Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rotface: Kiting the Oozes

I'm relatively new to raiding, but I still feel I'm able to catch on relatively quickly to any of the fights.

But I've been having a problem with rotface 10-man. The other tank is a war, so I was told to kite the big ooze, not a big problem. Something I need clarified.

Are you supposed to completely being hit by the ooze? It seemed that the one time I got hit, it was so hard that ardent defender kicked in.
    What's the best way to avoid the slime pumps in the four quarters of the room? I couldn't/can't tell if there is any sort of pattern.

While I was kiting, the third shammy healer kept pulling aggro off me, it seemed just by healing me. Whats the best way to get some threat on an add that you can't get close enough to hit?

TLDR : Clarification on kiting the Rotface big ooze.

Thanks for any and all the help. Pyre

Re: Rotface: Kiting the Oozes

Drop consecration and let it run over it. Try judging it at max judgement range. Get some range on it and exorcise if you can. If it ever stops targetting you, to grow into a bigger ooze for example (can't remember if it does) then taunt it for some extra damage.

But overall yes, you shouldn't be hit by the oozes.

kite around the outside, dont get hit. your taunt alone is enough to hold aggro.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Hi,

We did use a paladin for a while, but DK's are the ooze kiters of choice! (this is not to say that you can't do it, you just dont have chains of ice.

If you struggle to maintain agro, by throwing your shield, dropping consecrate in its path, exorcism, holy shock etc. Then what you can do is pop cool-downs as soon as the large ooze spawns, and lay every bit of agro you can onto it before you start to kite.

Large oozes hit extremely hard, even at Stage 1 you need spam heals OR cool-downs to survive a few hits. By the time the ooze is size3, its capable of 1-hitting some tanks (ie - do not get hit!).

As for the slime flood, just pop hands of freedom and ignore, the damage is really quite minimal. You must remember not to outrun the ooze by too much, as it does not follow your path - it aims for you. The further away you are, the closer to the center of the room it will get. I mention this only because you need balance, you shouldn't idle around in a poison spill, but remember when you sprint through it, you may have gained too much of a lead on the ooze.

TLDR;

- You can safely run through the big poison spills
    - If all of your threat abilities from range are not adequate, pop CD"s and tank till just before they expire while ooze is still First rank. (rarely necessary)

Thanks for all the help. Just about to hit it again tonight, so...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by keke
    Well, one of the easiest things to do on 10 man is just to have a hunter kiting. Of course, it's not easy finding a good hunter that knows what he's doing, but having a hunter kiting AND dpsing the boss, and changing the "tank-kiter" for a DPS, helps alot.
    Using this strategy, we got him to 28% on 10man. DK main tank, priest, druid healing, pally heals/dispell, and I was kiting the big ooze. My only problem was running thru the puddles of slime. sometimes they can't be avoided and my question is, should i run keep running thru them or go towards the center of the room to skirt the puddle?

Edit: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...uzad&cn=Jerrem

Deleted

When the big ooze spawns use HoR & Avenger's shield, from there on you will only need to use Exorcism.

Any good tank can do this.

We currently use a warrior for tanking, he's one of the better players we have and he commands the task well, obviously we realised this weeker then other tanks at maintaining ranged aggro, so we have a hunter provide an intial misdirect and the tank generates around 3-4 seconds of threat usually with a cooldown when the two small oozes spawn, from then on he kites in a circle even through the sludge.

I usually get stuck kiting oozes.

1) Use Hand of Reckoning, consecrate and run away. Pop RF and toss a Frisbee at it. If you need to maintain threat, just judge on it from maxx range and you should be ok.

2) Strafe. Lets you judge and such without being an S-keyer.

3) If for some reason you have two oozes, pop bubble-wall and kite toward common outer wall and they will merge when close enough.

Something people havnt mentioned, (apologies if i missed it), you get a 2-3 second start as the small slimes merge and form the big one.

Smack it with a Shield of Righteousness in those 2-3 secs as it forms, then run away, and throw an avengers shield at it (if its off cd), assuming you have tuskar's vitality (or pursuit of justice as some have) you'll get distance enough most the time to throw an excorcism (as mentioned in above posts).

Personally, my main things are smack with a shield of righteousness, throw avengers shield, then excorcism when i get the chance. If new (extra) spawn, throw a hand of reckoning, avengers shield, etc

I suggest saving bubblewall for tricky situations when you badly time hand of freedom, or really need to run through a big slime (or 2)
    Ex-gm of Eternals
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Balnazzar&n=Ori
    "Blah blah woof woof"

15+ Year Old Account

You should beable to judge your target, reguardless of your current facing, as long as they are within range.

The most important thing you can do is avoid the larger pools of poison. From time to time, you'll get shafted and have no else place to go. Ask for "Power Word: Sprint" (assuming you have a BnS holy priest in raid) to go through the big pool. If you have NO OTHER OPTIONS, you can run through with bubble on, and take it off and taunt quickly. This is a very dangerous maneuver and is very difficult to pull off, however it is a much better idea than standing still and dying.

