Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21

    Re: Spartacus Blood and Sand

    Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar
    Actually, don't tell people what they can talk about. If people don't like a show because of sex or profanity that is part of the show. They may have liked it besides that, maybe not. But still, it IS a part of the show. If someone looks at this and wants to see what the show in general is about, gore, sex, and cursing is a big part of it.
    The point was, that the show has gore, sex and cursing and there isn't exactly anything you can do about that. Why discuss it? It wont change and like we saw in the actual "pornography in movies" thread, people are so different on the matter that if we start to discuss it, only bad things will happen.

    The Spartacus in this show is speculation. This part of his life wasn't well recorded so they are building the story on their own based on what historians assumed happened. It's the whole basis of the show. It's the story that they made up about what happened to him before historical record started.
    Ofcourse they made up a story, so what? It still doesn't change the fact that throughout film history there has been one major production based on Spartacus, so personally I'm very interested in seeing a show about him. It's fresh.

    There aren't many gladiator movies? Are you kidding? There are TONS of gladiator movies though most are in black and white. They all follow a similar plot. Guy looses wife, is backstabbed, something that puts him in the ring. The main politician is always corrupt. He fights and has to defeat the best gladiator ever lived. And yes, most movies like Gladiator, 300, the movies about the roman empire and anything around that time frame are all very similar. Why? Because obviously, they are all based on the same time frame. And like I said, that's the point of the show. Lots of people really like those types of movies and shows.
    So because there were alot of gladiator movies in the fifties, Spartacus is just a copy and doesn't provide anything new? And funnilly enough, you say there are TONS of gladiator movies, yet you fail to name any. Same with "the movies about the roman empire". What are these movies? I don't know, maybe I haven't been paying attention or something because I really, really can't remember tons and tons of gladiator and roman empire movies from the past 10 years that you could really say that it's a whole specific subgenre with very strict plotstructures. Maybe you can help me and name those movies?

    And besides, you say Gladiator and 300 in the same sentence, what do they have in common? Nothing, really. You're bundling a huge variety of movies under "It's just another Gladiator fighting movie with the same exact plot as the rest." I don't see how you can back that up.

  2. #22
    Fluffy Kitten Myrrar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rapture
    Posts
    9,401

    Re: Spartacus Blood and Sand

    I'm confused, everything you posted was "well yeah, buuut". Opinions aren't facts and trying to make people go to your opinions will never work. Just because we like this show doesn't mean everyone else will or that they should. What are you trying to argue about? That it's a good show? I've obviously already stated that. But, it's a good show for people who like that genre.

    Yes, it has all those things and nothing can change that. If a show has a terrible story line and we talk about it nothing will change that. If some movie has huge plot holes nothing we say can change it. The point of a discussion on a show is to talk about it as a whole, and yes, that is part of the show. No one is talking about if those things are bad, but the fact that it 1) does have a ton of it in it, and 2) a lot of people don't enjoy the show because of it. Not sure where you think you have the authority to tell people they can't talk about a large part of the show but sorry to tell you, they can hate the show because of the softcore porn all they want. If you aren't going to be able to talk about all aspects of the show why talk about it at all.

    There are probably 200+ movies about gladiators though I can't say any of them are actually good. But, since you can't use google:

    Besides Gladiator and Sparticus
    Barabbas
    The last days of pompeii
    demetrius and the gladiators
    jason and the argonauts
    quo vadis
    ben-hur
    cleopatra
    intolerance
    hercules
    cabiria
    sign of the cross
    roman legion-hare
    duel of champions
    the fall of the roman empire
    arena/bread and circuses
    the arena
    satyricon
    blah blah blah

    The story is not original, like I said. Did i say it was bad? no. And that is why I said, IF you like those types of movies, you will really enjoy this series. If not, it's probably not going to being a lot of new things to the table.

    Roman movies are basically the same because like said, they are from the same time frame. They wear the same clothing, the fighting is basically the same, it's based on roman times, roman government, roman customs. 300 isn't roman, but the basics are the same. Trying to fight that is just being blind.

    I like this show. I like gladiator fighting roman movies. For my friends that don't they got bored. The same way they got bored watching gladiator and spartacus when we had to watch it in school.

    Look up 300 and Gladiator, there are TONS of sites comparing them because a lot of people put them under the same genre. As people compare Freddy vs Jason, animated princess movies, or superhero movies.

  3. #23

    Re: Spartacus Blood and Sand

    But, it's a good show for people who like that genre
    And what is this genre? Is it a drama? Action? Horror? Thriller? Oh right, it's genre is a gladiator movie! I'm sorry you tell you this, but thats not a genre.

    If you aren't going to be able to talk about all aspects of the show why talk about it at all
    You're not reading what I say. I said there is no point discussing matters like nudity, profanity and gore because those aspects go so far beyond the regular limitations of opinion and are in fact very strong segments of our personality that trying to discuss them will lead absolutely nowhere. They are things that are dictated by our upbringing, religion and fundamental views of life, where as opinions are just... opinions. You can disagree and discuss the plot and characters and even through conversation find new aspects on those, but nudity will stay as nudity and there is no way anyone is going to change their views on that based on something anyone said about it on an internet forum.

    And that is why discussing those matters is futile and a waste of time and will just lead to derailing the topic, which is already happening.

    Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar
    There are probably 200+ movies about gladiators though I can't say any of them are actually good. But, since you can't use google:
    Next time, read what I say, ok? I really don't care what they did in the 50's and 60's, I said in the past 10 years.

    The story is not original, like I said. Did i say it was bad? no. And that is why I said, IF you like those types of movies, you will really enjoy this series. If not, it's probably not going to being a lot of new things to the table.
    How is it not original? I already told you that there is one major production based on Spartacus throughout the history if cinema. You're also basically saying that movies in general don't bring anything new to the table, because everything was already done in the 50's. What the hell of an argument is that?

