Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

why is Norton bad?

i am currently using Norton Internet Security 2008. however, every time i mention i am using norton in a thread, people laugh at me using it.

i don't get it. i ran almost 2 years without getting a virus or reinstalling windows. i have not yet gotten a keylogger. my account has not yet been "hacked" in the 1.5 years i have it. i am getting myself an authenticator in the near future.

what is so bad about Norton that it is not recommended?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: why is Norton bad?

The impressions Norton has made to you are positive, which is why you bought the program, and you are satisfied by their program, so what ever people tell you shouldn't matter.
    I guess the reason why some people (often young players) hate Norton is because it costs money, and seems to deliver the same thing as many free virus programs (not sure about this).

It used to be the worst CPU and memory hog available.

It's footprint is a lot smaller nowadays, Norton isn't that bad now.

Deleted

Back in the days (7+ years ago) Norton used to be very memory hogging and it used quite some CPU resources. Right now it has fixed a lot, if not all of those problems, and it is in fact a quite good anti-virus program.

People just like to hold on to the old ideas, while not even having tried the version that's around nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by nzall
    i am currently using Norton Internet Security 2008. however, every time i mention i am using norton in a thread, people laugh at me using it.

i don't get it. i ran almost 2 years without getting a virus or reinstalling windows. i have not yet gotten a keylogger. my account has not yet been "hacked" in the 1.5 years i have it. i am getting myself an authenticator in the near future.

what is so bad about Norton that it is not recommended?
    Norton has a reputation for slowing a machine down to a mere crawl. I have to say these days they have improved it drastically and no longer does it take up so much memory or does ridiculous scans whilst working on a machine which take 5 hours! But one thing still remains with norton... its a bugger to remove, norton have there own tool online which is needed to completely remove the program lol I work for a computer retailer and i sell these programs everyday. the only factor i think still lets norton down is its not too hot with spyware. viruses and other threats is has moderate to good defense with but spyware i would say is poor.

I guess the ppl who are laughing at you are the ppl who are too tight to pay £30 for a year of security anf constantly state free anti-virus software is better when in fact it isnt, for one its not a complete security package, i find they conflict with one another and most likely the companys are using the user's data for some sort of market which is where they make there money from it. No one makes and updates and runs a program for free. Noone! I use Kaspersky internet security 2010 atm and i have to say its brilliant, one of the best out there! its AV is award winning and it picks up every little threat going, even with the firewall off it still detects 98% of threats.

So ignore others if it works for you and you haven't been hacked then continue to use it, the saying goes " If it aint broken, dont fix it!"

Deleted

Aye, it's simply the story of many years ago that survived on the web, and people cba to change their opinion

Nothing wrong with norton in my experience, Use what you like. I like Norton, but i like Kaspersky better, If i am wrong for using it who cares i found a program that works for me (unless i get some serious facts on why i shouldn't.)
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

In the past it was awful and useless, now it is less awful and useless.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by chaud
    In the past it was awful and useless, now it is less awful and useless.
    That's waaaaaay too negative imho.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Logicaly
    That's waaaaaay too negative imho.
    Rather negative, but a feeling that a lot of people carry. I refuse to use Norton because of past problems. I refuse to use Symantec because we use it at work and it's garbage. I use a combo of Malware Bytes and Avira Anti-Virus, personally.

I've never used their anti virus, people have beefs with antivirus' because they forget to update them or renew them and blame it for being stupid and downloading dome crap. Others scoff at paid antivirus programs because you can get similar protection for free. Like others have said the "slows the machine down" any antivirus or computer scanner will slow down a machine if not configured correctly.

I've used ghost solutions suite for many years to manage my computer images at work and I couldn't be happier with it, great product. Something goes wrong, boot to a restore partition, reimage form the network, and windows server reloads all the programs 5 minutes of downtime, love it.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    Rather negative, but a feeling that a lot of people carry. I refuse to use Norton because of past problems. I refuse to use Symantec because we use it at work and it's garbage. I use a combo of Malware Bytes and Avira Anti-Virus, personally.
    That's why I'm saying people should have another look at it, and not stick with the opinions formed years ago. I used to think the same, don't worry. But I've given it another try, and it works flawlessly for me now. I've used MBAM & Avira as well, but imo Norton just feels better. (Just my opinion, everyone is entitles to their own )

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Logicaly
    That's why I'm saying people should have another look at it, and not stick with the opinions formed years ago. I used to think the same, don't worry. But I've given it another try, and it works flawlessly for me now. I've used MBAM & Avira as well, but imo Norton just feels better. (Just my opinion, everyone is entitles to their own )
    Yeah, I'm not saying my setup is the only way. I'm not saying that Norton is bad. I just don't usually give a company a second chance. My general opinion is that different software works for different people. A lot of computer setup is user preference.

I remember reading an article on pcworld.com(feel free to dig for it) that was an overview of a professional study done on 20 or more free and payed full protection packages. As I recall, Norton came in second. I ended up trying it on one of my office computers and find it to have been VASTLY improved since their earlier, more pathetic models. Admittedly I still run malwarebytes on every computer I have controll over since Norton is a bit lacking in heuristic scanning. Conclusion: was bad. Now it's fine.

I would like to include that it no longer runs non-prompted scans during use.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary
    I remember reading an article on pcworld.com(feel free to dig for it) that was an overview of a professional study done on 20 or more free and payed full protection packages. As I recall, Norton came in second. I ended up trying it on one of my office computers and find it to have been VASTLY improved since their earlier, more pathetic models. Admittedly I still run malwarebytes on every computer I have controll over since Norton is a bit lacking in heuristic scanning. Conclusion: was bad. Now it's fine.

I would like to include that it no longer runs non-prompted scans during use.
    Thanks for that, I feel exactly the same. I had problems disabling the back-up warnings though, but besides that it's been absolutely ace. Gotta love it really

Me and my friends used to joke that norton was worse then the virus's it was protecting against. Haven't tried it recently.
    But your eyes are drawn of charcoal they're black they're so cold they're so imperfect because they see a sleeping world where waking isn't worth it

When I first started playing WoW (5 years ago), norton would pop-up it would make my computer crash.

Now I have zero problems with it and don't even notice it scanning in the background.

I've also never had a virus with Norton. And I do quite a bit of file-sharing.

Norton used to suck donkeys, now it just kinda sucks. Plus an active antivirus program is unnecessary with safe surfing habits. I run firefox with adblock plus and NoScript, and run a Malwarebytes scan once a week, so far everything has come up clean for the past year I've been doing it this way.
    DERP DA DERP

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Blueman
    Norton used to suck donkeys, now it just kinda sucks. Plus an active antivirus program is unnecessary with safe surfing habits. I run firefox with adblock plus and NoScript, and run a Malwarebytes scan once a week, so far everything has come up clean for the past year I've been doing it this way.
    I completely disagree with that. Have you tried Norton recently? Or just making things up here? What's wrong with it at the moment?
    While Firefox & Noscript are good, you reduce the ease of use. It's very user-unfriendly that way. Also (for example) you can still get infected through infected USB sticks or simply a dodgy site that doesn't use a script to infect you.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueman
    Norton used to suck donkeys, now it just kinda sucks.
    As I mentioned earlier, in a professional study Norton placed second over both free and payed protection services. It's somewhere on pcworld.com and I would find it for you if I were not on my Iphone.