Deleted

Blocking Websites

If this is the wrong forum for this, I apologise in advance and sincerely hope a moderator moves it to a more apropriate one.

I have quite playing world of warcraft aprox ~3 month ago.

However I still keep visiting wow related sites and forums to avoid me starting wow again, compare it to ex-smokers using nicotine plasters to avoid them starting to smoke again.

3 Months later I have now quit the game but am still spending about ~1-2 hours/day browsing forums.

I want to reduce the amount of internet fora I view drastically, however for me it seems quitting to watch the forums is harder then actually quiting the game.

I have started to remove the wow-related forums from my favorites/bookmarks/rss feed lists, but that doesn't seem to be helping to much.

If you have managed to read it so far, congratulations, here is my question:

Is there a possible way I can block my own computer from visiting certain websites so that even when I try to go to them nothing but a blank page (or an error or w/e) appears?
    I do want to be able to remove the blocks I placed, for instance with a password if that's possible.

Something else I would like is to be able to block seperate pages from a website, so that I can for instance watch the mmo-champion news, but when I try to acces the forums it doesn't work.

My web browser is Firefox.

Thanks in advance for reading trough this mess and I hope there is some sort of solution ;D

Re: Blocking Websites

Well you can start by adding the site to your hosts file like this (where the hosts file is located varies per OS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_f...t_and_location):

127.0.0.1 wow-europe.com
    127.0.0.1 forums.wow-europe.com

This would block out entire (sub)domains now sure how to allow specific pages.

World of Warcraft: Map || Screenshots

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by WyriHaximus
    Well you can start by adding the site to your hosts file like this (where the hosts file is located varies per OS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_f...t_and_location):

127.0.0.1 wow-europe.com

This would block out entire (sub)domains now sure how to allow specific pages.
    Sorry but I am generally quite terrible at this kind of thing, is there any chance you will be able to run me trough this step by step?

Quote Originally Posted by hypermode
    Sorry but I am generally quite terrible at this kind of thing, is there any chance you will be able to run me trough this step by step?
    Ok open your windows explorer and go to C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ (assuming you have a default install).
    Now with Vista and above this file is normally locked from editing by default. Right click it and uncheck read only (might be some permissions you need to change 2 but not sure I can edit mine like this :P). Then double click it to open it your being prompted for a problem to open the file with pick notepad/wordpad. For every hostname you want to block add a line like this and replace HOSTNAME with the hostname to block (forums.wow-europe.com for example):

Code:
    127.0.0.1  forums.wow-europe.com
    Once your done for every hostname you want to block safe the file and check read-only again.

P.S. If this breaks anything undo the changes you made .

World of Warcraft: Map || Screenshots

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by WyriHaximus
    Ok open your windows explorer and go to C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ (assuming you have a default install).
    Now with Vista and above this file is normally locked from editing by default. Right click it and uncheck read only (might be some permissions you need to change 2 but not sure I can edit mine like this :P). Then double click it to open it your being prompted for a problem to open the file with pick notepad/wordpad. For every hostname you want to block add a line like this and replace HOSTNAME with the hostname to block (forums.wow-europe.com for example):

Code:
    Once your done for every hostname you want to block safe the file and check read-only again.

P.S. If this breaks anything undo the changes you made .
    You can do that, or like for example you can use a system like OpenDNS: https://www.opendns.com/
    You can block gaming sites in general as well there, but you can also make a list (free) from up to 25 sites that'll be blocked.

Using OpenDNS is a bit more drastic though.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Logicaly
    You can do that, or like for example you can use a system like OpenDNS: https://www.opendns.com/
    You can block gaming sites in general as well there, but you can also make a list (free) from up to 25 sites that'll be blocked.

Using OpenDNS is a bit more drastic though.

OpenDNS is just the feature I was looking for, thank you, does it have any way to just block the mmo-champ forums and not the newsposts though?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by hypermode
    OpenDNS is just the feature I was looking for, thank you, does it have any way to just block the mmo-champ forums and not the newsposts though?
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think that if you set:

Never block:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php

Always Block:
    mmo-champion.com

It'll block everything except the homepage. You'll have to try that out though.

(It'll take 5-10 minutes after setting it to work)