    Roman movies are basically the same because like said, they are from the same time frame. They wear the same clothing, the fighting is basically the same, it's based on roman times, roman government, roman customs. 300 isn't roman, but the basics are the same. Trying to fight that is just being blind.
    Saying that movies are basically the same because they're from the same time frame and because they wear the same clothing, the fighting is basically the same and because it's based on roman times, roman government and roman customs is blind. Is every single contemporary movie made in the 21th century basically the same because they're from the same time frame and because they wear the same clothing, the fighting is basically the same and because it's based on the same times, government and customs?

    Look up 300 and Gladiator, there are TONS of sites comparing them because a lot of people put them under the same genre. As people compare Freddy vs Jason, animated princess movies, or superhero movies.
    Look up womens rights. There are TONS of people saying women shouldn't be allowed to speak in the presence of men. Does something turn into a valid argument when enough people say it? Look up 300 and Gladiator yourself and compare them from some other viewpoint than "but man, they wear the same clooooooths!" and you'll understand they are NOT similar.

    You're still bunching up a ridiculously big group of movies in one pile and saying "they're basically the same" based on something completely arbitrary like clothing and time period. If "a gladiator show" is all you see in Spartacus, then you're probably watching it wrong. You're also seeing "just a gladiator show" in a lot of things apparently, looking though that list of "gladiator movies" you made. Do you also say "it's just another gun movie" about every movie with a gun in it? You also probably consider The Italian Job and The Fast and the Furious to be basically the same movie because they both got an iconic driving scene.

  4. #24
    Miss Doctor Lady Bear Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    15,036

    Re: Spartacus Blood and Sand

    Calm down or take the arguments to PMs, please. Both of you are allowed to have opinions; let's get the thread back to discussing the series and not flaming each other.

  5. #25

    Re: Spartacus Blood and Sand

    Just watched the season finale the other night. I, like many others, had problems making it through the first episode. I actually had to watch it twice because I felt like it was shortened version of 300. However, once it actually got INTO the show, I was very impressed by the story line, and moreso by the finale.

  6. #26
    The Patient Gamerloin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    278

    Re: Spartacus Blood and Sand

    Loved it, including episode one. saw a commercial a while back and i was like :O.
    Too bad season 2 has been posponed =/
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    The most nerfed class in WoW is <my class>. <my class> seems to get nerfed every damn patch, unlike those <other class> that get buffed and still want more!

  7. #27
    Pandaren Monk Tokru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The end of the rainbow
    Posts
    1,831

    Re: Spartacus Blood and Sand

    Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar
    There are probably 200+ movies about gladiators though I can't say any of them are actually good. But, since you can't use google:

    Besides Gladiator and Sparticus
    Barabbas
    The last days of pompeii
    demetrius and the gladiators
    jason and the argonauts
    quo vadis
    ben-hur
    cleopatra
    intolerance
    hercules
    cabiria
    sign of the cross
    roman legion-hare
    duel of champions
    the fall of the roman empire
    arena/bread and circuses
    the arena
    satyricon
    blah blah blah
    are you kidding? where were you in your history lessons? Can't you distinguish between greek and roman? 300, hercules, jason and the argonauts have nothing to do with romans or gladiators. They play in a different culture. The only thing they have in common with gladiator movies is the fighting with sword and shield. Would you connect gladiator movies with king arthur too?

  8. #28
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maui, Hawaii
    Posts
    227

    Re: Spartacus Blood and Sand

    While the effects aren't that great I love the show, and I've watched it religiously so far. One of the things that stand out for me is how brutally honest they are. Plus any fan of Xena wants to see her topless.
    Quote Originally Posted by tremors
    Divine Shield.. Never really stood the hole point of the "oh look at me im in a shiny bubble" I mean come on what does that shit even do?! Pointless waist of mana imo.

  9. #29
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maui, Hawaii
    Posts
    227

    Re: Spartacus Blood and Sand

    Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    Its going another one of those Shows that show lots of Blood, Gore, Nudity. But no Story. Basically, another bad show.

    Hell, if I want to watch a good Roman Gladiator, movie, I'll just pull out the 'Gladiator' from my shelf, which I believe this "Spartacus Blood and Sand" is based on.
    The movie Gladiator was based on Maximus a different gladiator. The story of Spartacus is real, maybe not to the pin-point of the show but it really happened.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spartacus
    Quote Originally Posted by tremors
    Divine Shield.. Never really stood the hole point of the "oh look at me im in a shiny bubble" I mean come on what does that shit even do?! Pointless waist of mana imo.

  10. #30

    Re: Spartacus Blood and Sand

    It's a no brainer show, really predictable and not too original. But it's still a pretty cool action show. I wouldn't go as far as going out of my way to watch this or anything, or calling it BEST SHOW IN THE WORLD LOL, but still worth a watch.

  11. #31

    Re: Spartacus Blood and Sand

    What really mortified me was that someone on the production staff clearly did a LOT of research. Things like the gladiators fighting with the correct styles for the countries they're meant to be from and the socio-political structure of Roman society have been really well done. It's like someone made a clever, thoughtful historical drama then handed it over to someone else who then edited out any scenes where you can't see a nipple and added 500% more CG blood.

  12. #32

    Re: Spartacus Blood and Sand

    Well, Season finale took place, what, two weeks ago? i watched about a good 4 episodes plus the finale, and it was pretty satisfying.

    And yes, to some people it may have seemed that the director and staff wanted to add as much nudity as they could just for the sake of it, but please keep in mind this is actually how roman society was like.

    Remember folks, greeks and romans are different. Spartacus is not 300, despite the special effects you may have seen for a minute or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •