Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: Pleople really need to learn to tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemrod
    You must be a great tank if you don't know that overhealing causes no threat.

These days everyone seems to be great at something, mostly having no clue about the game.
    I'm sure the clue is there, but fact hasn't been proven to those. It's easy for us humans to say something is true when maybe only half of it is, or it is merely rumoured.

----

Anyway, if one is to complain about Mages using AoE too soon or healers being precautious, use your skills man! We didn't get burst threat abilities for just shits-'n-giggles!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrizesu
    Funny story, I did have this one ret paladin completely tank a gundrak in ret and we were perfectly fine.
    That's something I like to do too! Besides, it's fun, speeds things up a bit and it makes healing challenging!

I play on Doomhammer-EU.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwinB89
    That's something I like to do too! Besides, it's fun, speeds things up a bit and it makes healing challenging!
    You kidding me? You ret guys are easier to heal then half of the dks who try to tank. I love just about any paladin who's tanking for me.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwinB89
    I'm sure the clue is there, but fact hasn't been proven to those. It's easy for us humans to say something is true when maybe only half of it is, or it is merely rumoured.
    What on earth are you talking about. Healing only causes threat equal to 1/2 of the amount actually healed, with the exception of Paladins who cause less threat per HP than other classes. It's been like that since Vanilla. It doesn't matter if your heal crits for two-hundred billion, if the target has full health it causes no threat.
    I'm in the "I don't have an obnoxiously large signature" club.

I play a prot warrior and a rogue. I don't raid on either of them, so doing heroics, making money, and chatting up trade is all that I do in between work shifts nowadays...

I can say that I find all three ICC heroics to be incredibly easy to tank as a warrior. I have 1 simple macro that Heroic Throws, targetlasttarget, and charges. Using this simple macro (target 1, target 2, press button) I herd every mob from every pull with no effort at all. Sometimes I'll throw, charge, shield bash, and run to the last unsilenced caster, but everything is still herded right up on me, where I proceed to threat their faces off without even having to move my feet. It's very easy, you're not stumbling around trying to click on or tab to some mob that's nuking the healer, you take care of all the work before the pull.

PoS you can use this between Ick-Gauntlet to never have to worry about things getting too far away, let spell reflect, your stuns, and your interrupts do the rest of the work.

HoR is even easier where you just stand there and hit things before the run past you, and the most important part is just LoS'ing the riflemen / mages once you have the footmen / priests under control (this is still before they are nuking the healer of course..)...

I find all of this to be simple and second-nature as a warrior.. Now when I'm on my rogue, I seem to find the worst tanks with the best gear who maybe just aren't trying. I've seen paladins who never throw their shields, DKs that have 2 rune strikes over the course of an entire run, warriors that don't even touch mobs and let them rape the healer.. It's so sad and hard to get through a successful run that I end up logging back over to my warrior and doing it myself.

It's very very sad how many bad players there really are out there.. I actually saw a paladin yesterday who had Eye For An Eye in his PROTECTION spec. I asked him if he planned on getting crit and he proceeded to tell me boastfully that he had enough defense to be uncrittable.. when then asked about his spec, he was silent for the rest of the run..

"Greetings, I am Somnio and I will tank for you today. To make this run go as smooth as possible, please refrain from demons/pets using "Growl" and give me two seconds to gain some aggro on the target. If you need mana or a toilet-break, please let me know. Good luck, and have fun!"

Thats genius, made me chuckle

On topic, i agree with most people here. I MT/OT ToC 10/25 and ICC 10 and the occasional ICC 25 and i only ever have problems in HC's.

My most recent one was last night in ToC 5 HC, on the second encounter when you get 3 packs of the Priest, Monk and the other guy. The whole group asked me to pull the whole room (all 9), now dont get me wrong. When i'm running this with one of my guild healers, i would've done this no probs. But i was running with a shammy healer that was wearing his elemental 2pc T9 and some other DPS pieces (And I had a few points in the first fight where I fell below 20% and had to pop CD’s)

So i thought, no, I’ll do it the safe way thanks and politely said in party chat, ‘We'll do it normally, doesn’t take long’. – With that, the DK ran to the middle pack and put down his AOE, and the mage proceeded to blast a blizzard on the same pack. The hunter MD’d the furthest pack away from me, to me and I had to blow Challenging shout and get the all together. I popped every CD I had and I survived the fight, but the mage and DK got wasted, luckily the hunter was pulling 6k and we burned the pack down before we all died.

To the point, competent tanks get dragged down by the bad dps

Re: Some people really need to learn to tank.

I hate to be a TOTAL bitch in saying this...
    However,

"Survival of the Fittest, Bark Skin, Lifebloom, occasionally ferocious regeneration"

Two of those aren't even Druid CD's... what kinda' feral tank are you rolling, sweetheart? That's something more of 'tallent tree' words and 'cat' abilities meshed together...

Just a bit of friendly 'good tanking' advice from one druid to another... its called 'Survival Instincts', and the other is called 'Frenzied Regeneration'...

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

I've seen a lot of bad tanks. I've seen a lot of bad DPS. I've seen a lot of bad heals. You could have written this topic as "Some people really need to learn to play." and been far more accurate... as well as avoided some of the flames.

(I've also seen great tanks, great DPS, and great heals - YMMV.)

Attitude is a big piece of it, I've found: someone who asks questions, admits mistakes, is generally friendly, and tries is a "good member" in a group, even if their gear/skill isn't up to par. Someone who is ignorant then claims 'other healers heal me while standing in fire' (or similar), does stupid things then blames others, is generally rude, or just doesn't care (afk leech syndrome, for example), is a "bad member" in a group, even if they've got great gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Squishie
    I can tank all of ICC10 without any hassle. (my main is a hunter for 25mans) I can tank all of TOC10 and 25 without a slightest hicup. But as soon as I join a heroic I loose aggro on just about every pack, spend half my time chasing loose adds, and being called a bad tank.

Most 'bad' tanking in my experiance is down to bad DPS.
    probably u in raid have TotT or MD helping you......

Quote Originally Posted by Samin
    Also people need to learn to dps. If there is a skull or red X over the head of the mobs it doesnt mean IGNORE THIS MOB!
    LOL I am sure that many DPS think "SKULL IS BAD" so they attack it last
    "Peace is a lie"

Quote Originally Posted by dotSeed
    What on earth are you talking about. Healing only causes threat equal to 1/2 of the amount actually healed, with the exception of Paladins who cause less threat per HP than other classes. It's been like that since Vanilla. It doesn't matter if your heal crits for two-hundred billion, if the target has full health it causes no threat.
    Wrong, healing causes threat equal to the amount of actual healing done, multiplied by threat reduction talents, divided among the number of mobs in combat unless you are a paladin in which case you benefit from threat reduction without talenting for it (similar to cat form on a druid). Your statement is true if and only if your tank has pulled a 2 mob pack.

I stopped reading the OP when he admitted to death via loose mob on Skadi. Sure some people need to learn how to tank, others need to learn how to dps or learn how to heal, some just need to L2P. Death to a loose mob on Skadi is a L2P issue
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Fornaw
    Wrong, healing causes threat equal to the amount of actual healing done, multiplied by threat reduction talents, divided among the number of mobs in combat unless you are a paladin in which case you benefit from threat reduction without talenting for it (similar to cat form on a druid). Your statement is true if and only if your tank has pulled a 2 mob pack.
    There's an additional modifier of 0.5 per point of healing done -- see wowwiki. So for example, a paladin would cause 0.5 (baseline modifier for all classes) * 0.5 (special paladin passive modifier) = 0.25 threat per point of effective healing, then split that number among targets and so on.

i didn't want to learn to tank, so i just made a pally tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Squishie
    I can tank all of ICC10 without any hassle. (my main is a hunter for 25mans) I can tank all of TOC10 and 25 without a slightest hicup. But as soon as I join a heroic I loose aggro on just about every pack, spend half my time chasing loose adds, and being called a bad tank.

Most 'bad' tanking in my experiance is down to bad DPS.
    If you can't keep multimob aggro you either don't have the skill to do it or you don't care enough, either way it makes you a bad tank in my book.

There are bad tanks, bad dps, and bad healers. Case closed. Quit your whining or quit wow cause you're gonna run across all 3 every day.

Deleted

Actually about 3/4 heroic tanks are complete fails and the rest will get by somehow. It's the same with healers and DPS but you notice it less as 1 crappy DPS doesn't really make much difference and a bad healer, when the tank does okay doesn't hurt the group as much, since the tank is the only on taking damage (most of the time) and not that much of it.

I kinda have to do minimal of 3 heroics per day and I'm really starting to hate them and lose patience with the scrub tanks there. I never pull before the tank but I still end up tanking everything while the tank is still there, bashing one mob and drooling. Today we actually had a ret paladin with 21k health, who signed as a tank, didn't even use righteous fury (so he didn't keep any aggro with hes 1.2k DPS) and who's entire vocabulary consisted of "plz" when we tried to boot him.