Thread: [Music] Metal

Page 3 of 463 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Metal

I know some tech death, too. Although this is mostly just guitar wankery of a series of difficult blast patterns.
    Brain Drill
    And
    Viraemia

And dare I even mention the most generic black metal band?
    I do because they're actually amazing at what they do.
    Dark Funeral

I absolutely love the lyrics on that Dark Funeral song.. All their lyrics are amazing, despite their extreme shallowness.
    But that's part of the charm, I guess.
    Though the lyrics on their last album seem to have a lot more meaning behind them for most of the part. It's less about flat out Satanism and blasphemy and stuff, and it's more indirect. Though there's still a lot of Satanic-tinted stuff there.

And then some blackened death metal for balance. They're christian!
    Crimson Moonlight

On a lighter note, good speed metal, though this song in particular isn't that fast, aside from the shredding.
    Racer X

Even though the last two years I have ended up slightly ignoring the scene, if you name a band that isn't your average garage band, I have probably heard of them and even likely tried them out. Pure, raw doom and nu-metal are the genres I have maybe tried out the least.

I get very easily stuck with a single subgenre for a week or two, but overall my favourites tend to be the more progressive styles.

I had been liking metal songs here and there, but the first bang to hit me big was Sonata Arctica. Yes, "flower metal" and I'm not ashamed to admit I still have a soft spot this "first love" of mine. Their first album Replica back in -99 was the first whole album catch my little mind's attention and ever since I've been following a slippery slope to first melodic death metal which ended up being my favourite style for long until I ventured deeper into the scene.

It's hard to start doing any lists as there are many, many wonderful bands around there. Today I've been listening to Arcturus which is a band I became accompanied with couple years back.

15+ Year Old Account

Some bands worth mentioning imo (didn't see em in this topic yet atleast):

Ill Niño
    36 Crazyfists
    Lamb Of God
    Scar Symmetry(prolly my fav band atm)

To whoever said BFMV wasn't metal: I don't care what genre it is, I like them, saw them live twice now and those were some of the best shows I've seen.

Asides from the above mentioned bands I have a wide "taste" really.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Christian Älvestam is currently the best melodic death metal vocalist, tbh.

A couple of his bands.
    Unmoored
    Scar Symmetry
    Miseration
    The Few Against Many

None of this is fabricated, it's all him, clean vocals and growls all him. He's just incredibly talented.
    He also plays guitar, bass and drums. Now that's a really dedicated musician. Though it kinda sucks he stays within the death metal genre. I'd like to see him doing something black metal, because his shriek is so perfect.(The Scar Symmetry song is an example of his shriek.)

Quote Originally Posted by DrFeelGood
    Insomnium - Melodic Death metal. Beautiful lyrics, sick melodic melodies and they're one of those bands where you enjoy EVERY song on their cds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul
    Amorphis - I first listened to their recent album "Skyforger" and it blew me away. Then I start looking into their earlier work and their albums are so diverse on genres than theyre possibly one of my favorite bands.
    Quoting these two, because I've seen both of the mentioned bands live. If you ever have the chance to do the same, I suggest you to go for it. While Amorphis' vocalist is more of a "showman", both bands are definitely worth seeing on their gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Emsarrev
    To whoever said BFMV wasn't metal: I don't care what genre it is
    Personally I consider BFMV to fall in the metalcore category. Whether a purist accepts metalcore as a part of the metal family, that's up to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorg
    Wow, a doom fan, people like you are rare outside of metal forums.
    I personally love Warning, Shape of Despair(Gothic, I know ) and Nortt most.
    Though I do like me some Ahab, Skepticism, Cult of Luna(They're kind of sludgy) and Forgotten Tomb, too.

If you haven't heard one of those, you should, though they're all pretty well known, so I doubt you don't know them.
    Haha Yeah I'm very familiar with them, all good stuff. :P

Don't get me wrong though, I love most genres of metal and tons of non-metal, but yeah Doom definitely edges out infront.

Quote Originally Posted by Xheoul
    Have some Tech Death from France, gentlemen.
    I don't usually get into Tech bands but that ain't bad. May want to try out Pavor, features one of the Bethlehem's many ex-vocalists, from back when they were respectable.

The lack of Gorguts in this thread makes me sad.

Dream Theater
    Megadeth
    Judas Priest
    Manowar
    Delain
    Nightwish
    Therion.

Then i delve into bands like: Dimmu, Marduk, Gorgoroth, Mercyful Fate

Immortal!
    Quote Originally Posted by 420rogue View Post
    rawrrrr, i decided to make a new toon and now i can't get into the game....
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyth View Post
    this is the dumbest person i have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorg
    You're lucky there are mods on the prowl for me, because if this was any other forum, I'd probably rip you apart piece by piece for calling those bands "metal". They're not even worthy of being called metalcore either.

Metalcore is stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utT0lLC6d5Q
    Those bands you linked are pop rock bands attempting to be hardcore and metal because it's the cool thing to do.
    Wow, what a typical response from a kid who thinks they know everything about the music industry. Always someone in every music discussion who think they know it all. All That Remains are classified metal actually, nor are Avenged or Bullet "Pop Rock". Stop having such a big head.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumpky
    Lets get off tutorial island, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL3opp2-DqE
    I don't understand what you're gettin' at here... They're a dime a dozen band. :

Quote Originally Posted by splund
    Wow, what a typical response from a kid who thinks they know everything about the music industry. Always someone in every music discussion who think they know it all. All That Remains are classified metal actually, nor are Avenged or Bullet "Pop Rock". Stop having such a big head.
    A common misconception, it seems, but he's correct, Metalcore ≠ Metal. I'm not sayin' your wrong for liking them or whatever, if its what you like by all means... But don't be spreadin' false information.

Quote Originally Posted by DesolatedMaggot
    A common misconception, it seems, but he's correct, Metalcore ≠ Metal. I'm not sayin' your wrong for liking them or whatever, if its what you like by all means... But don't be spreadin' false information.
    What is false? All That Remains were and sometimes still are considered Metal.

I'm not talkin' about any band in perticular, I'm talkin' about the genre here. Metalcore is hardcore punk with metal influences. Now granted it can happen the other way around as well but usually they're more punk than metal. This is why, for example, most of them are not included in Encyclopaedia Metallum.

Quote Originally Posted by DesolatedMaggot
    I'm not talkin' about any band in perticular, I'm talkin' about the genre here. Metalcore is hardcore punk with metal influences. Now granted it can happen the other way around as well but usually they're more punk than metal. This is why, for example, most of them are not included in Encyclopaedia Metallum.
    yeah i can see that, i wasn't implying that bullet or avenged were metal. Metal is a pretty broad genre these days.

I've slightly cleaned up this thread, edited a few posts and deleted some others. Read the rules. I consider myself pretty lenient with anyone who occasionally loses it, but I do keep an extra eye out for those who do.

On another note, whatever happened to old-school metal? Iron Maiden, Judas Priest (just mentioning the obvious ones). They all seem to be suspiciously lacking from your lists >

Hard to pick a few favorites...

But it has to be:

In Flames - A friend told me about them and a concert they were going to in 2006, so I joined them, and it was the best concert ever.
    Some other bands who I'd already heard of played there too, they had been my favorites for some years then and still are. Children of Bodom and Lamb of God.

And then Keep of Kalessin which I had never heard of before a festival in 2007 where I first heard them and saw their amazing show.
    I listen to loads of other bands as well, but these are the ones I've listened too most and really want to see again.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

I forgot to add my old school ones!! :|

Slayer, Anthrax, Testament.
    I've got a golden ticket.

I Killed the Prom Queen - The sound that they emit is godly.
    Job for a Cowboy - They are nucking futs.
    The Black Dahlia Murder - I mean have you ever listened to their lyrics?