Hand of Reckoning will not generate sufficient aggro, as it is just a "taunt" (for all intents and purposes). Exorcism & Avenger's Shield are much more successful, I typically try to stay somewhat close to it, ensuring that it stays as far away from the raid as possible. Obviously, this has its up and downsides- but after several years of tanking, I'm very comfortable with my abilities. The downside to this is that you are very limited to your escape routes. We typically run 3 healers (for 10m) if we don't have a paladin to help keep me up for "F" situations. 25man is Lol anyway.

Don't bubble. That will cause the sle to go to healers. A tank can stand in the slime all day if your healers don't suck.
    Pondering returning.

15+ Year Old Account

Sorry if any of this is a repeat but I don't think I saw anyone mention any of it:
    As a paladin, you can be a one-person wonder show as the off-kiter.
    You can cleanse the infection off of them once they are in range, leaving healers to concentrate on healing you and others and also taking the guesswork out of another raid member having to look over at your area and guess if the time is right for a cleanse.
    You can Hand of Freedom yourself through the slime pools. This is very important and I don't think I saw anyone mention it .. that debuff that applies to you when you run through the slime can be completely removed if you receive Hand of Freedom for the duration that it is active. Heck, if there's another paladin in the raid you could probably kite through the slime the entire fight if you wanted to.
    Another thing I notice... after doing rotface each week with a few different raids, I notice a significant difference between raids who have completely stationary MTs and those who have mobile ones. If you can convince your MT (who is just standing there doing nothing interesting the whole time pretty much except tank n spank) to move the boss (while having the raid follow of course) a bit away from you if they see that you are going to clip the center a bit with your kiting, that helps immensely. Whether the OT is greatly experienced or not, this method seems to make the whole fight a lot easier.
    Hope that helped!

Quote Originally Posted by Thaendra
    Sorry if any of this is a repeat but I don't think I saw anyone mention any of it:
    As a paladin, you can be a one-person wonder show as the off-kiter.
    You can cleanse the infection off of them once they are in range, leaving healers to concentrate on healing you and others and also taking the guesswork out of another raid member having to look over at your area and guess if the time is right for a cleanse.
    You can Hand of Freedom yourself through the slime pools. This is very important and I don't think I saw anyone mention it .. that debuff that applies to you when you run through the slime can be completely removed if you receive Hand of Freedom for the duration that it is active. Heck, if there's another paladin in the raid you could probably kite through the slime the entire fight if you wanted to.
    Another thing I notice... after doing rotface each week with a few different raids, I notice a significant difference between raids who have completely stationary MTs and those who have mobile ones. If you can convince your MT (who is just standing there doing nothing interesting the whole time pretty much except tank n spank) to move the boss (while having the raid follow of course) a bit away from you if they see that you are going to clip the center a bit with your kiting, that helps immensely. Whether the OT is greatly experienced or not, this method seems to make the whole fight a lot easier.
    Hope that helped!
    it's true, pallys make sexy ooz kiters

The mention above of being able to Cleanse the debuff is the main reason why I OT as a pally instead of MT the boss during this encounter. It keeps the healers off dealing with the debuff and gives you control to drop the slime off in the position you want. As long as the healer on you is paying attention, even kiting all through slime isn't a huge deal as long as the slowdown debuff doesn't last if you go through 2 slime pools. Hand of Freedom works great for this.

The biggest issue that I've found is when the slimes decide to go dance off on their own, ie: the pet/tank bugs where they try to get behind each other. Am I the only one that has noticed it when occasionally after the 2nd small ooze is dropped and both people who were Cleansed are standing outside, waiting for them to merge, and they two small oozes decide to shoot off in a random direction as they attempt to merge? And it seems more than not that they seem to go toward the center. So I'm standing on the outside with the two people Cleansed, scratching our heads as they big ooze spawns directly in the center of the room when they finally merge....

It seems like it is either something with the bug that was introduced in 3.3 with pets trying to get behind a mob and they dance off or something with the way that aggro is generated after cleansing, but that situation alone makes me hate this fight with a passion.

That happens because someoe was cleansed and didn't wait for their slime to attempt to merge beforereturning ro the middle. Human error, not a bug.
    Pondering returning.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoll
    That happens because someoe was cleansed and didn't wait for their slime to attempt to merge beforereturning ro the middle. Human error, not a bug.
    Beg to differ. I've had video fraps with all 3(myself and the 2 cleansed) standing outside, staring at each other, and the slimes shoot out. Trust me, we aren't moving.

Don't know if this was already mentioned (didn't see it). Ignore the slime puddles that form in the 4 quadrants of the room. Just run through them and pop Hand of Freedom on yourself to get out of the slowing effect.

Honestly the hardest part about kiting the ooze is not getting to far ahead of it thus letting it get close to the middle.

The night my guild attempted it on 10 man, we had a druid and warrior tank that night.

The warrior tried kiting first and I pulled off of him several times - especially when I had to work some HL's in my rotation. I heard the slime pools damage was not intense...so is it low enough to just heal with FoL/HS?
    Unfortunately I was new to the fight and was paying attention to mechanics and not if the warrior was being hit by the big ooze.

So we decided to try it with the druid kiting. He did hold aggro better but on every attempt the ooze caught up to him. He said the slime pools slowed him down to the point that he couldn't outrun the ooze.

So is a druid and warrior tank not recommended to kite? Are they really not that capable? Are our kiters just not up to snuff?
    I know pally and dk tanks are the better choices...but it seems silly that we NEED that group make-up.