm not 100% with both)
    Deicide (only their latest album)
    Cynic (all of their stuff)
    Cryptopsy (only None so Vile, haven't really listened to the rest [yet])
    Abominable Putridity (I like to go back to that one every once in a while)
    Impetuous Ritual (not all that familiar with them but I think they're pretty good)
    Portal (Outre is amazing, Vexovoid not so much, don't really know about the rest)
    Bölzer (love their Aura EP, reviewed Soma)
    In Flames
    Dark Tranquillity the bold ones are bands that I've liked since I was 14 or so, they never get old for me.
    At the Gates
    The Chasm (that album has been in my bookmarks for ages, I just don't get around to listening to it)

    Sorry for the hardcore blogging, but I felt the need to clarify every case. But yeah, most of the other albums on that chart just kinda bored me/didn't appeal to me. There are some that might need a few more listens like Disma and Stargazer, but most of that stuff isn't for me, I guess.

  11. #6371
    Quote Originally Posted by Goriq View Post
    I already made my through that chart and a few others from the /mu/ wiki.

    However I didn't really like most albums on that chart.
    Bands/albums on there that I like include:
    Septicflesh (their three latest albums, haven't really listened to the rest yet)
    Gorguts (Obscura and Colored Sands, not a huge fan but I have a lot of respect for them)
    Ulcerate (Everything is Fire and Vermis, tho I'm not 100% with both)
    Deicide (only their latest album)
    Cynic (all of their stuff)
    Cryptopsy (only None so Vile, haven't really listened to the rest [yet])
    Abominable Putridity (I like to go back to that one every once in a while)
    Impetuous Ritual (not all that familiar with them but I think they're pretty good)
    Portal (Outre is amazing, Vexovoid not so much, don't really know about the rest)
    Bölzer (love their Aura EP, reviewed Soma)
    In Flames
    Dark Tranquillity the bold ones are bands that I've liked since I was 14 or so, they never get old for me.
    At the Gates
    The Chasm (that album has been in my bookmarks for ages, I just don't get around to listening to it)

    Sorry for the hardcore blogging, but I felt the need to clarify every case. But yeah, most of the other albums on that chart just kinda bored me/didn't appeal to me. There are some that might need a few more listens like Disma and Stargazer, but most of that stuff isn't for me, I guess.
    Lol don't worry, we are all hardcore bloggers when it comes to discussing metal . Yeah you definitely seem to be missing out on the more difficult, "traditionalist" death metal sound, like early Immolation, Morbid Angel, Incantation and other OSDM bands. OSDM is an acquired taste and a difficult genre in general to hop into though (it took me about 5-10 years to like personally, now in my early 20s it's probably my favorite metal subgenre).

    A recommendation I can throw out is to listen to albums you don't know next to the ones you mentioned in the chart, they are grouped together for that reason.
    Last edited by hellhamster; Yesterday at 03:13 PM.

  12. #6372
    Elemental Lord Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    8,417
    Honestly, Nile aren't going to beat the first couple albums as long as George is in the band. Particularly not when they look for inspiration towards Annihilation and onwards. They're fucking boring.

    It's sad really, because they're one of the bands that actually got me into Death Metal back when Black Seeds was released. Their live set with three dudes bellowing out the vocals was murderous.



    As to Cryptopsy, the one below is my favourite. I really prefer Mike to Lord Worm.




    - - - Updated - - -

    Scrolling down that list, I see a lot of faves. Death, of course, is awesome. Vader - Litany is one of my favourite albums, like, ever. WINGS is as amazing these days as it was back then. Doc was such an incredible drummer.

  13. #6373
    Bloodsail Admiral Goriq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    HMS Eagle
    Posts
    1,150
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Lol don't worry, we are all hardcore bloggers when it comes to discussing metal . Yeah you definitely seem to be missing out on the more difficult, "traditionalist" death metal sound, like early Immolation, Morbid Angel, Incantation and other OSDM bands. OSDM is an acquired taste and a difficult genre in general to hop into though (it took me about 5-10 years to like personally, now in my early 20s it's probably my favorite metal subgenre).

    A recommendation I can throw out is to listen to albums you don't know next to the ones you mentioned in the chart, they are grouped together for that reason.
    I kinda like Immolation's Majesty and Decay album, but I never really bothered looking into their music past that. I gave Incantation's first album a listen a few years ago since it's considered to be really good. It was alright, but it just doesn't stick with me for some reason. OSDM in general just kinda bores me no matter how many times I try to get into it. I still give most new records a listen and go back to albums that I didn't like every once in a while to see if my opinion on them changed. I remember giving Morbid Angel a try ages ago, maybe I should do that again.

    I'm only 20 now and even tho I've been listening to metal since I was ~13, I only really started to get into it around 4-5 years ago. This is only my third year of following new releases too.

    As soon as I can find the time I'll try to go through that chart again as well as some of the other charts from that wiki. I still have some black/doom and mathcore charts to go through in my tabs.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    [video=youtube;XQPSFeD58kc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQPSFeD58kc[/vieo]
    I think it's actually the other way around for me, lol. I prefer Lord Worms vocals, tho Mike certainly does a good job. There's also something about Cryptopsy that just makes them pretty satisfying to listen to. I'm giving "And then you'll beg" a listen right now and it sounds pretty good so far.

    - - - Updated - - -

    The new Soilwork album is going to be released on the 28th of August and it's going to be called "The Ride Majestic".

    The album cover looks quite a bit different from what they usually do but I like it.

    It took me some time to get into The Living Infinite and I didn't really like it at first but I've seen a video of the drum tracking for The Ride Majestic earlier this year and it looked really promising.

    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Strid
    We just put the final touches on our new album, The Ride Majestic, and all we can say is that it's going to be massive. It definitely picks up where we left off with The Living Infinite, but slightly darker, atmospheric and almost anthemic, with some really interesting twists and turns. Can't wait to play this epic beast live! Await The Ride Majestic ladies n’ gents!
    If the album can live up to this description it should be pretty good.

  14. #6374
    Alone in the office blasting Rigor Mortis' self-titled record. headbanging like a manic.

    Can't wait for the Hateeternal/Deicide and Iron Reagan concerts this weekend.

    Live for metal, die for Ghoul! \m/

  15. #6375
    Oh hell yes! Just got tickets for Deafheaven next month. Rather happy about this turn of events.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •